Cozoy Takt Pro Ultra-Portable DAC/AMP - Discussion and Reviews
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ryanjsoo

Reviewer for The Headphone List
ryanjsoo's Reviews
Introduction

Opening up a thread since I haven't seen much talk of Cozoy's Takt line of products. TheTakt Pro is Cozoy's latest DAC/AMP that holds great relevance given that most modern smartphones omit a headphone jack. Its minute shell makes for a practical alternative to factory provided dongles or a regular portable DAC/AMP like the Fiio Q1 MKII. The Takt Pro is a nice alternative to devices like the Audirect Whistle and even the Dragonfly's and Cozoy promise impressive sound quality through the implementation of the Saber ESS9018Q2C. The Takt Pro carries a $280 USD asking price which is on the higher side but reasonable given the cost of miniaturisation.

22780653_1338241459634918_6064678368196334435_n.jpg

Description

Remodel the portable player experience - easily upgrade your phone to a high-end portable player
  • COZOY TAKT Pro decoders use the same aviation aluminum alloy AL6063 of the several generations iPhone to build. Equipped with high-performance decoder chip and line design, coupled with the chip built-in DSP (Digital Sound Processing) digital correction engine settings, in order to bring strong output drive, very low noise and ultra-high signal-to-noise ratio under a very small volume, which compared with the traditional decoding amplification combination, non-general meticulous sound experience
  • Each set of TAKT pro includes Lighting (including genuine Apple transmission chip), USB and Micro USB OTG wire, support iOS, Android and a variety of USB platform. TakT Pro has a signal-to-noise ratio of up to 120dB and a low delay of 80ms, install the ASIO Driver, then compatible with a variety of DAW and fine tuning.
Use the special customized SABRE9018Q2C for portable devices
  • TAKT PRO uses the SABRE9018Q2C reference level D / A converter, the chip uses advanced 40-QFN package, built-in Time Domain Jitter Eliminator technology. The 32-Bit HyperStream architecture native supports 32-bit 384kHz PCM signals and up to DSD-11.2MHz signal processing.
Without battery, screw design and coupled with the top parameters

• Through the USB device to take power (without battery aging risk)
  • 6063 aluminum alloy to create a smooth shell (aluminum, magnesium, silicon mixed materials, reduce the bad resonance)
Support ADIO (80ms low latency)
  • 32Bit 384 kHz (recording engineer level file decoding)
  • Native decoding playback, DSD 256-11, 289, 600 (11.2MHz)
  • Emphasize material, focus on the stability of the streamlined design
Ultra-lightweight design, suitable for daily carry
  • Integral and without screws, can be detachable cable design
  • Very low ripple linear power supply
  • Asynchronous clock
  • Six independent regulator circuits
Connect with your portable device

• Each TAKT Pro contains three wires:
  • iOS lighting cable – lighting device w/iOS onboard
  • Micro-micro USB cable – Android phones, tablets
  • full size USB cable – MACs, Laptops, PC systems

Specification

• Output power: 1.5v RMS @32ohm per channel
  • Housing material: 6063 Aluminum Alloy
  • Input power: device dependent
  • Input: micro USB, USB, lighting
  • Output: 3.5mm TRS Stereo
  • SNR: 120dB

Impressions

The Takt Pro is a tiny DAC/AMP that runs off the source device much like the Dragonfly DACs. Its aluminium enclosure is absolutely tiny and very well finished, the device was plug and play on my IOS, Android and Windows devices. Cozoy implements the Saber 9018Q2C DAC chip, though the Pro creates a sound that is very atypical for a Saber device. The specification of the Amp section is unknown though it has a low output impedance and gobs of volume, 1.5v RMS @32ohms. Given the power limitations of Lightning and micro-usb, the device is catered towards IEM users though the Takt Pro was still able to drive my headphones surprisingly well. In addition, the amp is very clean, even my Campfire Jupiter discerned just a faint amount of hiss when music wasn't playing, the rest were silent.

22829901_1338241489634915_3681578957165663582_o.jpg

The Takt Pro pursues an analogue tonality built atop a warm bass and smooth treble response. Compared to the Oppo HA-2 that utilises the same DAC chip, the Takt Pro is immediately less digital and, dare I say, more musical in its presentation. This starts with a full low-end that prioritizes a rounder mid-bass note over sub-bass slam. Lows and mids are still well integrated and the Pro's entire midrange sounds clean and clear with that typical Saber resolution imbuing nuances with a sense of immediacy. Highs aren't as immediately effortless and airy as the HA-2 but they are just as resolving and lack any Saber glare, the Takt Pro is actually more sedate. Soundstage isn't excellent, separation and space clearly don't match my other Saber sources and imaging seems to be a bit strange. That said, it is a very tightly woven presentation with great cohesion between elements and one that works within the realm of Cozoy's analogue sound.

22770784_1338241606301570_2226632128946945748_o.jpg

So far I'm really enjoying this presentation, it's sculpted but tasteful. The soundstage is my biggest gripe, I'll have to experiment a bit more but the Takt Pro is shaping up to be a nice hyper-portable DAC/AMP if one with questionable value for money. Personally, I've never been a fan of external DACs for smartphone use, but the Takt Pro's small dimensions enable practical use anywhere and I certainly prefer using it over a dongle. Using a piece of 3M reusable double-sided tape, the Takt can be easily adhered to the back of a smartphone making for a streamlined package.

Reviews
@Brooko - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/cozoy-takt-pro.22719/reviews#review-19586
ryanjsoo - Theheadphonelist - Everyday Listening
Headfonia - https://www.headfonia.com/review-cozoy-takt-pro/

Video Reviews
@cleg -

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2017 at 1:55 AM Post #6 of 36
I don't have the DragonFly models on hand at the moment, but I will be sure to borrow one for the full review.

I have the DragonFly Red and I received yesterday the Cozoy.

I found the DFR to be just better: better soundstage, better definition in space, better bass and highs ... and the DFR is 100€ cheaper!

Nov 11, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #7 of 36
I have the DragonFly Red and I received yesterday the Cozoy.

I found the DFR to be just better: better soundstage, better definition in space, better bass and highs ... and the DFR is 100€ cheaper!
May i know what earphones/ headphones are you using? Takt pro is supposed to be paired with mid-high end ciems/iems, it doesn't work with everything but when it does it shall impress!

Nov 11, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #8 of 36
May i know what earphones/ headphones are you using? Takt pro is supposed to be paired with mid-high end ciems/iems, it doesn't work with everything but when it does it shall impress!

I tried it with the Campfire Andromeda and my PC with a A/B comparison: the DragonFly Red and the Cozoy were attached to the usb and I just changed the jack..

Nov 12, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #9 of 36
I tried it with the Campfire Andromeda and my PC with a A/B comparison: the DragonFly Red and the Cozoy were attached to the usb and I just changed the jack..

Do try it with other sources and earphones though! Also as an official suggestion please burn in for 100hours (not matter you believe in this or not!)
different USB cables makes a difference too

Nov 12, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #10 of 36
Do try it with other sources and earphones though! Also as an official suggestion please burn in for 100hours (not matter you believe in this or not!)
different USB cables makes a difference too

I tried both with the PC and the Samsung S8 as source.

Why should I try more? Is the Cozoy supposed to be better than the DragonFly Red? I don't think so, the DFR is clearly better according to me. Indeed on the Webseite of ESS the DFR DAC Chip is in the category "audiophile" and the Cozoy DAC Chip just "mobile".

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 36
I tried both with the PC and the Samsung S8 as source.

Why should I try more? Is the Cozoy supposed to be better than the DragonFly Red? I don't think so, the DFR is clearly better according to me. Indeed on the Webseite of ESS the DFR DAC Chip is in the category "audiophile" and the Cozoy DAC Chip just "mobile".

That is a poor perception, better parts means better sound is a general marketing hype.
There is little correlation between quality and the chipset used, implementation is the key and there are many more parts beyond the chipsets that shapes the sound.
Not to mention the cost of the chipsets are actually similar.

And yes certainly you could rate one product over another objectively, but why not try give it a bit more time to burn in?
Do elaborate more about the bass and treble too, is it rolling off or you could hear it being technically weaker? :anguished:
It seems more like a mismatch when you feel like it is horrible in all areas!

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #12 of 36
That is a poor perception, better parts means better sound is a general marketing hype.
There is little correlation between quality and the chipset used, implementation is the key and there are many more parts beyond the chipsets that shapes the sound.
Not to mention the cost of the chipsets are actually similar.

And yes certainly you could rate one product over another objectively, but why not try give it a bit more time to burn in?
Do elaborate more about the bass and treble too, is it rolling off or you could hear it being technically weaker? :anguished:
It seems more like a mismatch when you feel like it is horrible in all areas!

I don't want to burn in it because I have to sent it back for the refund!

Nov 13, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #15 of 36
I just paired the Campfire Andromeda and Beyerdynamics DTT 990 Pro.

It is a shame you don't have the chance to listen to more iems with it. With the very different power draw and output testing the two with just the Andromeda won't do it justice, not to mention these aren't supposed to drive a 990 pro.
Would be very subjective for ones to rate DAC Amps with just one earphone and one headphone and if you are returning used items this way this is an abuse of the system.:frowning:

Do remove the seller link as it is against forum rules too
We are sorry if it really doesn't work for you too, but please be objective

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back