Crackling noise Audio Technica ATH-M50X.
post-14492710
Post #1 of 3

DirectorPhleg

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
Hello, i have recently purchased a pair of Audio Technica ATH-M50X off Amazon UK. Upon using the headphones on my HP pavilion g6 laptop i have noticed that on certain songs on YouTube i can hear a crackling sound at certain points. The crackling is very pronounced when i move the volume slider up and down on a YouTube video. Also, when i play a pc game, Rome total war for example, i can hear the crackling sound more clearly when their is motion on the screen and when moving the camera around on the battlefield or even clicking on icons.. I had a pair of Sony MDR XD-200 before these and i could not hear the crackling sound that i can in the Audio Technica ATH-M50X.
I was wondering if this could maybe due to the fact that the Audio Technica ATH-M50X are professional headphones that are picking up interference coming from the laptop itself that i could not hear before with the cheaper headphones? I have had the laptop for about 7 years now if that helps. I'm also using a FiiO E10K but i can hear the crackling with or without it. Thanks.

Last edited:
post-14492891
Post #2 of 3

PurpleAngel

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Not sure I would refer to the ATH-M50X as "professional" headphones.
Try plugging the ATH-M50X into different audio sources, like phones, see if you get the same crackling,
If you do, it would seem the ATH-M50X are defective.

I guess their is also a chance electrical noise generated inside the laptop, might be picked up by the laptops on-board audio hardware and the ATH-M50X are just more sensitive to it, over the Sony 200 headphones (but likely not the case).

Last edited:
post-14493367
Post #3 of 3

serman005

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Yes, agree--you need to try them on multiple sources before you can conclude anything,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)