Crackling in FLAC files?
Oct 1, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #16 of 21
I've had hot mastered tracks go into clipping when I made compressed files off of them. Perhaps that's the problem.

Sep 10, 2013 at 5:02 AM Post #17 of 21
Had the crackling in FLAC files downloaded from Bandcamp (so I figured it wasn't a problem with the source) and I've experienced this before with FLAC files but never took the time to figure out what was wrong. For me changing the latency/cache settings in VLC fixed it! Pretty silly that the default setting can't handle FLAC files though. Thanks for the tip.

Mar 22, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #18 of 21
I was noticing some crackling in some FLAC files in VLC. When I ran them in Foobar I didn't hear the crackles. 

Some recordings are also just not very good. Doesnt matter if they are flac or not. I am learning that the hard way and I am little disappointed with some of my favorite artists now that I am running audiophile cans and a transparent set up. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #19 of 21
If there is noise in one player and clean in another, the problem is the crackly player, not the files.

Mar 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #20 of 21
I've also had crackling due to dodgy USB ports that my DACs are connected to - especially on well used PCs with well used USB ports. 

With Foobar, it's also down to how well the system cooperates with ASIO / WASAPI and the DAC OS drivers. 

Mar 27, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #21 of 21
  If there is noise in one player and clean in another, the problem is the crackly player, not the files.

yeah. someone mentioned I should try a fresh install of VLC. It doenst bother me much. I have been using foobar for a few days now and really like it, but still watch all my video on VLC. and audio now a days on ripped video is pretty horrible. That is where these rippers are able to shave away a lot. 

I've also had crackling due to dodgy USB ports that my DACs are connected to - especially on well used PCs with well used USB ports. 

With Foobar, it's also down to how well the system cooperates with ASIO / WASAPI and the DAC OS drivers. 

no dougbt. I have a USB extension cord. that I have had for probably 10 years. It works just find for anything else I have used it for. 
I got my ODAC home, wanted it close to me, since my PC is bit away from me. I plug it into this exntestion cord. Yikes! 
It was unlistanble to. I pluged the DAC straight into the USB port on the PC. crystal clear.
bad cable, old cables, old connectors, probably even old Mother boards and PCs. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back