Crazy Asian Mother
May 15, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #31 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by rsaavedra

About the second in particular, it gives you a rather fresh perspective on how absurdly unnatural all RPG games in general are, at least to me. The very notion of a fight with perfectly established turns to attack/defend is just completely unnatural.

Aren't video games unnatural by uh . . . nature? Ah, if I could do the things . . .

tongue.gif

May 15, 2006 at 6:49 AM Post #32 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP
Sadly, the schoolyard rat-race has cranked up another level in Hong Kong: not only perfect grade As expected, to get into a good elementry school you have to be proficient in an instrument (grade 5 or above; and no, the piano doesn't count), be knowledgable about worldly affairs ("who is the President in Azerbaijan?"), show your deepest concern to the community (you do bring along a big file of "Certificates of Gratitudes" don't you), and demonstrate "leadership quality" (whatever that means). Enterprising parents take videotapes of their spawn's glorious moments and send the school a DVD along with the application.

If I were born 30 years late I'd be begging for my bread.

Yes... this is why the rest of the world has such a dim view of American intelligence...

Then again, that has got to burn out kids so badly...

To get back on topic, my parents were kind of like that (Asian), except that they weren't QUITE as strict most of the time (it did help that I have ADHD and my mother works with that sort of thing).

May 15, 2006 at 7:02 AM Post #33 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
Yes... this is why the rest of the world has such a dim view of American intelligence...

Over-achieving has nothing to do with intelligence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Aren't video games unnatural by uh . . . nature? Ah, if I could do the things . . .

I dunno, I find my day-to-day life is very similar to Street Fighter II.

(mostly just me walking back and forth on one line and yelling Tiger Uppercut! at strangers)

May 15, 2006 at 7:18 AM Post #34 of 77
Quote:

I find both the Crazy Asian Mother and the Final Fantasy Videos very funny.

About the second in particular, it gives you a rather fresh perspective on how absurdly unnatural all RPG games in general are, at least to me. The very notion of a fight with perfectly established turns to attack/defend is just completely unnatural.

The funniest bit is when they called in the "Indian" Aeon.
icon10.gif
icon10.gif
That has got to be one of the funniest youtube video I've ever watched.

May 15, 2006 at 10:58 AM Post #37 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Aren't video games unnatural by uh . . . nature?

Not all of them, have you played Gran Turismo for example, or Flight simulator. Also, most First Person shooting games are quite realistic and natural.

May 15, 2006 at 1:01 PM Post #38 of 77
I got question for you guys, if you have kids, will you subject them to the same treatment we have received?
very_evil_smiley.gif

I don't care what grade they'll get as long as they are smart enough not to get in trouble and not dropping out from school.

May 15, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #40 of 77
Quote:

Not all of them, have you played Gran Turismo for example, or Flight simulator. Also, most First Person shooting games are quite realistic and natural.

Only if you have a steering wheel and a gun . . .
tongue.gif

(the former is easy to get, but are they still making light guns nowadays?)

Quote:

I think you can sue your parents if they hit you, this is U.S, not China.

Yeah . . . that's not gonna happen. Take it like a man, damnit!

May 15, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #41 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
Then again, that has got to burn out kids so badly....

When they don't get good enough grades or don't get into the "right" schools, therefore losing face and causing shame for the family, many commit suicide. FalconP can probably back me up on this....at a certain time of the year, when the grades and school assignments are announced, a number of suicide will occur. This has been going on for a long time....decades. I am so glad I was able to escape the Hong Kong education system after 4th grade....I wouldn't have lasted.

I figure if I ever have kids, I will just do the opposite of what my parents did to me. Well, most of what my parents did.
icon10.gif

May 15, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #44 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
I broke my parents by constantly getting Cs and Ds from elementry to high school.

By the end of 6th grade, they just stopped caring.

And yes, I'm asian.

is that even possible?

May 15, 2006 at 8:11 PM Post #45 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
is that even possible?

Uh . . . why not? Os, are you even asian?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back