1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Crack;Bottlehead OTL

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by ironbut, Mar 9, 2010.
First

Back
580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589
591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600
Next

Last
  1. Paladin79
    LMAO, that is funny and also quite intelligent since you used Portuguese and not Spanish. I try to avoid trouble with the moderators and I deleted several responses before I finally decided on something to say.

2. Renato Fury
    The idiot here already explained why he can not build one, unless you're still an illiterate I'd understand, but rest easy because I'm just kidding. :o2smile:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
  3. Renato Fury
    Well, since I'm the only jerk in the world who can not build one then I just have to buy Project Ember II "already built", but would anyone know how I could make Ember sound as close as possible to the sound of Bottlehead Crack ?

4. ProfFalkin
    Look, if you're not going to buy a Crack, and you have nothing meaningful to contribute about the Crack (which you haven't to this point), then perhaps you should go annoy talk to the people in the Project Ember thread. Ok?

larcenasb and Paladin79 like this.
  5. Renato Fury
    If you answer my question I will stop talking about Project Ember II. OK ? :k701smile:

6. Paladin79
    Buy a Mullard-Webcor 12au7 tube, swap it for the one that comes in the Ember and you are all set. Enjoy the amp in good health, be well and prosper, bye.

During lunch I need to run by the Ford dealer and ask him why he is not selling Cadillacs and ask them what I will have to change in order for them to be the same. Mind you I am not a mechanic and am incapable of changing many things on a car but yet I want him to answer me anyway.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    larcenasb and ProfFalkin like this.
  7. Paladin79
    Any chance of a sale on Crack amps coming about in the near future? I believe the sale early this year was on an anniversary of some sort.

8. ProfFalkin
    Or one on the crackatwoa? Because... you know... capacitors.

9. Paladin79
    I asked cause I saw Doc B. listed below but he might be reading some of the earlier posts, or like me just keeps this program open sometimes and goes on to do other things.

10. larcenasb
    Hey Tom, I went ahead and installed the preamp mod tonight! I just realized you are who I talked with months ago about quality cables and you said a Belden factory is close by you--I realized this when I saw the cable you sent me was a Belden!

About the amp: Ideally I'd have put the output jack closer to the RCAs but it was a bit crowded in that area, so I opted for an open area towards the middle. Take a look! All I have is my receiver with my HT system to test the preamp performance and still...I LOVE IT! The mods and tubes I have really breathe a sense of renewal into my HT. I watched Kubo and the Two Strings and was just blown away at the atmosphere and sophistication coming out of my modest HT system now. So, I'm off researching to get a second-hand amp (maybe an Acurus A150 or Nakamichi PA-5) and some nice stand-mount speakers to really take advantage of this new functionality for my workstation/studio set up. Somebody should tally how many thank yous this will be...thank you, Tom. :)

11. larcenasb
    I'd have a hard time fitting much else into my crack now. Lmao, I had to. :beyersmile:

P.S. Sorry for just using my camera phone, sometimes I'm not in the mood to get out my lenses and all.

20170914_213639.jpg 20170914_213719.jpg 20170914_214054.jpg 20170914_214030.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    Paladin79 likes this.
  12. ProfFalkin
    INEXCUSABLE!!! WTF man. :deadhorse: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Good lord, yeah you have no room left. How do you like the sound there, and what are those blue caps?

Paladin79 likes this.
  13. larcenasb
    Hahaha, I'll take proper photos once I get my amp and speakers to complete the setup!

I love the sound coming out of my AKG K240 Sextetts, sincerely I do. My fully-modded crack drives them with supreme confidence, and gracefully as well, making listening each night truly rejuvenating. Furthermore, I love letting friends and family listen, most of them have never heard audio through tubes before (let alone high quality audio) and the wow factor that you can see lighting up their faces is really satisfying.

Those blue caps are 4.7uF ClarityCap PXs bypassing the first two power supply caps. It's hard to say with scientific confidence how much any one upgrade does to the sound, but all the power supply upgrades together (Choke, Cree Schottky diodes, all the caps and bypass caps) clearly makes my amp more dynamic, airy and effortless sounding, while also making the background quiet even when dialing the volume to max.

Paladin79 and ProfFalkin like this.
  14. Paladin79
    IMG_2196.JPG I am impressed by the installation of all of those components and you did a very neat job of installing the pre-amp line. I have a separate home theatre system but I do use the Crack as a preamp into Martin Logan powered electrostatic speakers and through a NAD amp and Polk audio speakers. I also use a Schiit Valhalla 2 as pre-amp into the Crack amp. I built a custom switch box so I can switch back and forth between the devices. Personally I prefer Binaural plus music for headphones but otherwise I have in excess of 35k albums in various formats. I prefer the tube sound so somewhere along the line I end up using that through my stereo system. If you run out of room in that box you can always do what I did with the black amp, stack two Crack cabinets, glue them, use filler to conceal the seam and then use a high gloss lacquer paint. Roughly 15 coats, sanding between each but I am guessing at number of coats.

I am trying to get a bunch of high end capacitors from a supplier in Florida but with the hurricane, it may be a while before I accomplish this. I will probably seek your advice on some of that Larcensab but I am open to any suggestions. I should be shipping the black amp to my son fairly soon and I will most likely let him worry about capacitor upgrades (I taught him enough electronics so I have no worries with him making the changes.) I learned about the preamp setup from Iluvmusic2 so I would not take credit for that. Before I started building a Crack I knew I wanted more space (larger cabinet), dual volume controls (I greatly prefer them), VU meters for looks, and a clean top other than tubes and transformer. I am always plugging things in and out and I did not like the idea of reaching around tubes for switches or cables so all Crack amps I build will most likely be this design. I used the original crack top plate for the black and carbon fiber amp and just covered over the holes I did not want to use, that part was quick and easy and not overly expensive.

Oh yeah as I said before the preamp out can double as another headphone jack, I am constantly letting friends and family listen to the crack amps and being able to plug in two sets gives me a chance to monitor the music I expose others to. I experiment with many types of wire for headphone cables so the more plug ins I have the better lol.

I do use a lot of Belden cable and most likely did talk to you about it a while back. I am on the DIY cable thread here a lot and I try to answer what questions I can. I certainly used a lot of it in my Crack builds.

It would be fun to mount either a dac or an amp in the above box, probably not a Crack amp unless I drastically changed the layout and spread it out more.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
    larcenasb likes this.
  15. larcenasb
    Thank you! Yeah, like with my evolutionary pictures from the first build to now with all the mods, I slowly got better at cleaning things up! This was a great experience for me to learn that and so much more.

I would be very happy to give some advice, or at least my experience and reasoning for each of the cap upgrades. Let me know anytime!

Oh, I was wondering what you did for the tall wood bases...stacking is a good idea, your amp looks so potent and serious that way! I really like your custom natural wood base too.

One day as perhaps my final mod, I think I'll add VU meters into the wood as you did. Having them be detachable as well so I can access the underside no problem. And wow, then--this is a bit difficult to say with the lump in my throat--that would complete my amp. :)

First

Back
580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589
591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600
Next

Last