Craft Ears Reviews/Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #31 of 343
After 3 weeks with Craft Ears Six (Universal) I just wanted to share some toughts with you guys. For this past time I almost went as far as to make them my daily and not only because I've got them for limited period of time. CE Four are pretty outstanding but Six represent something of a much higher - in my opinion - sound quality and performance. And these have just 2 extra BA's per side and some in-house tech.

Before I'll get into details, something about the whole "ecosystem" they we're listened in. First of all, Jed sent me these with 3 pair of Azla Sedna Short eartips and Rhapsodio OCC Mk2 3,5mm cable. Because of the deep, almost custo-like insertion, I've stayed with the S-size. My main DAPs are iBasso DX221 (AMP1 mk2) and Sony WM1A @DMP-Z1 1.02 software. I've also tried them with Effect Audio Ares II 2,5mm to go balanced with WM1A and Aune S6 Pro :wink:

Overall signature is a little warm, very lifelike, natural and organic, quite smooth, with excelent dynamics.
Bass: My first tought - Is there a dynamic driver and Jed went with a hybrid design? I called him personaly to confirm that and he laughed saying that Six are all-BA design and that it's all because of the RASEN tech inside which is 3D-printed, carefully calculated sound tube. The low notes go deep into the sub-region with a feeling of physical rumble. The last time I've got such a feeling from BA-bass was with Unique Melody Mentor v3 and we are talking a 2100$ earphones here. The bass has an excellent body with a little longer decay than you could expect from armature drivers. I found it to be suitable all across the genres but what excites me the most are the drums. The thump of a double bass drum. The hard-hitting and precise snare and toms. The deep, full sound of floor toms. All is in place and gives a really life-like presentation that exictes me after almost three weeks of daily listening.
Midrange: in comparision to Four the newest Craft Ears definitely has more body especially in the lower region which blends well with elevated upper-bass. Because of that change, the guitars doesn't sound lean yet retain lots of energy. This also gives the male vocals the necessary thickness. Female vocals feel very natural, sweet and smooth without any fatiguing sharpness but also without making them dull or nasal for my taste. For example Lana del Rey, Agnes Obel or Susanne Sundfor sound just so, so amazing it's hard to express how much I loved listening to them on CESix. The vocals are still pushed a little closer to the listener and elevated giving them the prominence but without overshadowing the instruments behind them. The resolution of midrange is one of the strongest feats of Sixes and it litteraly made my jaw drop a few times. The ability to separate lead and rhythm guitars all while giving the ability to listen to them both at the same time completely effortlessly was stunning. Listening to "Trivium - Shogun" left me shocked and amazed. Something beautiful.
Highs: higher notes weren't overdone. They are quite well extended, but smooth, sweet with an accent on the lower part. Once again the drums - all the cymbals have near-perfect timbre and sound amazingly lifelike. I haven't had any problems with distinguishing different types of cymbals. You won't experience here a lot of brightness, no sharpness, nor a huge amount of shininess as the Six take different approach. Thanks to that while still being quite detailed and precise, they are rather polite and musical and I have never had a tought that they sound tiresome. Also higher notes ten do sound a little bit behind vocals on some tracks but without being overshadowed or pushed too much to the back of the soundstage.

Soundstage, separation etc: That is the part that didn't throw me to my knees at the beginning but I've quickly saw how much goodness Jed concluded in that part of their technical aspects. First of all, there is no feeling off an amazing wideness and airiness you probably got with Fours. All because the Six have much bigger, thicker sound notes. There is still decent amount of air between them but most of all they have well defined edges. The soundstage is well extended in both width and depth and the stereo effect is outstanding, but the height is just very good. What is the most jaw-dropping is the ability to discern many different layers of soundstage, the precise placement of sound notes and the ability to make it sound very fluent. Those sound notes aren't fixed in place but when the record allows it, they can change their position coming closer of further away in different parts of the track which I loved. Also they are really detailed earphones but without the tendency to bring the microdetails up-front and mixing them with the main sounds. Instead the micro-details stay in the background where is their place, which further compliments that great depth layering. And I've found Six to be almosty as detailed as... AKG N5005. Not a joke. the AKG which I find insanely detailed for their price range sounded only a touch clearer due to their brighter, more reference-like signature.

There is one thing which can make Craft Ears Six sound either very good or very amazing. The records. I've found them to be a bit picky when it comes to the records quality and those with worse mastering sometimes sounded a little odd especially when it comes to midrange. For example "Orbit Culture - The Shadowing" - the midrange on this track sounds dull and completely without focus. The guitars are blurry and while I love this track, it sounded just bad on Six. So... that's that.

The Six are great. Few days prior to getting CE Six from Jed I had an opportunity to listen to CA Andromeda v3 and while I consder Andro to be really outstanding earphones... I think I would go with the CE Six for that price.

May 6, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #32 of 343
Hi Vaiet and All,

Thanks for providing your impressions for the lineup and Craft Ear Six (CE 6) and they seem really competent iems.

I am currently in search of a complimentary iem to pair with the DITA XLS which can be laid back and relaxed sounding.

I was wondering if the CE 6 provide more musical and engaging sound? I have also shortlisted the FIR M4, FIR M5 and the 64 Audio Tia Trio. I do have a preference for DD bass but it seems the CE 6 has probably achieved.

Appreciate all feedback given.

Thanks,
Arcmagi

May 7, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #34 of 343
Hi PhoenixClaw,

Do hope that a Singapore retailer will carry the CE brand and demos can be available.

What is your current gear and which aspect of the CE6 has caught your attention?

Best regards,
Tommy

Last edited:
May 7, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #35 of 343
1588832241238.png

May 7, 2020 at 3:11 AM Post #36 of 343
Hi PhoenixClaw,

Do hope that a Singapore retailer will carry the CE brand and demos can be available.

What is your current gear and which aspect of the CE6 has caught your attention?

Best regards,
Tommy

If you mean IEMs my daily driver is the Hidition Viento but I do rotate with the rest in my profile. The CE6 is interesting because of their supposed "True Load" and "Rasen Bass". The former is something that is quite rare in the IEM world and the latter tells me CraftEars is pushing for innovation in this crowded market of overpriced "TOTLs"

May 7, 2020 at 3:36 AM Post #37 of 343
If you mean IEMs my daily driver is the Hidition Viento but I do rotate with the rest in my profile. The CE6 is interesting because of their supposed "True Load" and "Rasen Bass". The former is something that is quite rare in the IEM world and the latter tells me CraftEars is pushing for innovation in this crowded market of overpriced "TOTLs"
It has SES, which is a tweeter with a FSH(field specific horn), Rasen Bass unit(as per Craftears , Its shure SE846 inspired bass system on steroids while perfect bass to mids cross 200Hz)
Which I guess should blow Bose Acoustic system bass canon II subwoofer..

And True Load, since flat impedance is less commonly seen and the biggest part of the Craft 6 is that it achieves flat impedance without any proprietary driver but with Finnese in electrical crossover control to the finest, which also causes the iem to distort way less and also hiss very less

This is all I know

And its relatively better priced that most of the super expensive iem with less technology and just driver count.

Its better to have well implemented iem (for example Hidition Viento) than just plain driver war

And C6 would live upto that

This is all I know.

And its better once we all try it, isnt it

May 7, 2020 at 4:31 AM Post #38 of 343

Nice to see a fellow Hidition user!! I am using the Hidition NT6. Though an older model, it is still an iem that is capable and suits my preference nicely

May 7, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #39 of 343
Nice to see a fellow Hidition user!! I am using the Hidition NT6. Though an older model, it is still an iem that is capable and suits my preference nicely

Got my preorder in on the C6! Could compare it to the Hidition lineup when the whole virus situation gets better :)

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
May 8, 2020 at 7:44 AM Post #42 of 343
The Six sounds like a wonderful proposition. I'm assuming there's not going to be a universal model, though?

Available in Universal too, not sure if pricing is the same though

Subtonic Audio Cutting-edge artisanal in-ear monitors for discerning listeners. Proudly designed and manufactured in Singapore. Stay updated on Subtonic Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Subtonic.Audio https://www.instagram.com/subtonicaudio https://subtonic.audio support@subtonic.audio
Jun 1, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #44 of 343
@ryanjsoo's quick review of the C6. He had also just uploaded the graph with a deep insertion which should come closer to how a CIEM measures/perceived :)

Last edited:

Jun 1, 2020 at 10:15 PM Post #45 of 343
Thanks for the share Toranku, much appreciated. Will post some info here just for quick reference. In summary, at its 745 EUR pre-order price, the Craft Six is a steal for those wanting a neutrally toned earphone with a balanced, slightly vocal enhanced signature and outstanding technical ability. It is slightly brighter through the midrange for my preferences and a touch thin in body, but with a powerful, extended sub-bass that grants the sound authority. You can see my measurements with varying insertion depth below which will simulate what one can achieve by changing their fit depth. I've been told the custom version will sound more like the deeper fitting measurement with further smoothing of peaks. I personally hear the C6 like the 2nd measurements as I get a very strong seal and deep fit depth with the included tips.

Craft Ears Craft 6 Universal.png

With nozzle of coupler attached, small Sedna ear tips. Also, note excellent channel balance!
Craft Ears Craft Six Verv 2.png

Nozzle removed, no tip, right earpiece, sealed with Blutak as close to mic as possible (diminished coupler resonance to simulate 2nd bend in the ear).

Just as a disclaimer, I'm not a professional here, but the Craft Ears team were happy for me to share these measurements. Of course, this alone tells just one part of the story. For subjective breakdown, I've posted up my review here on Head-fi too, happy listening!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back