Crazy Asian Mother
Jul 19, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #76 of 77
I can see how this video is true. My parents weren't exactly like this, because I myself was motivated to get good grades, but they do place #1 priority on education. Coming from Thailand, when you come home from school at 9-10 pm, taking 15 classes a semester, how could education not be the center of your life? Job placements there are dictated by test grades. So maybe that's one reason why Asian parents place such a high emphasis on test scores, like SAT, ACT, etc. I think I'm fortunate to have been a product of the US education system
tongue.gif

However, I feel this parental pressure is unnecessary for getting into college, graduate/professional school, and beyond here in the US because things are different.

Jul 19, 2006 at 9:30 PM Post #77 of 77
Quote:

Coming from Thailand, when you come home from school at 9-10 pm, taking 15 classes a semester, how could education not be the center of your life? Job placements there are dictated by test grades. So maybe that's one reason why Asian parents place such a high emphasis on test scores, like SAT, ACT, etc. I think I'm fortunate to have been a product of the US education system

Well, probably more like 22 credits per semester (7 classes), but some of those classes are electives. Yes, in Thailand everything kindda center around education and institution. If you graduate from the Top Public Universities, you are guaranteed to have a good job and probably will go on and have a successful career.

IMO, you don't need to be at the absolute best all the time. You can have your ups and downs, as long as, you get it done when its matter the most.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back