Cozoy Aegis - 192kHz 24bit DAC/amp - Compatible with Android and iOS!
Sep 8, 2015 at 2:56 AM Post #451 of 789
@NZtechfreak: Huh. Good to know. I paired it with my HE400, which have pretty energetic upper end and thought it was really nice. I also found Aegis played nicely with the several HP & IEM I tested it with. Of course, I couldn't test everything
wink.gif

The HE400 are much, much harder to drive than the Pandora Hope VI, which are incredibly sensitive for a fullsize can. That's part of why I think it might just be a particular thing with the Hope VI. 

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:09 AM Post #452 of 789
Well in the end I only had a chance to hear it with my Pandora Hope VI. May be that it wasn't a great pairing, but it was so shouty and full of glare with that headphone that it wasn't funny. Switched to my Oppo HA-2 and the difference was not subtle, with the Oppo sounding vastly more refined and not fatiguing like the Aegis. I should point out that I have slight hearing loss in the higher frequencies, so I'm not usually that sensitive to glare - if anything I like punchy detail-forward sounding gear with my musical preferences (rock and a lot of metal, although I listen to virtually everything apart from opera). Given that, it seems like many other listeners would find this an extremely difficult listen (with the Pandora Hope VI at any rate). I hope I can get some time with it on my other headphones at some point, would like to see how it fares on other headphones given the Pandora Hope VI is something of a special case.

you are scaring me :rolleyes:

Sep 8, 2015 at 3:56 AM Post #453 of 789
you are scaring me :rolleyes:

It's one headphone pairing, and with a headphone unlike any others, I wouldn't go getting too perturbed by it.

Sep 8, 2015 at 12:44 PM Post #454 of 789
FAD H-VII sounded absolutely atrocious with Cozoy Astrapi - piercing highs and scooped mids. Completely altered the sound signature vs any other source I used with H-VII. Turned out Astrapi also did this with another BA containing (hybrid) IEM I tested it with. Everything else seemed perfectly normal.

Aegis OTOH, handled everything (including H-VII) just fine with no sound sig alteration.

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #455 of 789
With careful consideration, I just bought an Aegis. I love the touchscreen of my phone, the portability of the Aegis, over any other style Amp/DAC you can use with your phone. I just was won over by the reviews, and hope I can EQ in some rumbling bottom end, like I can with my ASG -2.5s and my X3. Time will tell.

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #456 of 789
With careful consideration, I just bought an Aegis. I love the touchscreen of my phone, the portability of the Aegis, over any other style Amp/DAC you can use with your phone. I just was won over by the reviews, and hope I can EQ in some rumbling bottom end, like I can with my ASG -2.5s and my X3. Time will tell.

Yup, you can do that. If you don't need hi-res support, the Equalizer app has a 7-band parametric EQ and a gain slider for fine-tuning the volume. If you want hi-res support, I think NLNH's recommendations of KaiserTone and NePLAYER are a good place to start, since both have a few good EQ options (including spline EQ) + gain knob / slider for fine-tuning the volume.

As with Hawaiibadboy (and others), I found the bass wasn't elevated with Aegis. It is tight and quick and responds well to EQ. Check back in once you get it and let us know what you think. And welcome to the revolution!

Sep 8, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #457 of 789
Yup, you can do that. If you don't need hi-res support, the Equalizer app has a 7-band parametric EQ and a gain slider for fine-tuning the volume. If you want hi-res support, I think NLNH's recommendations of KaiserTone and NePLAYER are a good place to start, since both have a few good EQ options (including spline EQ) + gain knob / slider for fine-tuning the volume.

As with Hawaiibadboy (and others), I found the bass wasn't elevated with Aegis. It is tight and quick and responds well to EQ. Check back in once you get it and let us know what you think. And welcome to the revolution!

Thanks for the info. I was going to use PowerAmp with it, as I personally love the interface. But I'll look into the others mentioned as well, after I tweak, and get a real handle on the Aegis.

Sep 9, 2015 at 3:00 AM Post #461 of 789
Must get a review together. Loving this thing with my asg2.5

Not a huge fan with the pm3 I auditioned. But the pm3 doesn't have enough bass for me, so the aegis didn't help things there.

Strangely I liked it paired with the grado 325i. I don't understand me. Don't expect you to lol.

While the 325 has a lot going on up top and not that much down low, I really enjoyed it. For some reason I am willing to forgive grados for things I hate about other cans. Perhaps it is how well they present guitar that I give them a leave pass.

Regardless, really loving the aegis. Draws as much detail from the dark asg 2.5 as anything will.

Sep 9, 2015 at 4:55 AM Post #463 of 789
Must get a review together. Loving this thing with my asg2.5

Not a huge fan with the pm3 I auditioned. But the pm3 doesn't have enough bass for me, so the aegis didn't help things there.

Strangely I liked it paired with the grado 325i. I don't understand me. Don't expect you to lol.

While the 325 has a lot going on up top and not that much down low, I really enjoyed it. For some reason I am willing to forgive grados for things I hate about other cans. Perhaps it is how well they present guitar that I give them a leave pass.

Regardless, really loving the aegis. Draws as much detail from the dark asg 2.5 as anything will.

Yes, Grado works well, similar results with 325e.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back