Crack;Bottlehead OTL
May 3, 2010 at 2:32 PM Post #106 of 12,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What's the best way to contact Bottlehead? I managed to break off one of the leads of one of the 3KOhm resistors, and need to see if I can order a replacement.

Also, does anyone know a good source for such a resistor? I'm a bit hesitant to order just one resistor from, say, Mouser...it seems like that would kill me on shipping.

The forum is good for quick question answers.
E mail or phone them.

May 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #107 of 12,335
The Queen and I were away for the weekend, but we're back in the office today. Give us a ring and we will take care of you, 360-697-1936. Or you can email Eileen at queen at bottlehead dot com. While I have your attention, it just clicked in my fuzzy old brain that CanJam is in Chicago next month. My family has a condo in Chicago, so Eileen and I are thinking of coming out for the event. Would folks be interested in having Crack and S.E.X. at CanJam?

May 3, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #109 of 12,335
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc B. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I have your attention, it just clicked in my fuzzy old brain that CanJam is in Chicago next month. My family has a condo in Chicago, so Eileen and I are thinking of coming out for the event. Would folks be interested in having Crack and S.E.X. at CanJam?

That would be so awesome if you two showed up.
smile.gif

May 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #110 of 12,335
Hey Doc,
It would be very cool to see Eileen again,.. and you could tag along too!
Just kidding. I think it would be fantastic.
You know how it goes at these things, you should be prepared to have every headphone ever made plugged into each.

What would be really-really fantastic is if you could bring a Crack with the Speedball and any other upgrades you've come up with so we can hear the difference.

May 7, 2010 at 8:20 AM Post #113 of 12,335

Quote:
If you guys haven't popped over to the Bottlehead forum today, the pre order/order page is up for the Speedball upgrade kit.
Get um while you can because just like the Crack, it's gonna sell out fast!

http://www.bottlehead.com/store.php?crn=44&rn=446&action=show_detail

Arrgh! More money flying out of my wallet. (yes I ordered it)

May 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #114 of 12,335
I was wondering if any of you guys have one of those cable rigs that can link two single ended headphone amps to a balanced output?
If so, I'd love to hear how it would sound with a balanced pair of HD800's. I've listened to those cans on several rigs and it really seemed to come alive when it was driven balanced.
With CanJam just around the corner, I'm sure we could get a couple of Cracks together in Chicago.
So,.. what I'm wondering is if one of the "ultimate" amps for the HD800 is a DIY , $400 amp?

May 9, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #116 of 12,335
Just what I need, YET another headphone amp!  So, OF COURSE I ordered one, with the Speedball upgrade.  It'll be nice to listen to these when I end up living in a van down by the river because I couldn't pay my rent......

I have built a Bijou, which is a very nice sounding OTL tube amp.  It will be interesting to hear how it compares to the Crack.  

I also have a Little Dot MK III..... and a β22... and etc etc  WAAY too many amps.

May 9, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #118 of 12,335
First I would measure how well the existing pot tracks. A pot is simply a variable resistor. A stereo volume control is two pots on one shaft.  To give good performance, the two pots should be at the same level of resistance at any point in the rotation of the volume control.  This keeps the stereo balance accurate at all volume settings.  Unless a pot is REALLY BAD, it is not going to add noise to the signal, and there is no difference is sound quality between a 99 cent surplus bargain pot and a $140 machined metal custom pot.  The difference is that a $25 Alps Blue Velvet pot will have closer to identical  values of resistance between the two pot sections (left and right gain controls) at various points along the pot's rotation.  The Blue Velvet pots also have a nice smooth action that is pleasant to use in terms of ergonomics, and it is made of quality materials that should last longer without wear-related failure.  A stepped switch with hand-selected matched resistors gives the most accurate tracking.

So, if the existing pot tracks pretty well, there is no sonic reason to replace it.

Some people claim they hear differences in resistor types.  However this has never been shown in double-blind tests to the best of my knowledge. (Anyone knows of any such studies, please chime in with a reference- )

May 9, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #119 of 12,335

Quote:
First I would measure how well the existing pot tracks. A pot is simply a variable resistor. A stereo volume control is two pots on one shaft.  To give good performance, the two pots should be at the same level of resistance at any point in the rotation of the volume control.  This keeps the stereo balance accurate at all volume settings.  Unless a pot is REALLY BAD, it is not going to add noise to the signal, and there is no difference is sound quality between a 99 cent surplus bargain pot and a $140 machined metal custom pot.  The difference is that a $25 Alps Blue Velvet pot will have closer to identical  values of resistance between the two pot sections (left and right gain controls) at various points along the pot's rotation.  The Blue Velvet pots also have a nice smooth action that is pleasant to use in terms of ergonomics, and it is made of quality materials that should last longer without wear-related failure.  A stepped switch with hand-selected matched resistors gives the most accurate tracking.

So, if the existing pot tracks pretty well, there is no sonic reason to replace it.

Some people claim they hear differences in resistor types.  However this has never been shown in double-blind tests to the best of my knowledge. (Anyone knows of any such studies, please chime in with a reference- )

Good to know, are there other components such as capacitors that have more of an audible difference? 

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
May 9, 2010 at 10:54 PM Post #120 of 12,335
Still in the assembly phase of mine. Ive been so busy with Work & working on my motorcycle, made a bit more progress today.I think i need to take out the screws and make sure i used the right ones......it looks like the diameter is suppose to be different but i cant tell or is it the pitch?....seems like as long as it fits it should be fine...

Here is a quick pic, I smoothed out that aluminum top so it looks good at certain angles and would is stained and has a nice gloss as well at certain angles, but its by no means professional looking under close inspection. First time ever staining wood and slightly polishing metal, heh

Users who are viewing this thread

Back