Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jun 13, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #9,256 of 12,335
I bet there are mods here who don't know that rule... I think if you listed it for what you want, it's fine. I think that rule is to prevent someone from building a business on HF's sales corner, not selling a one off amp that was for your own private use.
The mods here are very strict. I posted an HD600 and asked for PayPal fees or gift, and they edited the part about about fees out, and sent me a polite note saying why, and that I might want to update the posting. Lots of folks break the rules, and the mods don't monitor every post. If a person uses the "report" link, the mod will get involved.

I sold a crack here that netting me $400, about what I paid. It was not purchased on sale, and had a few upgrades that I added. The buyer was not the type of person to build there own, so he was very happy. I agree that the intent of the rule is stop folks from using HF as a business outlet, and not paying for the MOT badge.

Jun 13, 2018 at 8:47 PM Post #9,257 of 12,335
And done - https://imgur.com/a/fLWdBZf

MJBD7Dh.jpg

w4P84r7.jpg

6EUkxg3.jpg

oj0j9dF.jpg

evvwgKM.jpg

The saddest thing is that I'm leaving on an extended work trip in 2 weeks, so i gotta let this baby go :frowning2:

Also wish i had the time to figure out where is noise in the left channel when using 5687 tubes.. ah well. At least everything else is waaay cleaner than my previous build.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #9,258 of 12,335
Well stated Allan, personally I would like to be paid for the pain and suffering I incurred while cutting square holes in 1/8 inch copper plate but that amount would be astronomical so I best just keep the amp.:smile_phones:
i feel you are being sarcastic ,, you charge 125$ for minor fixes + a box (and shipping is not included)
650$ for fully assembled crack w/Speedball (kit cost 422$) is totally reasonable with your price rate!

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #9,259 of 12,335
For anybody that gets weird static on their Bottlehead Crack, which is otherwise dead silent, get your cell phone way the hell away from it. I found out that is what's causing it.

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:45 PM Post #9,260 of 12,335
I agree with your Mainline wins!

I have done many listening sessions between my Crack and new mainline...hands down the Mainline is really special....it always makes
me smile....the overall presentation is just wonderful....

Alex

Jun 13, 2018 at 9:51 PM Post #9,261 of 12,335
i feel you are being sarcastic ,, you charge 125$ for minor fixes + a box (and shipping is not included)
650$ for fully assembled crack w/Speedball (kit cost 422$) is totally reasonable with your price rate!

I am not sure why you used my quote with your message. I merely said i spent more time on cosmetics and it is not something I can recover. I was joking but I hope that was obvious. Earlier we were talking about Cracks on sale without speedball being $200. I did mention I believed you were supposed to sell DIY products at a certain price and Allan quoted the actual rule here. That is pretty much the end of the story.

Jun 13, 2018 at 10:42 PM Post #9,262 of 12,335

The saddest thing is that I'm leaving on an extended work trip in 2 weeks, so i gotta let this baby go :frowning2:

Also wish i had the time to figure out where is noise in the left channel when using 5687 tubes.. ah well. At least everything else is waaay cleaner than my previous build.

That is a beast. I really like the way it turned out.

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #9,263 of 12,335

Wow! I'm coming in late to this party - what's with the switchy thingy boards? Tell me more - dual inductors? I've know what you did with the white and gold caps - what's with the blue?

Very cool! :beerchug:

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:14 PM Post #9,264 of 12,335
That is a beast. I really like the way it turned out.

Thanks ! Its always fun tinkering around.

Wow! I'm coming in late to this party - what's with the switchy thingy boards? Tell me more - dual inductors? I've know what you did with the white and gold caps - what's with the blue?

Very cool! :beerchug:

The Switch boards are PCB's that @Maxhawk made to enable the use of a wider range of driver tubes. Yeah the chokes are mainly replace the 270Ohm wirewound resistors. And that blue cap is basically bypassing the last PSU cap :) (This isn't really necessary, and contrary to popular belief, it doesn't really do much for sonic improvements. Mainly helps with clearing out the background a bit)

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #9,265 of 12,335
I am not sure why you used my quote with your message. I merely said i spent more time on cosmetics and it is not something I can recover. I was joking but I hope that was obvious. Earlier we were talking about Cracks on sale without speedball being $200. I did mention I believed you were supposed to sell DIY products at a certain price and Allan quoted the actual rule here. That is pretty much the end of the story.
sorry but your statement was misleading because all current ebay listings are for crack w/Speedball and i thought your are disagreeing with these high prices by your jock, thats all .

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:20 AM Post #9,267 of 12,335
sorry but your statement was misleading because all current ebay listings are for crack w/Speedball and i thought your are disagreeing with these high prices by your jock, thats all .

I know what the listings are, someone else kept using the figure $200 but I did not want to argue it, that is a sale price without speedball, shipping, or badge.

I was just emphasizing how much trouble I went through with part of my build. I have many years in electronics so that portion of the build was fairly easy for me but I challenged myself to bring about a lot of changes if I built a Crack.
On here there are rules about how you sell DIY product, Allan quoted those. Previously I just said that if a base crack with speedball went for $650 on Ebay, then the gentleman who put a lot of upgrades into his should be able to get more. I hope this makes sense to you now.

I have purchased four and my builds are unique but not for everyone. I put so much work into the one I kept, I doubt I will sell it. The photo is my first build and the one I kept.IMG_1954.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2018 at 8:57 AM Post #9,269 of 12,335

I know what the listings are, someone else kept using the figure $200 but I did not want to argue it, that is a sales price without speedball, shipping, or badge.

I was just emphasizing how much trouble I went through with part of my build. I have many years in electronics so that portion of the build was fairly easy for me but I challenged myself to bring about a lot of changes if I built a Crack.
On here there are rules about how you sell DIY product, Allan quoted those. Previously I just said that if a base crack with speedball went for $650 on Ebay, then the gentleman who put a lot of upgrades into his should be able to get more. I hope this makes sense to you now.

I have purchased four and my builds are unique but not for everyone. I put so much work into the one I kept, I doubt I will sell it. The photo is my first build and the one I kept.

Unique builds like yours should definitely go for a considerable sum.

Jun 14, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #9,270 of 12,335
I gave one away, asked kit cost for another, and won a bet by building one but it had nothing to do with selling on Headfi. My current builds are all Class A solid state and some round8 ball coaster.jpg hybrid amps. I will try to mount a round amp inside a scotch bottle. I like a challenge, this 8 ball will be easy in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back