Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Jan 28, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #286 of 563
Sometime you can't teach these stuff, some people need to learn it on their own.

Haha cant say i didnt try! :)

But in all seriousness i would seriously get the sony mdr 1r. Everytime i go to the mall i find myself listening to the demo for a long time, off my iphone. And i love th design in the silver and brown, its soo classy, and the sound is so rich and smooth, not even but i dun care, pure music enjoyment

Jan 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM Post #287 of 563
I do miss my MDR-1R, I love the fact that it's not a bulky mess when worn. I thought the new MDR-10RNC would be a good replacement but it is not. I definitely prefer the 1R's sound signature over the 10R.

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #288 of 563
Again there is no "best". The ath m50 is a very well regarded headphone here on head fi and beyond. I think its rather comfy too. Im in different about the sound. Its good not my preferred sound sig. I had only tried it for maybe 10 mins though.

If u wan great sound and comfort the sony mdr 1r would be my pick. The large earcups will fit almost anyone, except those with ears that especially stick out. They sound very smooth and midbassy. With some isolation.

If you want cheaper, i like the philips downtown ( amzon has them dirt cheap atm) like 20-50 and tyll on innerfidelity had them on the wall of fame a while back. They look great imo ( in the grey, brown) they have a bright purple as well. The earcups come in some soft pillowly material with good isolation. Havent owned it personally but saw in reviewwd how soft everything is.

Btw i have never seen anyone recommend to 558, ive seen ppl recommend th jvc ha 400,500 , cal , m50s, monoprice 8230 the most

Well all these headphones are 'well regarded', what I'm getting at is how well they are regarded vs each other. I mean a dodge caliber is a great car, but compared to anything else in it's price it's a piece of junk. From what I understand a lot of people dislike the sound profile and quality compared to more balanced headphones (but on it's own, sure, it's great). 

The JVC HA400, 500, monoprice 8230, mdr-1r, I've never really heard of these being recommended, I'll look into them. I see mostly the 558 being recommended by people who've done direct comparisons. 

It seems to me that there is a best, it seems like some headphones have better sound stage, better sound quality, better comfort. There's varying sound profiles, and that's a preferential thing, but even then it seems certain profiles are more preferable to others (ie balanced vs not-balanced, bright vs warm). There are lots of good headphones but it seems you can really slim down the choices if you have certain needs, ie if you don't need closed, then there's not many open to choose from (pretty much the 558 really). If you want a certain sound profile, etc.

MDR-1R I can only find for like $200+, seems a bit out of my price range. 

Jan 28, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #289 of 563

Well all these headphones are 'well regarded', what I'm getting at is how well they are regarded vs each other. I mean a dodge caliber is a great car, but compared to anything else in it's price it's a piece of junk. From what I understand a lot of people dislike the sound profile and quality compared to more balanced headphones (but on it's own, sure, it's great). 

The JVC HA400, 500, monoprice 8230, mdr-1r, I've never really heard of these being recommended, I'll look into them. I see mostly the 558 being recommended by people who've done direct comparisons. 

It seems to me that there is a best, it seems like some headphones have better sound stage, better sound quality, better comfort. There's varying sound profiles, and that's a preferential thing, but even then it seems certain profiles are more preferable to others (ie balanced vs not-balanced, bright vs warm). There are lots of good headphones but it seems you can really slim down the choices if you have certain needs, ie if you don't need closed, then there's not many open to choose from (pretty much the 558 really). If you want a certain sound profile, etc.

MDR-1R I can only find for like $200+, seems a bit out of my price range. 

depends what you mean by better sound stage. in terms of instrument placement? width? depth?

for example i have the most experience with iems, the vsonic gr07 have a wide soundstage for an iem but its rather thin and does not have the greatest depth in terms of layering
while listening to the re400 which is a smaller soundstage, instrument placement is more precise and theres better layering in the music 

lemme give you some insight on my little journey into headphones, i thought i wanted a more neutral headphone, so i went for the noontec zoro (another well regarded headphone here on headfi, for their price to performance ratio)

they are really good but i found that the treble was not as well extended enough for my taste

then i tried for the neutral profile again with the re400, the bass was not really enough for me, it was fantastic in terms of clarity and performance

which is why i went for the vsonic gr07 be, which i find the amazing, but even then i would like maybe 1-2 db more bass.

but i find myself going back to the noontec zoro sometimes due to the lack of listening fatigue because of the rolled off treble ,

but i then wanted to try i like a brighter sound signature (which is why i own the jvc fxd80)

but after owning the jvc fxd80 which has tremendous bass performance (not muddy at all, but elevated) and fantastic and well extended treble (but there is a mid range suck out, and the mids are rather unnatural for voices)  i still prefered the darker signature of the monster turbines (because of the thicker mids and its sounds more natural)

what i'm saying is what you think you want, might not be actually what you want. as bad as this sound sometimes you just have to pull the trigger and try it.

like even now for me i like all kinds of sound signatures, i thought i wanted neutral but i guess not! even the gr07 be which is my favorite at the moment has some glaring flaws as well, that i find some other iems exceeding them. 

similar in terms of women/ or men (whatever your preferences is) your ideal in this cause sound sig might not actually be for you. 

sometimes the right combination of bass,mid and treble sound stage, comfort etc could lead you to music enjoyment. i find that these forum are informative but too many people use the word "best" and "greatest". and if you noticed many people above my posts agree that there is no best really. thats too misleading

also theres so many thread out there i'm not surprised you haven't heard of the ones i listed, and i'm not surprised i didn't hear about the 558, you can only go though so much.

sorry these post are off topic from the cal posting. my apologies. (on an off note, i really want to try these babies out, i have never heard of the original cal) and for 129$ these seem like too much value for that price =) their a bit bulky (on the head) mind you but oh wellz

Jan 28, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #290 of 563
Yea I'm not sure what I'd like. I went to best buy and guitar center to try out headphones, most were either trendy or various budget audiophile phones. I couldn't really get much feel for warm, dark, neutral, brighter, etc, sound profiles or what I'd like more. I saw the beats were extremely uncomfortable, overblown but muddled bass, lack of details, and extremely shrill highs. I did a very A/B comparison of the AKG S240 vs Shure SHR240A, the former was the most comfortable headphones I tried by far, the latter kinda sucked in terms of comfort and had shrill, fatiguing highs. Seemed to have a different bass, more body to the bass or something though, but they are closed vs the semi-open AKGs.

I tried a few others out...  sennheiser 438s were really comfortable (so i know the 558s will be comfortable), didn't a/b them to the AKGs though. There was a sony 10rnc that sounded great, brand new was comfortable but the used model was a bit nasty, the pads got stiff so they were uncomfortable (im guessing they wont last very long). 

I mean they all sound great really. I dunno what I'd like. I doubt I'd even notice what I'd like more of a dark, neutral, warm headphone in a face off even in A/Bing. 

As for the JVC 500, I wish I heard about them earlier, I see a lot of back and forth between those and the Superluxes. However I hear the 500s can be uncomfortable, and I really need super comfortable, 8+ hour comfort. The superluxes have more stage, a novelty I think I am interested in though, too. Monoprice 8320 is iem and that's not comfortable.

I went ahead and purchased 681 Evos (more comfort already super comfortable 668bs, super cheap). I still need a sub-$150 headphone, so the CAL2s are still on my shortlist for that, but I think I'm leaning towards the 558 for being open. I mean I'm not ruling anything out based on sound profile, although I will lean to something more for electronic music (i dont even know what profile is best for that, then again I've heard the same headhones be called good and bad for electronic multiple times, ie 668b, 681s, 558s). 

Jan 28, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #291 of 563
Yea I'm not sure what I'd like. I went to best buy and guitar center to try out headphones, most were either trendy or various budget audiophile phones. I couldn't really get much feel for warm, dark, neutral, brighter, etc, sound profiles or what I'd like more. I saw the beats were extremely uncomfortable, overblown but muddled bass, lack of details, and extremely shrill highs. I did a very A/B comparison of the AKG S240 vs Shure SHR240A, the former was the most comfortable headphones I tried by far, the latter kinda sucked in terms of comfort and had shrill, fatiguing highs. Seemed to have a different bass, more body to the bass or something though, but they are closed vs the semi-open AKGs.

I tried a few others out...  sennheiser 438s were really comfortable (so i know the 558s will be comfortable), didn't a/b them to the AKGs though. There was a sony 10rnc that sounded great, brand new was comfortable but the used model was a bit nasty, the pads got stiff so they were uncomfortable (im guessing they wont last very long). 

I mean they all sound great really. I dunno what I'd like. I doubt I'd even notice what I'd like more of a dark, neutral, warm headphone in a face off even in A/Bing. 

As for the JVC 500, I wish I heard about them earlier, I see a lot of back and forth between those and the Superluxes. However I hear the 500s can be uncomfortable, and I really need super comfortable, 8+ hour comfort. The superluxes have more stage, a novelty I think I am interested in though, too. Monoprice 8320 is iem and that's not comfortable.

I went ahead and purchased 681 Evos (more comfort already super comfortable 668bs, super cheap). I still need a sub-$150 headphone, so the CAL2s are still on my shortlist for that, but I think I'm leaning towards the 558 for being open. I mean I'm not ruling anything out based on sound profile, although I will lean to something more for electronic music (i dont even know what profile is best for that, then again I've heard the same headhones be called good and bad for electronic multiple times, ie 668b, 681s, 558s). 

My mistake its the monoprice 8323 i think dirt cheap, a poormans ath50 essentially. But fantastic for its price. Needs a headband cushion though (10$ extra) so all in all 34$?

Also on ur dodge example, theres a lot of headphones where their price is inflated either because their endorsed ( beats), reputable brand (bose, senn, shure). If ur on budget u kinda have to siffle through everything, every company has a great product (ex creative with cal, monoprice with their 8323, audio technica with their athm50). Theses are not as well known, only takes a little research. Which u seem to have done, only thing left is to try, whether buying or demoing.

Tbh u prob wont get it right the first time,:frowning2: ull always find something missing. Sadly but imo second and third time is a lot better oxe u have the experience

Jan 28, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #292 of 563
I mean I'm all for value, I'm just looking for something a little nicer then a solid $50 headphone. I just ordered a 681 evo for my gf. But I mean if the best sub100 phone is as good as the best sub200 phone, or not noticeably worse, then Ill just get another evo.

I know the 558s are good, I just am not sure its significantly better then the evos. I dont think I have a strong enough taste to prefer neutral, dark, etc over another, just as long as the quality is there and no, you know, shrill/sibilance, or that muffled sound you hear like when crappy speakers are cranked up. and comfort.

Jan 29, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #293 of 563
Anyone can compare these (or the CAL!) against the AKG K550s. I'm able to get either one of these for roughly the same price.

Jan 29, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #294 of 563
Gift for your gal..?
wow this ONTO is a reasonably GOOD gift..it comes in RED too. 
I just been given one. SPACIOUS sounding, quite clear vocals, bass isnt hugh but ok for casual listening whilst out on the streets. 
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-ON3ABK-Portable-Adjustable-Headphones/dp/B002GYVYYE/ref=pd_sim_sbs_e_1

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #295 of 563
My Aurvana live 2 just arrived today. SQ wise was very very very similar to original Aurvana live. In fact if I have to choose which has a better SQ, i would edge towards the original aurvana live, but do note that this original CAL! already has a few hundred hours burnt in.
So if any of you wishing that will be a closer to d2000/d5000, then this will disappoint you.
Comfort wise, CAL! 2 wins hand down, and able to isolate noise a little better. Even though the Clamping force is bigger on CAL!2, the bigger cup size means that the ears will not be pressed down like like original CAL! which is the source of discomfort. The cable provided is a piece of crap, and I have to fiddle with connection when plugged into 3.5mm to headphone converter to get rid of the "echo" sound.

Feb 4, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #296 of 563
  My Aurvana live 2 just arrived today. SQ wise was very very very similar to original Aurvana live. In fact if I have to choose which has a better SQ, i would edge towards the original aurvana live, but do note that this original CAL! already has a few hundred hours burnt in.
So if any of you wishing that will be a closer to d2000/d5000, then this will disappoint you.
Comfort wise, CAL! 2 wins hand down, and able to isolate noise a little better. Even though the Clamping force is bigger on CAL!2, the bigger cup size means that the ears will not be pressed down like like original CAL! which is the source of discomfort. The cable provided is a piece of crap, and I have to fiddle with connection when plugged into 3.5mm to headphone converter to get rid of the "echo" sound.

Have much more bass than the original CAL?
Tips CAL CAL 2 to me that I have 1??
Improve performance with burn-in?? ...

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:20 AM Post #297 of 563
  Have much more bass than the original CAL?
Tips CAL CAL 2 to me that I have 1??
Improve performance with burn-in?? ...

I just got CAL!2 today, so I cannot comment on the burn in. Bass seems similar to original CAL! CAL!2 seems to have slightly more impact, but this may be placebo.
The main advantage of this over the original one is comfort (very important to me) and replaceable cable. The cable in the original is weak and flimsy and will surely degrade after some pulling. If you are good at modding, I will recommend the original one over this, since modding will get rid of the weaknesses I have just mentioned.

Feb 4, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #298 of 563

Digita il testo o l'indirizzo di un sito web oppure traduci un documento.
Annulla

Forse cercavi: Allora tienici aggiornati se le performance migliorano...altrimenti

So keep us updated if performance improves otherwise ... considering it costs twice the CAL is not convenient ...
beerchug.gif

Feb 4, 2014 at 12:54 PM Post #299 of 563
CAL!2 bass quality surpasses the classic CAL! :better bass punch and extension, nice level of detail and decent soundstage. It only gets better with burn in, i doubt it's placebo :)

That's what i recall from a few days test, it only remain to try the premium models. Hopefully in the next months. 

Feb 6, 2014 at 9:05 AM Post #300 of 563
After 10 hours of burn in, I say any inferior sound I previously hear compared to Orginal CAL! is gone. These 2 cans are very similar in sound. CAL!2 has more bass impact, only slightly more. In terms of Soundstage Original CAL! is slightly smaller, probably because the driver is closer to ear. Original CAL! sounds louder at the same volume at the same dial level. Mids and highs are the same, cannot tell any difference.
In terms of SQ, CAL!2 are not worth twice price of CAL! if you solely comparing only these 2 cans, however, it is still reasonably priced comparing to other headphones around this price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back