Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Jul 1, 2019 at 9:20 AM Post #9,646 of 12,335
headphone rack.jpg
You' better not using the 6SN7GT with a pair of 6bl7/6bx7.

The 6bl7/bx7 are the most suitable power tubes for a Crack. Don't know why they are not using these.

I highly recommend the other Tom to make a Crack to use these tubes. We may have to move the power tube socket away from the transformer.

Paladin79

I will try to check out those tubes in the next couple days. I have experimented with the power tubes far less than the driver tube.

I do like to play it safe, I will go into my tube manuals and look at the specs for the 6BL7, there is also a good chance I own some of those tubes somewhere in my tube stash. I bought a whole bunch of power tubes to use in a headphone stand project and many of those tested fine (they were purchased as duds lol.)

I am always open to new ideas as long as they do no damage. :)

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #9,647 of 12,335

I will try to check out those tubes in the next couple days. I have experimented with the power tubes far less than the driver tube.

I do like to play it safe, I will go into my tube manuals and look at the specs for the 6BL7, there is also a good chance I own some of those tubes somewhere in my tube stash. I bought a whole bunch of power tubes to use in a headphone stand project and many of those tested fine (they were purchased as duds lol.)

I am always open to new ideas as long as they do no damage. :)
You need an adapter to use a pair of these. I had done a lot of research before used these on my Crack. They sounds great to me, but YMMV.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #9,648 of 12,335
I never got around to giving 12BH7 drivers a shot in my Crack + SB or Crackatwoa. That changes today...

Giving this Fivre 12BH7 a listen. Man, this is a great tube! Think it holds its own against the 6SN7 crew, sounds excellent with the Auteur, very detailed, articulate bass, great soundstage. Love the Fivre label as well, glad I got one with it intact, $30 plus shipping for a pair :wink:

DSCF5356.jpg DSCF5351-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #9,649 of 12,335
I wonder what tubes combo is the most resolving and also clear with well textured mids?

Anybody notice how HD800's treble sounds different with different tube/amps? Is there tube combination that makes 800(S) treble sound smooth yet detailed mids?

I'm totally fine with 600/650 with it, but 800(S) treble gets too sparkly at times, and it's rare to find anything the reduces it. Also, I don't like how 800(S) are expressed as sparkly, and other setups more controlled in tightness. I just don't like it when the treble sounds like sparkle, seemly unruley in control.

I also like it when sibilence harshness is subdue'd and sounds more like breathing vs chhhhhh

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #9,650 of 12,335
I wonder what tubes combo is the most resolving and also clear with well textured mids?

Hard to say, as making those calls would vary from person to person. What I will say though is the ladder of performance from the 6SN7 hierarchy holds true in the Crackatwoa. The TOTL 6SN7s like the Tung Sol BGRP, Brimar CV1988, etc. are all very resolving and sound great in the Crackatwoa, but have different characteristics. The ones I use most often are probably the Sylvania 6SN7W metal base, Fivre 6SN7GT black or grey plates, and RFT 6H8C/6SN7. For output tubes, the same holds true, what are considered the best 6AS7 tubes actually do sound the best in the Crackatwoa. My top three are the Western Electric 421A, MOV A1834, and Tung Sol 7802. I also like the GEC 6080, Bendix 6080, and NEC 6AS7G.

From my experience, when you get some of these top tubes, resolution doesn't vary so much, it's really the character or perceived frequency response that does. But many of these are very rare and expensive, you could buy another Crack + SB for the price of some of these tube combos.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #9,651 of 12,335
Hard to say, as making those calls would vary from person to person. What I will say though is the ladder of performance from the 6SN7 hierarchy holds true in the Crackatwoa. The TOTL 6SN7s like the Tung Sol BGRP, Brimar CV1988, etc. are all very resolving and sound great in the Crackatwoa, but have different characteristics. The ones I use most often are probably the Sylvania 6SN7W metal base, Fivre 6SN7GT black or grey plates, and RFT 6H8C/6SN7. For output tubes, the same holds true, what are considered the best 6AS7 tubes actually do sound the best in the Crackatwoa. My top three are the Western Electric 421A, MOV A1834, and Tung Sol 7802. I also like the GEC 6080, Bendix 6080, NEC 6AS7G.

From my experience, when you get some of these top tubes, resolution doesn't vary so much, it's really the character or perceived frequency response that does. But many of these are very rare and expensive, you could buy another Crack + SB for the price of some of these tube combos.
How similar and different is the Crackatowa from Crack? Does it output more power and lowered impedance?

Jul 2, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #9,652 of 12,335
How similar and different is the Crackatowa from Crack? Does it output more power and lowered impedance?

No, the output impedance is identical to the Crack + SB. The main difference between the two amps is a larger power transformer and a more sophisticated power supply in the Crackatwoa. It is shunt-regulated, which from my understanding means there will be greater isolation between the power supply and the output signal. Mine also has the Bottlehead-developed TwoQuiet stepped attenuator.

Bottlehead describes the audible improvement in the Crackatwoa as a "blacker background" and more low end definition.

Jul 3, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #9,653 of 12,335
Bendix 6080wb > Tung Sol 5998

The Bendix 6080wb, and Mullard ECC82 57' Square getter long plate, just took the amp to another level!

The Bendix/Mullard combo, has the hardest hitting and most textured bass, I have heard. The mids are insane and sounds are literally exploding from all directions, and the 3d like feel, is in full effect. The sound is wide and deep, and each instrument has it's own space and I don't even feel like I am wearing headphones, but listening to speakers. Very analoge like sound, and so punchy, you can feel every note. The Bendix and Mullard, won't be coming out, any time soon.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #9,654 of 12,335
Happy Saturday!

Bendix 6080wb and Mullard ECC82 57' Long Plate is a killer combo!
20190720_053354_zps7cwjqrdh.jpg

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:07 AM Post #9,655 of 12,335
Happy Saturday to you as well, Wes!

The Tung Sol 421A and Fivre 6SN7GT black plate are also a killer combo :wink: they synergize well with my morning coffee.

IMAG0653-2.jpg

Jul 20, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #9,656 of 12,335

The Tung Sol 421A and Fivre 6SN7GT black plate are also a killer combo :wink: they synergize well with my morning coffee.

Fivre is not a brand I have used before, but I may have to check them out.

Jul 20, 2019 at 8:03 AM Post #9,657 of 12,335

Nice! Those are some really nice and rare tubes you got there. I will be trying all my "Holy Grail" 6SN7 tubes, one of these days. However, for now I am loving the 12AU7.

Jul 20, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #9,658 of 12,335
LOrdGwyn - I have never heard the Fivre, and I am curious what it's sound sig is like? I have a bunch of Brimar, and love them, and I am curious how they compare.

Jul 20, 2019 at 8:44 AM Post #9,659 of 12,335
Fivre is not a brand I have used before, but I may have to check them out.

They are an Italian brand, really great stuff, worth a listen I think! If they are intact, they can have beautiful labels too, here are some others in my collection.

IMAG0660.jpg

Nice! Those are some really nice and rare tubes you got there. I will be trying all my "Holy Grail" 6SN7 tubes, one of these days. However, for now I am loving the 12AU7.
LOrdGwyn - I have never heard the Fivre, and I am curious what it's sound sig is like? I have a bunch of Brimar, and love them, and I am curious how they compare.

Thanks! The Tung Sol 421A is a 5998 more or less, whether or not they are truly different is a hotly debated topic.

I would say if you like Brimar, Fivre is another good one to try. Compared to the Brimar/STC CV1988, I would say the Fivre are a little bit less warm with a slightly more forward midrange, but it is infinitely smooth and what they are most known for. Ever since a gracious Head-Fier gifted me a Fivre 6SN7 with a tube purchase I made, I have been smitten. If you keep your eyes on international eBay, you can usually find a Fivre 6SN7 for $50 USD or less.

Jul 20, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #9,660 of 12,335
They are an Italian brand, really great stuff, worth a listen I think! If they are intact, they can have beautiful labels too, here are some others in my collection.

Thanks! The Tung Sol 421A is a 5998 more or less, whether or not they are truly different is a hotly debated topic.

I would say if you like Brimar, Fivre is another good one to try. Compared to the Brimar/STC CV1988, I would say the Fivre are a little bit less warm with a slightly more forward midrange, but it is infinitely smooth and what they are most known for. Ever since a gracious Head-Fier gifted me a Fivre 6SN7 with a tube purchase I made, I have been smitten. If you keep your eyes on international eBay, you can usually find a Fivre 6SN7 for $50 USD or less.
Cool! Thanks for the info.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back