Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Sep 5, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #10,321 of 12,335
BTW, you can clean up the mess with a blade. I did it once on a tube with some nasty brownish aged glue like that.
They all went past my budget anyway. I was looking at the Ken Rad VT231 6SN7 and a few came up (mostly from the one seller) but they all went a little too high for me. I don't pay £50+ for a tube.

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:27 PM Post #10,323 of 12,335
You mean to say that you don’t pay that for a tube...yet! once the fall down the rabbit hole begins who knows where it ends! I used to have price limits too :)

Sep 5, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #10,324 of 12,335
You mean to say that you don’t pay that for a tube...yet! once the fall down the rabbit hole begins who knows where it ends! I used to have price limits too :)
Most I've paid for an individual tube was £36 (inc shipping) for the Siemens ECC82 silver plates. Pity because it is one I will end up selling on.

Sep 6, 2020 at 2:06 AM Post #10,325 of 12,335
So the new wood base is built and its perfect. I need to stain or paint it, but the caps fit perfectly as long as I lower the top plate directly down (instead of at an angle). I'll put up a picture tomorrow, basicially its identical to the original base but with a 3 1/2 inch section widened out of the wood on the sides. Have some listening to catch up with....

Sep 6, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #10,326 of 12,335
Fyi afaik Tungsram & Siemens were the only manufacturers of the E80cc all the rest are rebranding sourced from Siemens or Tungsram factories. Don't pay over the top for other branded E80cc. Essentially you see variations of smooth and holed plates with halo or foil getters.

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:24 PM Post #10,327 of 12,335
Fyi afaik Tungsram & Siemens were the only manufacturers of the E80cc all the rest are rebranding sourced from Siemens or Tungsram factories. Don't pay over the top for other branded E80cc. Essentially you see variations of smooth and holed plates with halo or foil getters.

my knowledge isn’t perfect by any means, but I was under the impression that Phillips was one of the original manufacturers in the 50s, and that the Siemens tubes were rebranded ring getter later version Phillips?

Sep 6, 2020 at 4:37 PM Post #10,328 of 12,335

In my collection there's none Siemens/Halske (Munich) factory build E80CC. I think @DenverW is right.

Most of what's for sale are E80CC made in Heerlen (Netherlands; Delta code). Here's a lineup with labels from the Heerlen factory.

IMG_6248.JPG

If you source pinched waist E80CC's you can find Eindhoven versions aswel. Supposedly also Hamburg, not in my collection yet.

IMG_6249.JPG

Oh, and for something special! Here's a picture i took this summer.
Who can guess what Philips factory this was?
On the picture you see the length of the cafeteria! With the typical Philips factory type windows.

Yes I'm a fanatic.

IMG_6096.JPG

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #10,329 of 12,335
Here is a picture of the wood base that I mentioned. I haven't stained it yet. A portion of the side was cut out to make room for the caps, which were just a hair too big to sit comfortably.

IMG_1047.jpg

Sep 7, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #10,330 of 12,335
Here is a picture of the wood base that I mentioned. I haven't stained it yet. A portion of the side was cut out to make room for the caps, which were just a hair too big to sit comfortably.

IMG_1047.jpg
Can you do for me a "eye level" with plate photo from the back? So I can see how you've mounted and wired the choke. I have one on its way to me. I'll not mention the crees that are also on their way because the PCB boards are unobtainium so I am hoping to copy someone else's solution of a "no board" fitment.

Sep 7, 2020 at 3:33 PM Post #10,331 of 12,335
Can you do for me a "eye level" with plate photo from the back? So I can see how you've mounted and wired the choke. I have one on its way to me. I'll not mention the crees that are also on their way because the PCB boards are unobtainium so I am hoping to copy someone else's solution of a "no board" fitment.

You mean this pcb board? https://www.partsconnexion.com/PCB-77727.html

They also have one thats built with cree diodes already, but that ones 20 bucks as opposed to 2. When I start to stain the wood base I'll take a picture for you. I can tell you that I mounted it behind the transformer (instead of over it) closest to the rear of the crack. I used two screws and stand offs. The only issue I had was that I put one of the screws too close to the transformer, so the top part of the screw brushed against the transformer on the top of the panel. Basically, just don't forget that the top of the screw is bigger than the rest :). Rookie mistake by me! Cree diodes was a very simple upgrade, and honestly don't even need a stand off because they weigh nothing and the wires just hold them in place.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #10,332 of 12,335
You mean this pcb board? https://www.partsconnexion.com/PCB-77727.html

They also have one thats built with cree diodes already, but that ones 20 bucks as opposed to 2. When I start to stain the wood base I'll take a picture for you. I can tell you that I mounted it behind the transformer (instead of over it) closest to the rear of the crack. I used two screws and stand offs. The only issue I had was that I put one of the screws too close to the transformer, so the top part of the screw brushed against the transformer on the top of the panel. Basically, just don't forget that the top of the screw is bigger than the rest :). Rookie mistake by me! Cree diodes was a very simple upgrade, and honestly don't even need a stand off because they weigh nothing and the wires just hold them in place.

Yep that's the one. It was out of stock when I looked at the weekend.......Problem is I then read on in the bottlehead threads and they charge £15 or something silly shipping for the $2 board. I've bought the diodes already so I'm going to try the non board solution and see if I can burn the house down. lol.

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #10,333 of 12,335
Or maybe not. Turns out shipping + board would be about £8 which isn't that bad. Might buy the board now. lol

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #10,334 of 12,335

IMG_1047.jpg

Brilliant idea to carve out a groove on the wood to make the fit!

I was wondering how you would make the chassis wider, as the top plate is fixed in size. But now I see it.

How did your neighbor cut the corners and the grooves, did he use any machine? They are very smooth, definitely professional grade!

Sep 7, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #10,335 of 12,335

Here is a pic that I collected earlier (from members here), which shows how the choke would stand behind the transformer.
Choke.jpg

I always wanted to do these mods, but my soldering skill sucks, so never dared to do them. I hope to pick up a soldering station someday and practice on my soldering skills...sigh 😆

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back