Cowon Plenue R - All Round Player
Mar 18, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #331 of 448
Mar 18, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #332 of 448
Well a big shout out to DocHoliday for pointing me toward this Plenue R, I love the sound and being new to and hearing a balanced output is cherry on top.
Everytime I fire this thing up it sounds better it seems...lol....thanks again Doc!

Mar 19, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #334 of 448
Works great, I bought it specifically to try the balanced output and my CCA C16s in that capacity.
I love it so far its soft and has zero microphonics, I’ve never used a balanced output before so I can’t really compare it but I hear more detail and depth.
Lays on top of my ears fine as there is no memory wire on them, I’ll probably buy another when I have the extra cash...its all good!

Mar 19, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #335 of 448
Works great, I bought it specifically to try the balanced output and my CCA C16s in that capacity.
I love it so far its soft and has zero microphonics, I’ve never used a balanced output before so I can’t really compare it but I hear more detail and depth.
Lays on top of my ears fine as there is no memory wire on them, I’ll probably buy another when I have the extra cash...its all good!
Can't remember what balanced cable i purchased from amazon, but i have them on my LZ 4A iem's, and i bought a 3.5mm female to 2.5mm male adapter,
using that on my newly purchased Tin Audio T3's, the cable is so nice that i'm hesitant to change it out. Toys, toys toys, can't have enough i guess.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #336 of 448
Well a big shout out to DocHoliday for pointing me toward this Plenue R, I love the sound and being new to and hearing a balanced output is cherry on top.
Everytime I fire this thing up it sounds better it seems...lol....thanks again Doc!

From one audio enthusiast to another DOU ITASHIMASHITE Eclein-San (You're welcome, eclein). Glad I could be of assistance. IMHO, Cowon's can go head to head with some very pricey DAPs. They are currently underappreciated.....but that affords those in the know an incredible price-to-performance value proposition.

By the way, if you find yourself testing and comparing many different in-ears on your Cowon,I'd recommend getting a splitter. Plug the splitrer into the Cowon and use the splitter connections for the repeated switching. You can always buy another splitter but replacing or repairing the headphone out on your DAP would be cost prohibitive. Just a thought.

41N7dFCSw9L._AC_SY400_.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Split...1553101621&s=gateway&sr=8-10-spons&psc=1&th=1

71C+jO7GjhL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #337 of 448
From one audio enthusiast to another DOU ITASHIMA****E Eclein-San (You're welcome, eclein). Glad I could be of assistance. IMHO, Cowon's can go head to head with some very pricey DAPs. They are currently underappreciated.....but that affords those in the know an incredible price-to-performance value proposition.

By the way, if you find yourself testing and comparing many different in-ears on your Cowon,I'd recommend getting a splitter. Plug the splitrer into the Cowon and use the splitter connections for the repeated switching. You can always buy another splitter but replacing or repairing the headphone out on your DAP would be cost prohibitive. Just a thought.

https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Splitter-Extension-Earphone-Compatible/dp/B00MXN9ZQM/ref=mp_s_a_1_10_sspa?keywords=3.5mm+splitter&qid=1553101621&s=gateway&sr=8-10-spons&psc=1&th=1

Interesting, are you using it?

Mar 21, 2019 at 12:25 AM Post #338 of 448
Interesting, are you using it?

Yep, going on five years using a splitter. I rarely unplug the splitter from the DAP because I regularly review IEMs and comparing them side by side is most useful. The splitter has saved my DAPs from approximately one thousand plug-ins/unplugs. Definitely don't want to put wear and tear on the Headphone Out connection.

It's only $6 worth of preventative maintenance to save me triple headaches later.

*** EDIT ***
I should mention that this "preventative maintenance" recommendation is not something that works well on-the-go. I have several DAPs and the Cowon rarely sees the great outdoors but it will perform "outdoor" duty once I obtain the P2 and/or PL. Then the splitter(s) will be plugged into the P2 and/or PL. If I can get a Plenue 2 AND a Plenue L for around $1,600 total then I'll have all my bases covered for optimal pairing. Of course it will take a little over a year to obtain them at those prices ($P2 @ $799 now and perhaps a PL @ a comparable price (+/-) next year when Cowon tops the PL with a P3) but history shows that time is your friend in these circumstances. Warm-leaning in-ears will get paired with the Sabre DAC and bright-leaning in-ears will get paired with the AKM DAC. Sabre DACs typically lean towards the bright side, though the Plenue L reportedly has a full-bodied warmish tilt, and AKM DACs typically lean towards the warmth side. Implementation is everything but I'm willing to bet that the AKM will still sound warmer than the Sabre despite Cowon's ability to tune both DAC's to deliver the Cowon "house sound".

"All bases covered" refers to having a top-notch warm-leaning DAP (Plenue 2 w/ AK4497EQ) and a top-notch bright-leaning DAP (Plenue L w/ES9038Pro) but it also refers to having all three HO connections (2.5mm, 3.5mm and 4.4mm) as well.

Please keep in mind that Cowon's work best for me because:
1) I am mostly an IEM guy.
2) I don't do streaming or Bluetooth. I listen to HiRes from local storage only (Compact Discs ripped to HiRes FLAC, M4A or MP3-320kbps which are then stored on the DAP).

Just recently picked "KEN BURNS JAZZ: The Story Of America's Music" from his year 2000 PBS series on Jazz. Just ripped the CDs to HiRes files and they sound phenomenal.

R-954861-1177305425.jpeg.jpg

More info:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Ken-Burns-Jazz-The-Story-Of-Americas-Music/release/954861

At any rate, TOTL gear with some of the best DSP in the industry for approximately $1,600 (+/-)......and that's two DAPs not one.

Sign me up!

Doc

p.s. - is it just me or has anyone else noticed how many Astell&Kern DAPs are up for sale on the boards? Just sayin'...

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #339 of 448
Yep, going on five years using a splitter. I rarely unplug it from the DAP because I regularly review IEMs and comparing them side by side is most useful but the splitter has saved my DAPs from approximately one thousand plug-ins/unplugs. That'll put wear and tear on the Headphone Out connection. $6 to save it.
I just purchased a Cayin N5ii at a super low price, but the info going around was that the inputs were not up to snuff, so yes, this splitter makes sense. Any power loss if you are using 2 iem's at the same time, two people listening to the same tracks?

Mar 21, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #340 of 448
I just purchased a Cayin N5ii at a super low price, but the info going around was that the inputs were not up to snuff, so yes, this splitter makes sense. Any power loss if you are using 2 iem's at the same time, two people listening to the same tracks?

Yes, there is power loss (it was noticeable on power-efficient sources when I plugged in a second IEM). To all parties interested, just make sure your DAP has plenty of power for simultaneous use of multiple IEMs.

Cayin N5ii should be fine.

20180504055743857.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2019 at 4:07 PM Post #342 of 448
Just took the plunge on the Plenue R to a/b against the ZX300 with my Solaris to decide which one to keep. Has anyone else compared the two? The ZX300 sounds amazing but hisses a little more than I am comfy with with some songs on Solaris.

Apr 9, 2019 at 11:26 AM Post #343 of 448
Can anyone comment on the bass response with this DAP with IEMs? I've heard some say it was lacking but I suspect that it was because they were using bigger cans that may have needed more power.

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:29 AM Post #344 of 448
Can anyone comment on the bass response with this DAP with IEMs? I've heard some say it was lacking but I suspect that it was because they were using bigger cans that may have needed more power.

Hi @Rockwell75,

The bass response for the Plenue R depends on several factors listed in no particular order :

- Your personal preference &/expectation for Bass Response (Consumer Vs Pro Bass Response)
- Your Hearing & Ear Shape, even head shape may be a factor
- Source & Recording Quality
- Head Gear used
- Sound & Volume Levels

From a general standpoint, PR certainly doesn't have the same 'impact' in bass or sound levels for that matter when compared to something like the Plenue D or even Plenue D 2 but on its own.
Depending on source &/or recording quality, from personal experience, from 60 db up, bass & sound levels are more than enough, of course, your mileage will vary & whether you use Cowon's Jet Effect.
Either way, it all depends on you.

Subjectively & personally, I am not a fan of EQ systems nor do I use it as a general rule but I do like the 3 db lift across the frequency response BBE Headphone adds to what I listen to.

Hope this make sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Apr 10, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #345 of 448
Hi @Rockwell75,

The bass response for the Plenue R depends on several factors listed in no particular order :

- Your personal preference &/expectation for Bass Response (Consumer Vs Pro Bass Response)
- Your Hearing & Ear Shape, even head shape may be a factor
- Source & Recording Quality
- Head Gear used
- Sound & Volume Levels

From a general standpoint, PR certainly doesn't have the same 'impact' in bass or sound levels for that matter when compared to something like the Plenue D or even Plenue D 2 but on its own.
Depending on source &/or recording quality, from personal experience, from 60 db up, bass & sound levels are more than enough, of course, your mileage will vary & whether you use Cowon's Jet Effect.
Either way, it all depends on you.

Subjectively & personally, I am not a fan of EQ systems nor do I use it as a general rule but I do like the 3 db lift across the frequency response BBE Headphone adds to what I listen to.

Hope this make sense.

Hope you have a great day !

Yes it does...thank-you for responding :) That's kind of what I figured-- a big lure to this player was its capacity for EQ/sound manipulation, and I figure that if I'm not happy with any element I can just adjust it until I am. I have heard lots of great things about the "Cowan sound" get the sense they're something of the hidden gems of the DAP world for those who prize sound quality above all. Stoked to hook up the PR to my Solaris!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back