Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 23, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #1,111 of 12,304

Quote:
 Crack and HD800 are making some sweet sweet music right now...thanks and kudos to the folks at Bottlehead.

thats exactly what i heard - i have the hd800's and very keen to explore the tube sound - and the more i research this amp the more i realise that for the money you cant go wrong

Apr 24, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #1,112 of 12,304
I don't believe it's such a good match, Crack being DIY and "ugly" looking (not soundwise) is not a good match for that beauty of HD800 phones. I believe you would always want to upgrade later just because of the ergonomics and looks of that unit.
Spending that much on the phones and so little on the amp will always keep one wanting for "more".

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #1,113 of 12,304

Quote:
I don't believe it's such a good match, Crack being DIY and "ugly" looking (not soundwise) is not a good match for that beauty of HD800 phones. I believe you would always want to upgrade later just because of the ergonomics and looks of that unit.
Spending that much on the phones and so little on the amp will always keep one wanting for "more".

That is a form over function statement if there ever was one.

There are some real deals in life, the Crack is one of them (with the right high impedance cans)!!

Apr 24, 2012 at 5:42 AM Post #1,114 of 12,304

Quote:

I disagree. There definitely have been very beautiful Crack builds. It's up to you to decide how far you want to take it. And it's always an option to splurge on top of the line components. Go wild with a premium stepped attenuator, boutique caps, or even commission a skilled craftsperson to make you a custom enclosure in the material, finishing and even shape of your choice. It's only inexpensive if you want it to be. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 12:04 AM Post #1,118 of 12,304
"Ugly" as in saves the customer a great deal of $$ instead of a nicely designed and CNC'ed chassis to make it look commercially acceptable. Either way, this is irrelevant as it's about how the damn thing sounds. And that's what matters in the end.

You can always change the chassis it comes with for something much more pleasing to the eye anyway. 
wink_face.gif

Apr 25, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #1,119 of 12,304

I have this romantic vision of me working at a bench soldering all night, a craftsman at work with all the best tools and making amazing amps. 

Reality is I will spend big $ on " the best" tools, end up with a dogs breakfast and never use the tools again lol

I think buying built is the best option for me

EDIT: im not sure i expressed myself properly - i mean im ordering a bottlehead built as knowing me i would spend a fortune on tools, muck it up and end up not using them again. Wasnt meaning to troll :)

Apr 25, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #1,121 of 12,304
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I actually like the simplicity and honesty of Bottlehead's designs. Sure there are "prettier" tube amps out there, but there is a grace in their "form follows function" aesthetic. 

*shrug*

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #1,122 of 12,304
IME when I solder things myself especially in anything audio things I always ended wondering if I didn't screw up a solder or if it would have sound better if I used silver solder and teflon wire with better cap and so on..

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #1,123 of 12,304
Oh well I need to shut this computer down and breath some fresh air, what is it about fora these days..

Apr 25, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #1,124 of 12,304
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I actually like the simplicity and honesty of Bottlehead's designs. Sure there are "prettier" tube amps out there, but there is a grace in their "form follows function" aesthetic. 

*shrug*

I agree and like simplicity and customizability of Crack, just the way it is. No two (built as DIY) are exactly alike, which is cool to me. Pop in a 5998 and vintage 12AU7 and aesthetics get even better. :p

Not to mention what a great value and sound it provides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back