Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 14, 2021 at 3:00 AM Post #10,996 of 12,303
Next stop is replace the film cap. These square ones fits better on one side. I made a case for it so the idea is to clip it on to the headphone jack and the corner screw of the transformers so I dot have to drill any hole.

Very important you have good clearance around your capacitor terminals from the metal securing band and preferably insulate the connection as well otherwise there is a very real risk of your top plate becoming live if the capacitor moves even a milimetre or two during normal moving and handling movements.

Maybe it's just the angle of the pic but clearance looks pretty minimal from the picture particularly at either ends

Neat way of securing them other wise.

May 14, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #10,997 of 12,303
Very important you have good clearance around your capacitor terminals from the metal securing band and preferably insulate the connection as well otherwise there is a very real risk of your top plate becoming live if the capacitor moves even a milimetre or two during normal moving and handling movements.

Maybe it's just the angle of the pic but clearance looks pretty minimal from the picture particularly at either ends

Neat way of securing them other wise.yeah.

I plan to make the hole bigger and also heat shrink all the solder points there in case.

Last edited:
May 15, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #10,999 of 12,303
OK, I bought a set of half-dome rubber feet for audio components. They do the job well. So, here are my quick observations after listening to:

Deep Purple - In Rock
AC/DC - For Those About to Rock
Aerosmith- Rocks
Rolling Stones- It's Only Rock n Roll
Hendrix- Stone Free

The tone is solid and heavy. Very heavy. Sometimes cold, but yet smooth and dense. :beyersmile:

rtR4PYRh.jpg

May 15, 2021 at 1:23 PM Post #11,000 of 12,303
OK, I bought a set of half-dome rubber feet for audio components. They do the job well. So, here are my quick observations after listening to:

Deep Purple - In Rock
AC/DC - For Those About to Rock
Aerosmith- Rocks
Rolling Stones- It's Only Rock n Roll
Hendrix- Stone Free

The tone is solid and heavy. Very heavy. Sometimes cold, but yet smooth and dense. :beyersmile:

rtR4PYRh.jpg
I think that the heavy base + feet would really dampen any vibration....good for sound !

May 15, 2021 at 1:38 PM Post #11,001 of 12,303
That was the biggest motivation! The tube you see in the picture is actually quite sensitive to vibration and all is good now.

May 16, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #11,002 of 12,303
That was the biggest motivation! The tube you see in the picture is actually quite sensitive to vibration and all is good now.
A dampening joint around the upper base part where the metal tray touch should kill any vibration

May 18, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #11,003 of 12,303
Anyone have strong opinions on a 20k Alps Blue vs. a 50k Audio Note pot vs. a 20k eBay "DACT-style" stepped attenuator? I've got the attenuator in there now, and it works fine, but I don't particularly know what to expect in differences... and it takes me so long to swap a pot out that I can't remember specifically what I heard from the last one.

I am somewhat inclined to put the Audio Note in for the (stupid) reason that it's a solid shaft whereas my attenuator is a split knurled shaft... I know that's a fairly stupid reason, but there are many stupid reasons, and this one is mine.

May 18, 2021 at 5:46 PM Post #11,004 of 12,303
Anyone have strong opinions on a 20k Alps Blue vs. a 50k Audio Note pot vs. a 20k eBay "DACT-style" stepped attenuator? I've got the attenuator in there now, and it works fine, but I don't particularly know what to expect in differences... and it takes me so long to swap a pot out that I can't remember specifically what I heard from the last one.

I am somewhat inclined to put the Audio Note in for the (stupid) reason that it's a solid shaft whereas my attenuator is a split knurled shaft... I know that's a fairly stupid reason, but there are many stupid reasons, and this one is mine.

I have the Audio Note in mine and I find it better detailed and a more smoother pot than the Blue Alps. Highly recommended. It's not that expensive either.

May 18, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #11,005 of 12,303
I have the Audio Note in mine and I find it better detailed and a more smoother pot than the Blue Alps. Highly recommended. It's not that expensive either.
Yeah I was surprised it was so close in price to the Alps.

May 19, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #11,006 of 12,303
Had to Dremel a bit of the top plate to get it to fit, but the Audio Note is in and sounds really good. I love the design with the solder lugs. HUGE solder lugs. Very handy for getting multiple grounding cables attached to the pot. Like the stock pot, but better sounding.

Really smooth and great balance, even down to super low volume. It's 100k, not 50k as I initially wrote. All in all, great pot. Better than the eBay attenuators.

May 19, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #11,007 of 12,303
For the audio note pots, what’s the difference between the stereo balance and stereo volume 100k pots?

May 19, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #11,008 of 12,303
Had to Dremel a bit of the top plate to get it to fit, but the Audio Note is in and sounds really good. I love the design with the solder lugs. HUGE solder lugs. Very handy for getting multiple grounding cables attached to the pot. Like the stock pot, but better sounding.

Really smooth and great balance, even down to super low volume. It's 100k, not 50k as I initially wrote. All in all, great pot. Better than the eBay attenuators.
I have the blue alps and the eBay dact type with D shaft. Do you know a good place to buy the Audio Note in the US?

May 19, 2021 at 12:22 PM Post #11,009 of 12,303
May 19, 2021 at 12:23 PM Post #11,010 of 12,303
For the audio note pots, what’s the difference between the stereo balance and stereo volume 100k pots?
Volume is for volume, balance is a L/R balance. Don't buy the stereo balance pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back