crappo dej725. 925 ALL DA WAY!!!
Jan 5, 2002 at 6:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Flasken

Exhibit A in the case FOR a legal drinking age.
Sheez, ever since i got into this crazy forum i thought my incredibly expensive PCDP was a BAAAAD purchase. I just got the feeling from reading threads here that my DEJ925 SUCKED. Aaaand I ALSO got the feeling that a lot of people LIKED dej725. So i was like "What was i thinking buying the 925 when i could have had better for less??"

hmm... Oh, well then it appears that a friend of mine got the 725 for christmas. SO SO i plugged in my beefs and listened. First impression was HORRIBLE!! I expected way more detail AND soundstage then my 925 but i got the opposite.

THats really nice cuz now I appreciate my 925's with their aiyrier sound and better soundstage. 925's kicks 725 ARSE!!!

lol

agree, disagreE?

Jan 5, 2002 at 6:42 PM Post #2 of 16
I tried taking my DE-J825 to bits earlier... all the screws were out, but i couldn't get in
mad.gif

But, i took apart my D777 succesfully, and its got awesome amounts of components inside, arguably more than my Marantz

Whether thats a good thing or a bad thing with the 'minimalist approach' i'm not sure, but it sure was fun nosing around inside
smily_headphones1.gif

It was quite a good experience, i cleaned it all out, and now its singing even sweeter than normal... and at last the remote volume doesn't skew from side to side, but stays constant all the way round... cool
biggrin.gif

I must admit that the differences between the 8 and 925 sonically are quite significant... the 925 sounds a lot more together... WTG on your purchase
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 7:01 PM Post #3 of 16
I would never try to open my little baby. The insides would probably look like little *flat* boxes in different shapes and colours, no printboards with stuff LOOKING like resistors and all that. I would imagine the difference between a stationary CDP and a 925 to be comparable to the diffrence between a desktop and a laptops insides.

*applauds myself for finding such a great comparison*

biggrin.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 9:10 PM Post #4 of 16
I would post piccies of the guts of my D777, but i don't think my crappo digital camera (Polariod PDC700) is up to the fine detail of the goodies inside

The most interesting feature of the player is how they get the pickup arm to be springy... they don't use springs, i'll tell you that much
tongue.gif

Jan 5, 2002 at 9:15 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

crappo dej725. 925 ALL DA WAY!!!

I have the 721 - it's CRAP. I think I will eBay that unit; but my Panny CT470 also sounds kinda crappo with anti-skip turned on (unfortunately, I needed anti-skip when listening, since most of my portable listening involves moving about with the player on waist, leaving both hands free to carry packages). I will check out the 925 (but it won't read CD-RW's!! Did Panny and Sony screw up their PCDPs by adding ******** CD-RW compatibility?)

Jan 5, 2002 at 11:49 PM Post #6 of 16
Are there really differences in sound between the 725/825/925? Looking at the 825 and 925 side by side it seems the price difference is mainly due to the differences in construction and the included accessories. Same form factor but 825 is plastic and the 925 magnesium. 825 comes with NiCd batteries, 925 NiMH batteries. I'd be surprised if the actual guts of all these two units were not identical so I would expect the same sound.

As the 725 is in the same family as the 825/925 is it not possible that Sony has used the same PCB for all three units?

I'm not convinced that because the 925 is the most expensive that it has the best sound.

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 16
GRRRRRR!!!
mad.gif
Most places the 925 is said to be more airier than the 825. IMO the 825 IS CRAP. Well about the 725 I heard it myself and I think it's CRAPPO!!!!!!!!!!! bye

(925 rulezzz)

Jan 6, 2002 at 12:08 AM Post #8 of 16
neb...

let me assure you that the 825 and 925, whilst sounding fundamentally the same, are completely different at the higher end of the volume scale

It could be something as simple as the 925 having slightly more power in its amp, but the 825 distorts heavily at 75% volume even without bass boost, whereas the 925 can get all the way to 100% before it gives up

Jan 6, 2002 at 1:12 AM Post #9 of 16
Hey!
smily_headphones1.gif
I just baught a D-EJ925!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

But I haven't used it yet.
frown.gif
So I'll listen to it - and tell you Head-Fiers how it compares to my D-EJ721 and my Panasonic SL-CT470.

BTW, should I charge the internal NH-14WM batteries now, or should I wait until the 30-day "money-back" return policy is up before I start charging them?
confused.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 16
I don't think it'll make a lot of difference Eagle

for one, you won't know if you don't like it if you don't use it... and two, if you want it to be returned in completely original form, as long as you have the plastic cases that the gum batteries come in, and you don't like it... just run them until they're dead... no-one will know the difference
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 1:47 AM Post #11 of 16
I dunno about you guys but I found the headphones out on the 925 to be pretty bad esp when compared to the line out + Porta Corda.

What do you guys think?

But the 925 is one sweet sexy little player :>

Jan 6, 2002 at 3:04 AM Post #12 of 16
To be brutally honest ctn, the 925 isn't as good as my D777 (hehehe, had a demo and A/B test at a shop, and the guy behind the counter told me i'd be stupid to buy the '925
tongue.gif
)

BUT!!... If you haven't had / got a HQ PCDP, then it WILL be a good sounding player
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 6, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 16
To tell you the HORRID truth, all of today's current-generation PCDPs SUCK - at least directly from their ********* crappo headphone jacks!!

Jan 6, 2002 at 3:10 AM Post #14 of 16
Hi Duncan,

frown.gif
how bad is the 925's line out compared to the d777's?

I tought it was pretty good for a pcdp.

The 925's phones out just pisses me off

Jan 6, 2002 at 3:11 AM Post #15 of 16
Ctn,

Duncan actually meant the phones out of the D-EJ925 isn't as good as that of the D-777.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back