"Crash" won an Oscar???
Mar 6, 2006 at 1:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 64

Todd R

Headphoneus Supremus
Did anyone see "Crash"?
Apparently it won an Oscar?

I don't understand that at all.
It was easily one of the worst movies I'd ever seen.
Overblown acting, ridiculous dialog, situations that would never happen, people saying and doing things that no one would ever actually do.

My eyes were rolling like the wheels on a slot machine during this crap.
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif

I know what they were trying to acomplish with this movie, and applaud them for it, but why did they have to do it so badly?

Anybody with me on this one?
TR

Mar 6, 2006 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 64
crash was easily one of the worst this year. i guess you really don't have to try hard to get an oscar.

[size=xx-small]
serenity should've won... heheh[/size]

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:40 PM Post #9 of 64
Don't you see? Hollywood wishes to applaud independent films with celebrity casts and appear earnest while doing so. It simply doesn't know how.

I've tried to explain the difference between low production values and actual humility to various Academy members. Nothing seems to help.

(This was an odd year for HK as well: witness 2046. I'd have hated the French/HK flick Clean if it weren't for that Garbo of pastiche, Miz Maggie Cheung.)

[Edit: the last two films were technically from 2004. They simply took an extra year to get to the States.]

Has anyone seen Night Watch? I don't know about you, Auntie Mainstream, but my remedy for the criminal lack of subtlety in Crash would be Eastern Eurotrash zombie glee (preferably with gratuitous shots of Asia Argento beating the non-cohones out of J.T. Leroy).

Mar 6, 2006 at 2:52 PM Post #12 of 64
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Best movie I saw last year.

Ditto.

Mar 6, 2006 at 3:29 PM Post #15 of 64
The great thing about taste is we can disagree and each feel confident that we are correct.

I think that the movie was both prickly and astounding. It presented characters as complex, with both admirable and distasteful components. I walked out of the movie feeling uncomfortable about the human condition, as was intended.

Given the nature of Head-fi, I'll use a music metaphor.

Remember the old argument about the Bob Dylan?
He can't sing. He has a terrible voice.
Who says songs should sound pretty? His voice works for his message.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back