Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Apr 10, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #346 of 563
  Received the CAL!2 just over a day ago.
Straight out of the box sound was nice & luscious...
They have been burning-in now since then: I'll see what happens.
Still undecided between CAL2 and MOE, but MOE (even though more "crispy") are certainly much much less confortable.

In my quest for a portable replacement for my former Denon ah-d2000 I think I'm getting closer.
I've tried the: Denon dn700 DJ, AKG 545, Beyers dt1350, v-Moda but none of them got close......

Which V-Moda did you try and how did it not measure up? I love both my Denon AH-D1001, and AH-D2000, but ironically (regarding the issues stated previously with the volume control cord) am actually looking for one with a removable cable with iPhone mic/control option. All the ones I've seen that are over-the-ear option are more than twice as expensive - PSB M4U1, Sennheiser Momentum, NAD Viso HP50 (leaning towards this) and V-Moda Crossfade M-100. 

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #347 of 563
I tried, still have, the Crossfade m100..
I'm returning the CAL!2 today: similar to the v-Moda but v-Moda are better.
and, as I said, v-Moda are, to me, inferior to MOEs: they are bassy, but so are the MOE, and these last ones are also "crispier": net result is that the v-Moda simply sound darker, not bassier.
Oh: and, esthetically, the MOE are extremely nice. Major fault for me: they are too small (they look like 'baby headphones") and sit unconfortably on my ears.....it's a pity.

Apr 10, 2014 at 9:19 AM Post #350 of 563
CAL2 is built better and you can change the cable. You can also 'flat pack' them!!

The original CAL has less of a bass hump and because of this, some may well prefer it.

The CAL2 has much more weight and 'sounds' like a bigger headphone but for some, the bass can be a little too strong. It's a warm headphone and reasonably comfortable. The ear spaces aren't huge, but it is possible to get the ears in there comfortably.

I have both and don't mind either, although the bass on the CAL2 can be a bit ott for me sometimes.

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:17 PM Post #351 of 563
Apr 10, 2014 at 12:22 PM Post #352 of 563

~55mm

I certainly appreciate you taking the time for me.  I guess not too many other people own rulers these days 
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 10, 2014 at 12:25 PM Post #353 of 563
  I certainly appreciate you taking the time for me.  I guess not too many other people own rulers these days 
evil_smiley.gif

It's a highly useful tool.  I would hate not to have one.  And mine is a more accurate stainless steel one, too.  =D

Apr 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #354 of 563
  CAL2 is built better and you can change the cable. You can also 'flat pack' them!!

The original CAL has less of a bass hump and because of this, some may well prefer it.

The CAL2 has much more weight and 'sounds' like a bigger headphone but for some, the bass can be a little too strong. It's a warm headphone and reasonably comfortable. The ear spaces aren't huge, but it is possible to get the ears in there comfortably.

I have both and don't mind either, although the bass on the CAL2 can be a bit ott for me sometimes.

The difference is only in the bass? Or even change the mids and highs?? Bigger stage? ... according to you should buy for anyone who owns CAL CAL 2 1? Large differences?

Apr 10, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #355 of 563
The bass is the first thing you notice, which to me means that it is quite a long way from a neutral kind of sound. I can understand people preferring the original CAL but can also see the attraction to the CAL2's raised bass.

The bass kind of keeps your attention with this headphone. It is a very different headphone to the original.

Headstage for me with headphones is a difficult thing to hear. I tend to hear everything IN my head, not around me like speakers and I also hear things going backwards, towards the back of my head rather than pushed forward in front of my face. I guess the sound is 'wide' but for me, it's the bass that dominates the whole sound of the CAL2.

I'm not certain it's a huge step up from the original. It's more impressive due to the bass, so if you like loads of it, then for you it would be a good option. There are lots of descriptions at the start of this thread, but I suggest you take a look at frequency response charts and you'll see what I mean by a raised bass!! It's quite a blunderbuss.

I wouldn't recommend anyone to buy any gear since what may suit me may well not suit you; especially with regard to headphones. The first thing you'd probably notice is the huge bass. For me, it dominates and the original CAL (although not neutral either) is a little 'flatter' and more balanced sounding. It's also quite a bit cheaper.

Apr 11, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #357 of 563
  Thanks thanks thanks!!!
Bah 120€ and the big difference is the bass...mmmmmm

That's my feeling too. I'd rather it was cheaper, then I'd feel happier about it. (I'm trying not to put it down) It's a pleasant headphone with a big hearted bass.

Also, I did read earler that you were advised against the DT770. I don't entirely agree with that either. I use the DT770 as well sometimes, but they do vary with the one that you get. The one I have is the DT770 pro, 250 ohms. There are other versions that sound slightly different. It's not as simple as 'dt770'.

The 250 ohm version has a stronger treble than the others and less bass weight. (Mids are less strong in all of them) The 80 ohm has a fatter bass - let alone the new variants. The BBC use DT770's quite a bit. (and DT100's)

My feeling is that the DT770 is a better headphone, but whether you'd like the sound is another matter.

Closed headphones are quite a minefield.

Amongst the ones I use to work with and at home I kind of skip between:

Fischer Audio variant (FA-003) - The variants can be had VERY cheaply.
DT770 pro 250 oms.
DT150
DT250
HD250
HD25
AT a900
Fostex T40 and t50 (modded)
AKG K550 (modded)

All sound so different and I can never decide what to use if I'm honest.

With time, I go for the CAL2 less and less because of the bass quantity.

Apr 11, 2014 at 7:43 AM Post #358 of 563
I am tempted to try JVC HA-S680 headphones to have a CAL different from mine. I'm afraid that CAL2 as sound is very similar to my CAL ... maybe with more bass I like best but not the risk ...

Apr 16, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #359 of 563
Short impressions on Aurvana Gold

I find this can sonically competent in the wireless, active noise cancellation (ANC)mode,
Something like a shure 840 in a slightly hallish presentation.
Music thru Spotify, or movies on YouTube...very enjoyable on my iPad.
When ANC is turned on, u are in your own sonic oyster :)

When wired, or with ANC turned off, the sound is more diffused, dulled....
To a degree I dun see myself dwelling in those mods, unless the battery is dead.
I did a mod which healed this infirmity, I fear no battery failure now.:p

doublesidetaped a layer of corkstrip on the inner side of the foam.

I do like this Gold can...
V easy to Bluetooth, all the buttons neatly arranged on the right cup.
V comfy, not tat heavy to bother me, I am LCD2trained.

If u are looking for a wireless ANC can, give it a shot if u find one for 150:)

Apr 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #360 of 563
HM5 pads work very well with these . Takes the sound, isolation and comfort to another level. A must mod

Users who are viewing this thread

Back