Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Mar 28, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #4,381 of 12,335
  Looking to get the 6AS7G, TS 5998, and the e80cc. What kind of prices am I looking at and where? Sorry if this has been asked before. Just built my crack 
biggrin.gif

Knowing where you are based USA, Europe etc would help with suggestion.

Mar 28, 2014 at 7:49 AM Post #4,382 of 12,335

I can't recommend Thom Rotella's excellent (jazz) album, "A Day In The Life," enough.  It's a great album regardless of gear used.. but I find it to sound especially impressive with the SB'ed Crack/650.. my tube of choice?  The Amperex PQ 6085/E80CC.  The album appears to be mixed & mastered well.. the 6085 has an absolutely terrific soundstage.. you cal also expect one of the finest versions of the Amperex "house sound" (that I've heard).. it all makes for what feels like an utterly live performance via the HD650.  Superb dynamics, layering, tonal richness, imaging, etc.  I'm supposed to send this tube to @MattTCG to audition.. but I just can't seem to pull it out of the Crack... sorry bud.

wink_face.gif

That's okay. Just understand, there are a few who have done me wrong here and I had to make a little doll in their honor to harass. We don't have to go there do we? 
tongue.gif

Mar 28, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #4,384 of 12,335
  Looking to get the 6AS7G, TS 5998, and the e80cc. What kind of prices am I looking at and where? Sorry if this has been asked before. Just built my crack 
biggrin.gif

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/ have some 5998's for $85 each

http://tctubes.com/ I have used several times now a little more expensive but always good service and a top notch tube, Tyler the owner is always very helpful.

ebay always a good source but also pot luck if not tested best to buy from sellers with 100% feedback, always the potential to grab a bargain if your willing to take a risk on a untested tube.

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #4,387 of 12,335

http://www.vacuumtubes.net/ have some 5998's for $85 each

http://tctubes.com/ I have used several times now a little more expensive but always good service and a top notch tube, Tyler the owner is always very helpful.

ebay always a good source but also pot luck if not tested best to buy from sellers with 100% feedback, always the potential to grab a bargain if your willing to take a risk on a untested tube.

Thanks for the info. Probably going to grab the tubes from vacuumtubes.net. Looks like the 6AS7G is on there too. Should I grab that also? If so, which brand? Seems like theres a good contrast between the 5998 and the 6AS7G. 

Mar 28, 2014 at 6:36 PM Post #4,388 of 12,335
  Damage has been done. :frowning2:

Does anyone know where I can get 1 piece of little foam thingy? I've seen it at a meetup before, but I can't imagine paying for shipping for a little foam piece.

Right now I have electrical tape wrapped around it. It's better. 

I just cut up a pool noodle from the dollar store.

Mar 29, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #4,391 of 12,335

Can anyone identify this tube? There is no manufacturer markings that I can see, only a faint 6080WB.  The tube was filthy when I opened it, but thankfully a microfibre and a touch of windex cleaned it right up.

That tube is a Sylvania 6080WB, the faint etched typeset and position, internal structure gives it a way had one myself. From afar observation one can see it as a Raytheon Jan 6080 but the Raytheon's have a slight different structure on the cathode plates.

Btw, what are you going to use to protect against fingerprints and easy scuffs on the spray painted metal plates and trafo bell cover?

Mar 29, 2014 at 8:05 AM Post #4,392 of 12,335
I've solved my E80CC problem by picking up a Mullard CV4003. Hats off to those who've mentioned it in this thread, sounds very much like the E80CC, in fact, it sounds better (!), more open, and it won't burn down my house.

Mar 29, 2014 at 10:18 AM Post #4,394 of 12,335

That tube is a Sylvania 6080WB, the faint etched typeset and position, internal structure gives it a way had one myself. From afar observation one can see it as a Raytheon Jan 6080 but the Raytheon's have a slight different structure on the cathode plates.

Btw, what are you going to use to protect against fingerprints and easy scuffs on the spray painted metal plates and trafo bell cover?

Thanks!

Hadn't really thought about it. Its rustoleum primer + paint. It is a textured finish and not a gloss. It hasn't seem to shown finger prints or scuffs yet. What do you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back