Cowon S9 vs iRiver Spinn
Sep 9, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 40
imho engadget is probably the worst place to look when it comes to choosing gear. All they do is showcase it and give you a biased opinion. Dont purchase based on what you read there.

CNET UK has a review on the Spinn

The above mentions design more than anything. But it is definitely a credible review.

Atm there is absolutely no media on the s9 of worthy note. If I were you I'd wait for one of those. There should be a review before the release date

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 40
not sure why i bothered to vote: what do you mean other? new players? flash players? any players? headphones? girls?

as far as bias: every place has massive bias. this place for instance...

edit: the control 'spin' is about as new as... 1999 or prior when sony used that control scheme on all its md, cd etc remotes and on some body units.

no aac is dissapointing and im sure no gapless but at least it looks nice.

as for the s9: why did i vote for it? who knows. i know it will be equally nice looking and equally bothered by lack of gapless, run of the mill codec support etc.

edit again: but they both look phenom: s9 a bit better but i am more biased toward iriver than cowon after having owned both (but both i have been massively dissapointed in)

Sep 9, 2008 at 12:33 AM Post #5 of 40
shigzeo;4708295 as far as bias: every place has massive bias. this place for instance...[/QUOTE said:
lol -> u rock shizego

no but engadget is as bad as a product page. All they do is showcase the player and say whether it is 'good' or 'bad.' Often they have not even go a demo. At least here you get biased opinions from owners, every now and then you also get people with all different types players who can make comparisons.

Sep 9, 2008 at 1:59 AM Post #6 of 40
Call me a design wh**e. I just love the way spin looks.
biggrin.gif
S9 looks good as well but I'm not really into their menu system.

Sep 9, 2008 at 6:19 AM Post #8 of 40
I will buy the one that doesn't require me to convert video before putting it on the player. They'll both have great SQ, but the defining factor for most people will be video conversion. The S9 requires you to convert, but I'm not sure if the Spinn does. So yes, I'm leaning towards the Spinn.

Sep 9, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #9 of 40
Spinn is cool, but I really need to see the S9 in action. I voted also but should have waited. 2 bad I'm biased in favor of Cowon. remember though that they've had a FEW failures lately. Yup, should have been more patient.

Oct 2, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dregur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which do you think is a better device?

The iRiver Spinn:

iriver Spinn caught on video, kills without words - Engadget

or the Cowon S9?

Cowon's S9 Curve with 3.3-inch AMOLED touch-screen kills with style - Engadget

One of them might be my next MP3 player.

I believe the iRiver Spinn will be a better choice, I'm happy to see the 4GB and 8GB model are finally on sale.
https://www.warehouse123.com/Product...=IRIU308GB-SLV
Not sure when will the 16GB model come out.

Oct 2, 2008 at 11:18 PM Post #11 of 40
come on u put a poll for a product that no one yet has an opinion about? BUY it first and then tell us your impressions...u fill the forum with annoying and with no reason posts.

Oct 3, 2008 at 4:39 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sotiris /img/forum/go_quote.gif
come on u put a poll for a product that no one yet has an opinion about? BUY it first and then tell us your impressions...u fill the forum with annoying and with no reason posts.

Exactly, i'm still looking for some good reviews coming out.

Oct 3, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by majkel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cowon S9 looks like female gadget, blah! :p

And the Spinn looks like a toy in comparison
tongue_smile.gif

I'm not sure myself. Since video is going to be the main benefit of both these players over existing ones with those screens and all, it will probably come down to conversion, as said before.

Design wise, I prefer the S9 but not too much over the Spinn - I have a feeling the scroller on the Spinn will become tiresome after a while though.

But then they both could turn out to be dogs so I haven't voted yet!

Oct 3, 2008 at 3:34 PM Post #15 of 40
Not to sound like an ipod fanboy or something. But the ipod Touch just trumps them both. Its alot slimmer then both the S9 and the spinn. It has alot more features. Though it doesnt have bluetooth. Its much cheaper then the Spinn and I expect it to be cheaper then S9 too.

The biggest thing though.. its backed up by a huge amount of developers and has a huge fanbase. The amount of apps, games, mods and accessories its going to get will be huge. Jailbreaks for example. The ipod touch is already a solid piece of hardware but the software is up there too.

I am stilling waiting for the S9 to come out though. For a final verdict

Users who are viewing this thread

Back