Crack;Bottlehead OTL
Apr 20, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #8,491 of 12,335
6080 Tung Sol Chatham

Buke is sending me one of these to try out so apparently he likes it pretty well. I have only heard good things about Tung Sol but my tube knowledge is lacking. I used to own hundreds of them but technology changes so I am just getting back to them. Funny how the circle goes around, vinyl is making a comeback and people are looking for NOS tubes from the fifties and sixties.Kind of makes you want to start socking things away in a warehouse like Andy Warhol., Who knows what might have great value one day?
Been super busy and forgot. It will get to you don't fret just might take a few more days.

Apr 20, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #8,492 of 12,335
I rarely fret and I was just saying I believed you liked that tube lol. For a while I will be busy building a modified Crack so no rush. I just found some blade switches I want to incorporate ( knife switches) and I am thinking through that. I have seen a couple Steampunk amps lately and need to step up my game.

Today I have been thinking about the wiring on the amps I will be building. I am extending two copper plates so grounding and shielding are definitely a factor.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #8,494 of 12,335
  So I have HD600's, and i have DT770 premium 600ohm's in the mail coming to me right now, ive heard the crack pairs well with both of these, does it pair well with the HD800 too?

The paperwork that comes with the Crack describes it as working best with headphones having an impedance of 100 or more so many high impedance headphones would pair well I would think. Individuals might prefer one pair of headphones over another but I believe you are in good shape once you get into the higher impedance threshold.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:54 PM Post #8,495 of 12,335
So I have HD600's, and i have DT770 premium 600ohm's in the mail coming to me right now, ive heard the crack pairs well with both of these, does it pair well with the HD800 too?
I have not heard the 800's on a Crack so can't say for sure but I have heard others say it is ok but most who buy the 800's generally go for a bit higher end amp but it is fantastic with 600's and 650's the later I own. I have heard the DT 880's 250 ohm from my amp and it was quite nice.

Apr 21, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #8,496 of 12,335
The beauty of the Crack is that you can make it work with most headphones > 120 Ohms (except maybe AKG K1K). Tubes can be rolled and modifications made so it can be seasoned to taste for each headphone's sound signature.

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #8,497 of 12,335
Well got the kit today and was starting to build the top plate and I've been shorted the ground lug screw. So now I'm counting the whole parts list. I probably have one around the house and know for sure have one at our shop but still a pain. I'm not going to request a replacement as I hope to have it done but it was checked off on the list so someone is slacking ; )

Apr 21, 2017 at 6:15 PM Post #8,498 of 12,335
Well everything else is here sans one screw life could be worse.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #8,501 of 12,335
  awesome! it'll be a while before i get the 800's, but would you recommend getting the speedball or tube roll with something like the tung sol 5998 first?

​I originally setup my BH Crack without the Speedball installed and liked how it sounded, began rolling tubes and after a year installed the speedball only to remove it a month later, I just liked the sound without the speedball better, a little more clarity and details to me.  Its also possible my speedball was defective but I've heard 2 other BH Crack's with the speedball and like mine without the speedball better. 

With the cost of tubes and cap updates I would consider other options like the Elise (a noticeable improvement in sound stage but will need to roll some tubes), Hugo1/2 (one of the few that pairs well with both HD800 and HE560) or Liquid Glass (with a decent DAC and run balanced, really good with both HD800 and HE560).  Right now I have 5 amps (BH Crack, Lyr2, Ember, headphone output of UD-301, Asgard2) to pair with my various headphones but am trying to reduce it to 2-3, need the table space to put wine glasses on.

Apr 21, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #8,502 of 12,335

I should at least check if all the parts are there, I will not be starting the build for a little while but at least it is not a huge list to work through.

I appear to have different tubes so I will see how a new Philips/ECG  tube compared to the older RCA in my other Crack.

I just realized that I will be able to build one amp with the speedball upgrade and try it out side by side against an amp without and decide which I like better since it appears that opinions vary on the upgrade. It will be a while before I upgrade caps but other than that I am pretty well set on other things I will change out on my second Crack.

Apr 21, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #8,503 of 12,335

You sure it wasn't loose in the box? because then we could all say....

You have a screw loose!

:D

Apr 21, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #8,504 of 12,335
Apr 21, 2017 at 11:59 PM Post #8,505 of 12,335
Took a break from the new build to install a new led in the old Crack that was dead and it is alive again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back