Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Dec 11, 2011 at 4:18 PM Post #947 of 12,335
I've not tried any other tubes to try and reduce the noise floor.  Will do so sometime though, got lots of tubes to try.

Dec 12, 2011 at 3:17 PM Post #950 of 12,335
We're still just waiting for the chassis panels to arrive from the laser cutter. They are supposed to have shipped Friday or today. As soon as they get here a large batch will be shipping, and there should be another shipment of panels arriving not too far behind them for more recent orders. Bear with us guys, during the Xmas season our orders just about triple and we're pedaling as fast as we can.

Dec 12, 2011 at 9:14 PM Post #951 of 12,335

Quote:
still waiting for m crack......

want to ask what tube does it pair well? will the deafult ones do the job well?

The default ones are good enough. I suggest you enjoy them first so that you'll have a standard set. I am using a tungsol jan 5998/electro harmonics 12au7 alternating with an rca 12au7 clear top.  Very quiet.

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #952 of 12,335
Great news! I've been waiting for this since early November. Hopefully, it arrives before Xmas. That would make for a fun project during the holidays. 
smile.gif

Quote:
We're still just waiting for the chassis panels to arrive from the laser cutter. They are supposed to have shipped Friday or today. As soon as they get here a large batch will be shipping, and there should be another shipment of panels arriving not too far behind them for more recent orders. Bear with us guys, during the Xmas season our orders just about triple and we're pedaling as fast as we can.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:52 PM Post #953 of 12,335
The laser cutter is running behind schedule this month and has pushed the delivery date to the end of the week. We have been packing up all the other parts of the kit orders in anticipation of the arrival of the panels so that we can ship all of the oldest orders and, in particular, orders that need to arrive by Xmas the minute the panels arrive. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #954 of 12,335
I really want to order a kit, but the DIY part gets me thinking. I have zero experience with soldering parts, and I am just worried if I screw up.

How easy are the instructions to follow for someone that knows the minimal for electric circuitry. Has any first DIY'er manage to build the Bottlehead Crack kit by themselves?

Dec 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #955 of 12,335

Quote:
I really want to order a kit, but the DIY part gets me thinking. I have zero experience with soldering parts, and I am just worried if I screw up.

How easy are the instructions to follow for someone that knows the minimal for electric circuitry. Has any first DIY'er manage to build the Bottlehead Crack kit by themselves?

i did, and besides easy, it was fun. Don´t get the building part get in the way, it´s sweet to plug your phones to an amp you built yourself :)

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #956 of 12,335

Quote:
Has any first DIY'er manage to build the Bottlehead Crack kit by themselves?

Hundreds of first timers have built the kit.We designed it with them in mind. 

Dec 14, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #957 of 12,335
The Crack was my first "real" project. Just look up some videos on soldering techniques, practice on a couple pieces of scrap wire, etc. You could get by on a $20 soldering iron kit from radio shack, but I'd recommend getting something in the $60-80 range, with temperature control preferably, and an extra tip or two (one chisel tip and one pencil tip should be enough for most projects).

Dec 15, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #958 of 12,335
It's a really easy kit to build even for a first timer and the instructions are spot on if you follow it to the letter.

If you get stuck there's the Bottlehead forums and even Doc B. will come to the rescue if needed !

I've got more expensive/elaborate amps than the CRACK, but I can't recommend this little GEM highly enough and if you have other skills like me you can even be a little more individual !

Dec 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #959 of 12,335
That's gorgeous enough of an idea, I might have to do that!

Quote:
It's a really easy kit to build even for a first timer and the instructions are spot on if you follow it to the letter.

If you get stuck there's the Bottlehead forums and even Doc B. will come to the rescue if needed !

I've got more expensive/elaborate amps than the CRACK, but I can't recommend this little GEM highly enough and if you have other skills like me you can even be a little more individual !

Dec 16, 2011 at 1:53 AM Post #960 of 12,335
I have a few of the stainless steel top plates that I had made left available for sale ( have sold 6 already ), so if you're handy with woodworking it
wouldn't take you much to make up wood side panels to suit. PM if you're interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back