Crazy prices of new flagships
May 5, 2016 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

erik701

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

what you think about prices of new full size headphones flaships? I mean 4k for Audeze LCD-4, 3k for Hifiman HE1000, where is the limit? I cannot forget to mention Abyss 1266 which are extremely expensive, in my opinion the most overpriced headphones on the market now. I'm not mentioning new Orpheus or expected price for Hifiman Shangri-La. It's not that long time when flagship headphones cost around 500. I know there are a lot of factors like inflation etc. but anyway, should I expect 8k for Audeze LCD-5? How much should I expect for successor of HD800? (I don't consider HD800S or new Orpheus as successor of HD800 of course.)

Another topic would be rare headphones like SONY MDR-R10, currently I seriously want to buy one, but people are crazy these days with their expected prices for these pair of headphones. Two weeks ago there was one R10 sold for 14k. I know, they were in mint condition, played just for few hours but anyway, it's too much for headphones which will be used for listening. I think buyer is some kind of collector or SONY enthusiast, not actual audiophile.

I personally spent  almost 2000€ for Audeze LCD-3 and I love them, but I'm little disappointed when I see this trend to double price of predecessor. 

By this article I just wanted to express my feelings and see if somebody has the same opinion. I love music, I enjoy listening as much often as I can, I love my HD800 and LCD-3, but I think companies are try us as customers, how much we are willing to pay... I know, there are people which don't have problem with money and money is not object for them, but the most of us are just averagely earning people, enthusiasts trying to enjoy this beautiful hobby.

THANK YOU

May 5, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #2 of 10
I'm glad someone mentioned this. Whenever I merely think about opening up this topic here people seem to get hurt and offended. 

As a student, I think all audiophile equipment is priced way too damn high. Its crazy. But the annoying thing is that companies know that demand for such products is inelastic. No matter how high they jack the prices up, some people are still going to buy them. 

May 6, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #3 of 10
  As a student, I think all audiophile equipment is priced way too damn high. Its crazy. But the annoying thing is that companies know that demand for such products is inelastic. No matter how high they jack the prices up, some people are still going to buy them. 

At least with something like this the price was jacked up by the freight costs, plus the hire people trained to make pianos. Depending on the dealer, you get other bonuses. Here they'll deliver and set it up at your house, so you won't have to do it yourself and then pay a chiropractor.

May 7, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 10
The only way this trend is going to stop is if people start voting with their feet and stop paying silly money for new, and in the case of the R10, used headphones. As long as it continues to offer a viable route to profit, companies like Audeze, HiFiMan, A&K et al will continue to push the boundaries of pricing. If you don't want to pay 4k+ for a pair of headphones (I know I don't), then draw the line and don't buy, simple as that. Console yourself with the knowledge that you haven't been taken for a ride - or at least, less of a ride! I agree with you on the Abyss, having demoed them a couple of times - ridiculously overpriced. IMO the HD 800 S is at least as good, for about a third of the price - so there's no need to feel like you're missing out on something. If enough people stop paying ridiculously inflated prices and the cost of production begins to diminish a company's profit potential, then maybe we'll see an end to it... I'm not optimistic though.

I do get where you're coming from with this rant @erik701, but you're railing against the wind really. You could say the same about any consumer market sector; take the automotive industry - you might say it's unfair that the most exclusive cars out there cost upwards of 250k and are only available to the wealthiest fraction of the population, but that's just the way it is in a tiered, consumer-based society. As long as there's a market, there'll be someone there to capitalize on it.

May 16, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #5 of 10

I do get where you're coming from with this rant @erik701, but you're railing against the wind really. You could say the same about any consumer market sector; take the automotive industry - you might say it's unfair that the most exclusive cars out there cost upwards of 250k and are only available to the wealthiest fraction of the population, but that's just the way it is in a tiered, consumer-based society. As long as there's a market, there'll be someone there to capitalize on it.

Agreed about the nature of the consumer escalator, making a community of knowledgeable people and access to a used marketplace so very valuable. One of the great benefits of a site like Head-Fi  for me is info about extensive inventories explored by the members.  Lots of experienced ears have listened to just about everything.  There's the opportunity to hone in on equipment that I'm interested in and search for used components. Beyond things like mechanical pencils and hiking socks, I've never been able to afford TOTL, but I have been fortunate to find very satisfying used items, sometimes long after they were TOTL, and that has gotten so much easier in the digital world.

The lending library idea has been floated a number of times, but is hard to pull off and there are commercial alternatives like Cable Company.  TubeRoller had an early report of bad luck lending equipment, but it wasn't to members.  The interest in having a member search by location recurs, but I don't think it is available.  The profile page is a list of fields and I'm thinking the location field could be searchable with an opt-in/ opt-out choice about joining the searchable cohort.  I'd like to connect with people in the Boston-NH area to see if they were open to letting me try equipment or borrow for free or for a fee and would be glad to provide collateral.  I would imagine doing that through PM.  Having a list of members within driving reach would be very helpful.

May 16, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #6 of 10
I think this is why it's so encouraging to see some really enjoyable equipment for very affordable prices. If you can resist the temptation to always want more, you can be happy with affordable and mid level gear. I admit to lusting over stuff that costs as much as a decent used car, but I like what I own, and I try to keep myself in check.

Lately I've been enjoying a pair of Koss KSC-75s with a Parts Express headband at work. They aren't perfect, but they sound better than some headphones at 10x the price. And you can assemble this combo for about $20, and they don't even need an amp so running them from an iPad still sounds great. Finds like these are the gems of the hobby. This is what I get excited about, not the Orpheus.

May 16, 2016 at 9:11 AM Post #8 of 10
I think this all works out just fine in the end... many folks want exclusive TOTL luxury to see what the experience is all about, others to feel good about what they have and others still are just obsessed with ultimate performance and make sacrifices (and I am in any one or all of those categories myself on any given day, so no judgement here), but the reality is that there are great headphones at every price point and if all you really care about is great sound you don't have to keep chasing flagships. It didn't take long for the headphone industry to look just like the speaker industry so we have fun reading and talking about stuff most of us will never have and that is true of houses, cars, planes, parties, watches, partners, etc... so why should headphones be any different.

Enjoy the exclusive results that research and knowledge brings us, knowing that synergy between headphones and electronics is very real and maybe even cables :)

I am going to finally move up to the HD800S this year, but I would be fine without it. I learned a lot about what matters to me with HD700 and a lot about what good sound is all about with my HD600. Many great headphones in the 99-699 dollar range and great DACs and amps in the same range. Much to be happy about.

May 22, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #9 of 10
  I think this all works out just fine in the end... many folks want exclusive TOTL luxury to see what the experience is all about, others to feel good about what they have and others still are just obsessed with ultimate performance and make sacrifices (and I am in any one or all of those categories myself on any given day, so no judgement here), but the reality is that there are great headphones at every price point and if all you really care about is great sound you don't have to keep chasing flagships. It didn't take long for the headphone industry to look just like the speaker industry so we have fun reading and talking about stuff most of us will never have and that is true of houses, cars, planes, parties, watches, partners, etc... so why should headphones be any different.

Enjoy the exclusive results that research and knowledge brings us, knowing that synergy between headphones and electronics is very real and maybe even cables :)

I am going to finally move up to the HD800S this year, but I would be fine without it. I learned a lot about what matters to me with HD700 and a lot about what good sound is all about with my HD600. Many great headphones in the 99-699 dollar range and great DACs and amps in the same range. Much to be happy about.

Spoken like a true audiophile! 

There is a market for rich people. If swindlers are taking money from the ultra wealthy, then who cares? 

May 23, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #10 of 10
I have a few perspectives on this. Yes, there is a high premium to pay for the most exotic and expensive headphones...but many feel that they actually match or exceed the performance of speaker systems in the five-to-six-figure range. In that context, they're not overpriced, but a screaming bargain! On the other hand, you don't need to spend a lot of money to enjoy music. There are some great budget headphones out there that punch far above their price point—Koss being a good example. And there are certainly overpriced headphones that don't even sound that good. I think the best route is to just hear everything you can and go with what you feel is a good fit for you. If you're perfectly happy with something affordable, great! If you want what sounds best to you regardless of cost, then that can also be a worthy endeavor, if you can easily afford it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back