Crazy Asian Mother
May 14, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #16 of 77
It's true. I remember being grounded if I didnt get A's and 100's in grade school.
biggrin.gif

May 14, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #17 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by dokebi
It's true. I remember being grounded if I didnt get A's and 100's in grade school.
biggrin.gif

That's it? I got my ass whooped with a belt/stick/rod til I could barely move. (fyi buckles hurt like hell) Ah, painful times . . .

tongue.gif
(not joking though)

May 14, 2006 at 10:46 PM Post #18 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
That's it? I got my ass whooped with a belt/stick/rod til I could barely move. (fyi buckles hurt like hell) Ah, painful times . . .

tongue.gif
(not joking though)

I'm glad those days are over. Some bruises didn't heal for weeks.
rolleyes.gif

It gets worse in college if your parents don't understand that college is supposedly harder than high school and you can't get 4.0s anymore.
frown.gif

May 14, 2006 at 10:55 PM Post #20 of 77
Haha, I'm glad I didn't have to go through what you guys went through. I'm asian too by the way.
icon10.gif

May 14, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #22 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by spaceconvoy
Thank god I'm white
icon10.gif
My hippie mom always said "we don't care what your grades are - you're doing this for yourself, not for us."

hippies 1

asians 0

May 14, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #24 of 77
it's not just you guys who suffer...it's the innocent bystanders as well. going to a school like Cal means having to hear these stories from emotionally damaged college students all the time!

May 15, 2006 at 1:14 AM Post #26 of 77
I wonder whether it's just that I have no sense of humor or what...

but not only did I not find the asian mother video funny, I found it sad. I suppose I feel that it's that type of stereotypical humor that sets my entire race back.

m

May 15, 2006 at 1:38 AM Post #27 of 77
This is funny
etysmile.gif

May 15, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #28 of 77
I find both the Crazy Asian Mother and the Final Fantasy Videos very funny.

About the second in particular, it gives you a rather fresh perspective on how absurdly unnatural all RPG games in general are, at least to me. The very notion of a fight with perfectly established turns to attack/defend is just completely unnatural.

May 15, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #29 of 77
Sadly, the schoolyard rat-race has cranked up another level in Hong Kong: not only perfect grade As expected, to get into a good elementry school you have to be proficient in an instrument (grade 5 or above; and no, the piano doesn't count), be knowledgable about worldly affairs ("who is the President in Azerbaijan?"), show your deepest concern to the community (you do bring along a big file of "Certificates of Gratitudes" don't you), and demonstrate "leadership quality" (whatever that means). Enterprising parents take videotapes of their spawn's glorious moments and send the school a DVD along with the application.

If I were born 30 years late I'd be begging for my bread.

May 15, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #30 of 77
the world hasn't seen an arms race like this since the early 50s... and this is really a phenomena that is seen all over the US upper and middle class as well. (i'm referring to the admissions stuff).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back