Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Apr 20, 2018 at 6:46 AM Post #226 of 448
Post some pics of your plenue rs :wink:

My PR arrived today :) Been trialling it out, doing some comparisons with my Plenue M.

First up, the PR is bit lighter, and slightly shorter. The screen actually seems brighter and a bit more vivid - hasn't come out so well in the picture. On the one hand there is a screen protector on the Plenue M, but it seems like the difference is too large to just be a screen protector effect (I could check later once the screen protector for the PR arrives).

The PR sounds a bit brighter and more detailed than the M. In contrast the M has a sound which seems a bit further back, like it's more distant or veiled. Hard to put into words, but I can hear extra little details with the PR that makes the listening experience a bit more vivid and intimate. Of course it all depends on personal perception and some people might like the M sound better if they tried them side by side, the M could be said to have slightly more body in the lower mids and a smoother analogue-type sound, compared to a slightly clearer sound with the PR. Overall, they're definitely variations on a similar theme and are birds of a feather, but the difference is noticeable. In all, it's all about the sound for me and I'm happy - it's exactly the difference I was looking for, the M just left me wanting a bit more!

The PR has a slight lag in the USB DAC function. Maybe not as much lag as the M, but lag is lag so neither DAP could be used to watch video, music only for these on USB DAC function.

I haven't tried the Bluetooth function as I don't own anything Bluetooth (I'll use it when in other people's houses/cars though), and haven't got any headphones with balanced cables yet (looking to pair with some Meze 99 classics in the near future).

Build-wise, the PR feels great, it really is a well made product and feels built to last with a touch class. Database scanning only takes about 5 seconds for me, with approx 100 GB of music, so even though it happens at each start up, it's never bothered me (same with Plenue M). I'm also glad the PR has the same responsive custom JetEffect settings that I'd experienced on the Plenue D and 1 - the Plenue M is almost only suitable for preset JetEffects, as the custom changes are sluggish in comparison. The rubber back on the PR grips the tabletop a bit when laid flat, so it's got a bit more resistance to accidentally pushing it around. I'm not really sure if I'll end up using the multi-function button much - the UI is so quick and easy to navigate anyway, the options for the multi-function only skip out maybe one touch.

Overall, I'm impressed :)

Attachments

• IMG_2025.JPG
    IMG_2025.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2026.JPG
    IMG_2026.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2027.JPG
    IMG_2027.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 22, 2018 at 5:30 PM Post #227 of 448
Tried the PR last night with a UE Boom 2 Bluetooth speaker- didn’t work. The PR searches but doesn’t see the speaker, whereas my iPhone can find and connect straight away. A bit disappointing. I’ll try it with my car stereo and see if it works.

Apr 22, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #228 of 448
My PR arrived today :) Been trialling it out, doing some comparisons with my Plenue M.

First up, the PR is bit lighter, and slightly shorter. The screen actually seems brighter and a bit more vivid - hasn't come out so well in the picture. On the one hand there is a screen protector on the Plenue M, but it seems like the difference is too large to just be a screen protector effect (I could check later once the screen protector for the PR arrives).

The PR sounds a bit brighter and more detailed than the M. In contrast the M has a sound which seems a bit further back, like it's more distant or veiled. Hard to put into words, but I can hear extra little details with the PR that makes the listening experience a bit more vivid and intimate. Of course it all depends on personal perception and some people might like the M sound better if they tried them side by side, the M could be said to have slightly more body in the lower mids and a smoother analogue-type sound, compared to a slightly clearer sound with the PR. Overall, they're definitely variations on a similar theme and are birds of a feather, but the difference is noticeable. In all, it's all about the sound for me and I'm happy - it's exactly the difference I was looking for, the M just left me wanting a bit more!

The PR has a slight lag in the USB DAC function. Maybe not as much lag as the M, but lag is lag so neither DAP could be used to watch video, music only for these on USB DAC function.

I haven't tried the Bluetooth function as I don't own anything Bluetooth (I'll use it when in other people's houses/cars though), and haven't got any headphones with balanced cables yet (looking to pair with some Meze 99 classics in the near future).

Build-wise, the PR feels great, it really is a well made product and feels built to last with a touch class. Database scanning only takes about 5 seconds for me, with approx 100 GB of music, so even though it happens at each start up, it's never bothered me (same with Plenue M). I'm also glad the PR has the same responsive custom JetEffect settings that I'd experienced on the Plenue D and 1 - the Plenue M is almost only suitable for preset JetEffects, as the custom changes are sluggish in comparison. The rubber back on the PR grips the tabletop a bit when laid flat, so it's got a bit more resistance to accidentally pushing it around. I'm not really sure if I'll end up using the multi-function button much - the UI is so quick and easy to navigate anyway, the options for the multi-function only skip out maybe one touch.

Overall, I'm impressed :)

Cowon gets overlooked by their more well-known peer. They need to improve their marketing as their products are really good and can compete with just about everyone.

Apr 23, 2018 at 3:58 PM Post #229 of 448
A little update on the battery issue i had on Cowon Plenue R
it seem that Turning it completly off and having LED light option turned off
then battery is not drained when is turned completely off.
Issue i had before was battery get drained when completely shut off
this happened it seem when Led light was turned on.
It could be a random problem so what i do is turn off Led light in options
before i turn the device complety off.
but when led option is off and device completely off i dont understand
why that would drain the battery which it did.

So i recomend Guys you turn the bluetooth Off when not use it
to save battery life
Have LED light off before turning Plenue R completely off
and have screensaver on
seem that battery can drain with Led light turned on in option
and then turn off cowon plenue R completely
even if is turned off completely led Turned on in option seem to drain battery

Still need to do more testing how long battery last when playing a song on repeat
manual say like 17 hours nonstop so we see.

Else i am happy to say there is no other problem
than the battery issue i had but it seem low battery life is normal on Cowon plenue R
but i guess thats okey, if i can just turn it off completely and battery not get drained
that way i dont have to charge battery the days i dont use it.

Oh and is a very good player for the price
excelent screen love it.
and so happy cowon gave us 128 Gb for the price
Thank you cowon

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #231 of 448
Not much talk here... can anybody compare SQ to other players?
The only other DAP I have at hand is the Plenue M, and I’ve posted some comparisons above. I do have a microDSD DAC at home, need to sit down and do some side by side comparisons. I’ve previously owned a number of other daps but I’m always wary of comparing them by memory (for SQ at least, comparing functions/usability is easy).

I’ve had mine for a few weeks now and the only complaint I have about SQ is the bass and feel of body in the lower range is a bit lacking - it’s like it plays lower frequency sounds but the weight and emotion behind it is a bit thin. I’ve only used SE so far, maybe it would improve using balanced since there’s slightly more driving power from the balanced out. I haven’t got any headphones at the moment that can do balanced though.

With genres or passages that don’t require as much drive in the low end it sounds fantastic though - I was listening to Wardruna (Viking folk) the other night and had a big stupid grin on my face over how good it sounds. But I’m a huge metal fan and really like heavy to hit as heavy with a good slam when called for, and the PR has left me feeling a bit wanting in that respect though.

Still, it depends how nitpicking I want to be, and on intended use - if I use another DAC at home, for example, the SQ out of PR is fine for portable use on the go. I need to get headphones + cables that will allow me to try the balanced out. Curious to know how the PR compares to the new Plenue V for SQ as well - there’s reviews in Korean on the plenue.cowon site that show the V measures better than the R in terms of SNR etc.

May 15, 2018 at 12:49 PM Post #234 of 448
Just got my Plenue R. Compared to WM1a, no slouch! WM1a bit smooth, more depth, same wide soundstage. The Plenue R is bit brighter, thinner than WM1a and more detailed. Really close in terms of SQ.

Compared it using Layla. Balanced on Plenue R, SE on WM1a.
DSC_1009-01-01.jpeg

May 15, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #236 of 448
Balanced
better separation
a little more dynamic
Bass has more punch

Clarity and detail almost the same on both SE and Balanced. For me, Plenue R is better than AK70II which I had for few months, sounds congested. Now I need to choose which player to have between Plenue R and WM1A. Hands on WM1A first and really like it, thought it would be an easy battle for WM1A, and then the Plenue R came..

May 17, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #237 of 448
Got Leather case for my Plenue R today
Is a great leather case
I have not have time to test it on Plenue R
but i can finaly use Plenue R safely outdoor now when i have leather case
is so pretty

I think Cowon Plenue R is the best Music player
for its price range you get everything almost
realy apreciate the 128 gb and how pretty screen is
Good sound for my Denon headphones

Cowon is the best Dap company ever very good player
I buy cowon again

I hope cowon make it possible
To change the Led color of the player Plenue R
to the color we want to choose by menu settings
Now is choosed by the player after the quality of the music file
and that we get even more Audio player uci themes they are cool

G4dnYwn.jpg

VAgYrWo.jpg

Last edited:
May 20, 2018 at 6:55 AM Post #238 of 448
Balanced
better separation
a little more dynamic
Bass has more punch

Clarity and detail almost the same on both SE and Balanced. For me, Plenue R is better than AK70II which I had for few months, sounds congested. Now I need to choose which player to have between Plenue R and WM1A. Hands on WM1A first and really like it, thought it would be an easy battle for WM1A, and then the Plenue R came..

Had the chance to listen to WM1a and ZX300 yesterday in SE with my Fidue A73. Really liked the WM1a. Relatively dark sounding with great Soundstage. Is the Soundstage of the Plenue R comparable?

May 20, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #239 of 448
Had the chance to listen to WM1a and ZX300 yesterday in SE with my Fidue A73. Really liked the WM1a. Relatively dark sounding with great Soundstage. Is the Soundstage of the Plenue R comparable?

For me, zx300 wins the soundstage. It has better sense of 3d ness and realism but soundstage is bit smaller. Wm1a and plenue r comes follow. Plenue r has same width with wm1a but wm1a has better depth.

For detail and clarity, wm1a and plenue r really close. Plenue R feels more detailed due to brighter, wm1a feels smoother. Zx300 comes follow.

All of those comparisons are from SE in sony devices and balanced on plenue r with layla and isine 20

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 3:04 AM Post #240 of 448
Just got a pair of 99 classics in the mail today, with a balanced cable, so can finally trial the balanced out on the Plenue R. All my previous listening has been with a pair of B&W P7s on the single-ended output. The Meze balanced cable is 2.5mm terminated, and comes with a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm single-ended adapter. So I've done a few quick comparisons using the same headphones and cable with only the addition/subtraction of the 2.5/3.5mm adapter to compare outputs. Keep in mind the balanced out on my PR has zero burn in, with plenty on the SE output.

What I'm hearing so far is more bass on the balanced out, resulting in a fuller more natural sound. Out of the single ended I was finding the PR bright and detailed, but just lacking the oomph in the bass necessary, and so it sounded great, but had this kind of thin low end. That's improved with the balanced, and I'm already feeling like the balanced out is where you want to be on this player. Pity there's some great phones like the P7s which can't do balanced connections though (unless you rewired them that is, which would require time/money/skill), so my thoughts right now is that you won't get the maximum potential out of this DAP with headphones which can only do single-ended.

Since the single-ended output had left me feeling like wanting more (and probably because I'm impatient!) I also ordered a Plenue V in the meantime; I was curious what the PV would sound like, and thought a 1.7 Vrms output from the Plenue V might give me a sound more to my liking than the 1.4 Vrms single-ended out of the Plenue R. That's also a touch higher than the 1.6 Vrms from the balanced on the PR. The Plenue V should arrive in the next week or so, so I will post a few thoughts on the Plenue V thread when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back