Creative Aurvana Live! 2 Review and Mods
Dec 17, 2013 at 4:09 PM Post #16 of 36
  The bass is as strong as the DT770 for sure. It has a big hearted sound. To me - similar to large speakers. It reminds me of the way that the Senn CX300/400's are described as 'bass led'. These are bass led but are a great match for Ipods and the like since they are quite sensitive. They go really very low for a cheapish headphone. Bass lines are very easy to follow in quite complex mixes.

Extension into the treble is also good. It's not a toppy sound at all but there is the old CAL sparkle up there. To me, they sound like a grown up version of the original CAL. They are better for sure. There is a lot of detail in the top but the bass is big and so you get the impression at first that it isn't detailed. in fact, it does reveal some subtle stuff as well. I was listening to Transatlantic today and not only does the CAL2 give this big, warm sound that really communicates well but it also showed that on some of the tracks, instruments had been recorded in a different room and was easily detected on them.

I'd say that it is a very much 'bass led' headphone with a treble sparkle in the top. no harshness whatsoever. It's also very pleasant when played loud because of this.

Although I don't like the red version (colour), I have become quite attached to its really individual sound since it does sound like a full sized floor speaker!

This cable is ideal and better than the one that comes with it by a long way:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261255113290?var=560215640802&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

It's available in different lengths and doesn't play up on a stereo out from the amp as the supplied lead does. The lead that comes with it is designed for Ipods and phones. No good with a stereo out since the plug has three sections, not two which is a pain.

I'd say that it sounds like something more expensive. I kept away from the modding thread on this headphone since it's too new to start pulling it about. However, if I were to modify it, I would consider lowering the bass quantity in order to make it 'flatter' sounding. I have a passive filter that actually does this if I want to but I enjoy its full bodied sound if I'm honest.

@iancraig

I'm considering that cable! Looks really nice. Is it an official Sennheiser cable?

But what about the headphone end when you need to convert it from 3.5 to 2.5mm? Any recomendations on quality converters that won't affect sound quality too much?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it already ships with adapters/converters.

Dec 17, 2013 at 5:32 PM Post #18 of 36
Thanks kingpage for the review! As somebody who enjoys the sound of the original CAL!, this new version has my attention. My only worry is that many impressions seem describe them as being bassier than the original.

That's an Oyaide cable, not from Sennheiser.

The official Sennheiser short cable is HD 5X8 or HD 5X8 ShortCable. It sells for about $12 / ¥1600 / £10 depending on where you are.

I only have the Senn short cable, but many people here are happy with the cable in the ebay link posted earlier.

Dec 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #19 of 36
  @iancraig

I'm considering that cable! Looks really nice. Is it an official Sennheiser cable?

But what about the headphone end when you need to convert it from 3.5 to 2.5mm? Any recomendations on quality converters that won't affect sound quality too much?

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently it already ships with adapters/converters.

It's not an official Senn cable but it is very nice. It works fine with the CAL2.

I never got any adapters with my CAL2 and the cable is useless on a normal stereo amp. I contacted Creative UK about it and they basically gave a wishy washy answer saying that I would have to look for other cables. ie - they won't be supplying any, which i think is a little shabby. They could easily have done what senn did with the Momentum and provide an Ipod lead as well as one without a mic, just a straight stereo cable.

So I guess, you need to add and extra £10 for a cable!!

I like the headphone sound though. It is bass led for sure but it is nice and clear in the top. The funny thing is that I don't get boom with mens' voices as you tend to with most bassy headphones. This has quite a natural sound with a boosted bass. Not as much bass as the Denon portable headphones. (I have them too) I'd say the Denons are basshead type headphones. These are just big and rosy!! To me, they sound like large speakers.

Dec 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 36

It's not an official Senn cable but it is very nice. It works fine with the CAL2.

I never got any adapters with my CAL2 and the cable is useless on a normal stereo amp. I contacted Creative UK about it and they basically gave a wishy washy answer saying that I would have to look for other cables. ie - they won't be supplying any, which i think is a little shabby. They could easily have done what senn did with the Momentum and provide an Ipod lead as well as one without a mic, just a straight stereo cable.

So I guess, you need to add and extra £10 for a cable!!

I like the headphone sound though. It is bass led for sure but it is nice and clear in the top. The funny thing is that I don't get boom with mens' voices as you tend to with most bassy headphones. This has quite a natural sound with a boosted bass. Not as much bass as the Denon portable headphones. (I have them too) I'd say the Denons are basshead type headphones. These are just big and rosy!! To me, they sound like large speakers.

You have the CAL 2?
Me advice? Compared to CAL 1 (which I own) what is the difference?
What would you compare the headphones? Panasonic HTF600?

Dec 19, 2013 at 7:41 AM Post #21 of 36
The CAL2 has more bass quantity then the CAL1 and the soundstage seems wider. It has bigger cups and is more comfortable to wear as well. The CAL2 is an improvement for sure.

I don't have the Panasonic headphone.

Dec 19, 2013 at 9:51 AM Post #23 of 36
Tips to buy instead of CAL 1 CAL 2? Compared to the beyer 770?

I'm kind of up in the air about the CAL2, DT770 32ohm, Master tracks XC, and beats studios. They all have things I like and things I don't. Sadly many I haven't heard, and have to go on thoughts of others.

Feb 9, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #24 of 36
Here is my review on Aurvana 2. Using a cable from HD598 really improved the sound!

http://headmania.org/2014/02/09/creative-aurvana-live-2-review/

I suspect this cable to be a good match too. That is the cheapest pcocc cable i've ever seen!

Feb 13, 2014 at 5:54 AM Post #26 of 36
  In your opinion better CAL2 or Denon 1100??
Denon 1100 under € 60 on amazon.it ...

I have not heard the Denon D1100, just the CAL1  which is based on denon d1001, and I found the cal 2 to be better than cal 1.

Sep 16, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #28 of 36
Well this is a late post but I also did a mod to the CAL! 2. It is a mod that was done to the original CAL as well. The taper mod (stuffing the inside of the earcups, behind the earpads, to push them outwards) works great but because it moves the drivers away from your ears you will need more power or you will need to raise the volume a little more. The soundstage opened up even more and comfort for me increased. I have really big ears so my ears lightly touched the inside of the headphone cups. With the mod that issue gone. So much space for ears now. Absolutely no sound degradation occurred. 

Nov 9, 2014 at 10:42 AM Post #29 of 36
Is this a good upgrade from the Bose AE2? And are they good for classical, new age and Jazz.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:04 PM Post #30 of 36
These CAL 2 will definitely be tossed in my shopping cart on my next order on Amazon. Sadly I got no place to try before I buy them, nearest Best Buy are limited due to closing of the store itself. Target and Circuit City gone too. I simply got nothing left but 30-day Amazon returns which might annoy them since my testing list has quite a phew on queue:
Creative Aurvana Live! 2
Creative Aurvana Live! 1
HyperX Cloud II Gaming Headset
Samsung Level On Premium Headphones
V-Moda LP
V-Moda M-80

^ Buying all these 2 by 2 and returning the unsatisfying one might make Amazon blacklist me for sure 
devil_face.gif

BUT I JUST MUST TRY THE CAL 2 AT LEAST!! So those are first in line.

I read Mad Lust Envys review on the CAL! 1 and if the CAL! 2 sound better or similar to what Envy described then its worth a try. My only concern on CAL 1 was it didn't have a mic/remote for using on my Moto X android phone and loudness/isolation but seems CAL! 2 addressed those issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back