Cowon Plenue P1
Mar 30, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #2,911 of 2,974
Hello,

I know this may be somewhat of a necro, but it would be very helpful if someone could confirm if the usb DAC capability of the P1 on Windows PC has a latency/delay between video and audio.
When used as a usb DAC, does the sound output at the exact moment the ball hits the zero in this video?
In comparison with the speaker system connected to the computer on Windows, the DAC has a slight delay in synchronization. Approximately when the red spot begins to disappear, the sound goes, to the acoustics the signal goes when a red spot appears. Firmware old 2.11 is possible on new better.

Mar 30, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #2,912 of 2,974
In comparison with the speaker system connected to the computer on Windows, the DAC has a slight delay in synchronization. Approximately when the red spot begins to disappear, the sound goes, to the acoustics the signal goes when a red spot appears. Firmware old 2.11 is possible on new better.

Hello, thanks for the reply! Do you mean that the 2.11 firmware has lower delay?

Thanks!

Hi guys. I decided to ask the respected community. Just do not shower tomatoes. I understand the whole strangeness of the question.
I am plagued by vague doubts about the purchase LPG. I want to know your opinion.
I have Cowon p1 for 300$+- I can(want) buy for 1000$+-
Is the game worth the candle? If not yet in stock matching headphones.
Or do not fall into audiophilia?:k701smile:
Thanks!

In regards to your question about getting the LPG, I feel that money spent on upgrading your headphones or speakers gives you much better value than spending it on a DAP unless you absolutely need a feature that DAP provides.

Mar 30, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #2,913 of 2,974
Do you mean that the 2.11 firmware has lower delay?
I just reported my current firmware version. But maybe if you have more distraction on a newer firmware version then yes. The delay is, but in my opinion not very. Perhaps on new versions of the firmware the delay will be less, more or the same as the most likely. As my update will be checked and if there are changes I will write. When I turned on the video you recommended, the delay was huge, the sound was at the very peak of the ball's take-off, but by turning the video off and on again, everything was normalized to the remark I described. And what firmware do you have?
Thanks for your feedback on LPG.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #2,914 of 2,974
I just reported my current firmware version. But maybe if you have more distraction on a newer firmware version then yes. The delay is, but in my opinion not very. Perhaps on new versions of the firmware the delay will be less, more or the same as the most likely. As my update will be checked and if there are changes I will write. When I turned on the video you recommended, the delay was huge, the sound was at the very peak of the ball's take-off, but by turning the video off and on again, everything was normalized to the remark I described. And what firmware do you have?
Thanks for your feedback on LPG.
I'm on the latest 2.30 and have the delay to be quite small, but I think it's still there. Might just be my imagination, though. Anyways, if you're looking to get the Lotoo PAW Gold just for an increase in audio quality, I believe that money would be much better spent elsewhere.

Apr 20, 2019 at 5:22 PM Post #2,915 of 2,974
Yup, make sure you have the latest firmware from http://www.cowonglobal.com/

Then do this (grabbed from Cowon's website):

1) USB DAC functionality
- With USB DAC functionality, users can use PLENUE 1 as an external sound card. Users can listen to music
from a PC through PLENUE 1’s earphone socket.
- Please select ‘MSC/DAC’ and ‘USB DAC pop-up when USB is connected’ at Settings/System/USB Mode.
USB DAC will be connected automatically under this condition.
- Users can adjust the volume by using volume buttons (+, -) of PLENUE 1 when USB DAC is connected.
- Output: 16bit/44.1~192kHz, 24bit/44.1~96kHz
- Recommended OS: Windows 7/8/8.1 (PLENUE 1 might not work optimally under Windows XP or below).
- How to set the PC
* For Windows 7/8/8.1 :
Go to Settings ▶ Hardware & Sound ▶ Audio Devices ▶ Choose [Default Settings] of COWON PLENUE 1 DAC
▶ Change to 24bit, 96000Hz at [Attributes]▶[Advanced]
* For MAC OS X : System Preferences ▶ Sound ▶ Output ▶ Choose "COWON PLENUE 1 DAC"
Hey can someone tell me if I can use it in my car? - would connect thru USB like an iPod

Mar 7, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #2,917 of 2,974
When I tested the 400gb SanDisk card in the P1, all (> 20K) tracks appeared and it still scanned as quick as always.
Not a single issue...

Has anyone tried 512GB microSDXC cards? Does the P1 play all files?

By the way: skins are still available here (it seems that skins for Plenue M work for the P1 too):
http://support.cowon.com/v2_board.php?id=PDS_UCI&search_type=&search_keyword=&category=94
http://support.cowon.com/v2_board.php?id=PDS_UCI&search_type=&search_keyword=&category=95

Apr 10, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #2,918 of 2,974
To answer my own question above I did some research to find out:

I put an empty 512GB card into the P1 and the player recognizes all storage correctly (showing 471 916 MB available). When puttig a few files/folders on the card they are shown and played back correctly.

Filling the card almost full (~80 000 files/6 000 folders) results in infinite database updating. I left it updating for more than 1,5 hours and then resetted it. This is no surprise because the manual says:
The maximum number of files and folders that can be recognized by the product: 70,000 + 70,000 (microSD)

I submitted a question to the Cowon Q&A board about this. The answer was:
Sorry for your inconvenience. However the storage capacity of Plenue 1 can only be extended upto 328GB. That is by adding 200GB microSD card to the existing internal memory of 128GB.

Then I reformatted the card and startes filling it piece by piece. For my mp3 collection (mixed bitrates, no artwork, max. 50 files in one folder) I reached 161GB consisting of 32 308 files and 2090 folders as the limit, where the database couldn't be created anymore. This is far from 200GB and 70 000 files/folders and I wonder why.

Conclusion: The P1 is not able to hold my entire music library.

Can somebody share his/her experiences?

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #2,919 of 2,974
To answer my own question above I did some research to find out:

I put an empty 512GB card into the P1 and the player recognizes all storage correctly (showing 471 916 MB available). When puttig a few files/folders on the card they are shown and played back correctly.

Filling the card almost full (~80 000 files/6 000 folders) results in infinite database updating. I left it updating for more than 1,5 hours and then resetted it. This is no surprise because the manual says:

I submitted a question to the Cowon Q&A board about this. The answer was:

Then I reformatted the card and startes filling it piece by piece. For my mp3 collection (mixed bitrates, no artwork, max. 50 files in one folder) I reached 161GB consisting of 32 308 files and 2090 folders as the limit, where the database couldn't be created anymore. This is far from 200GB and 70 000 files/folders and I wonder why.

Conclusion: The P1 is not able to hold my entire music library.

Can somebody share his/her experiences?
Weird , I was worried this would happen with my four Cowon daps. I put a 400 gig sd card in my: PM2 , PS and PL daps and all are working well. The 400 gig sd card is filled up to 320 gigs and internal memory is 90% filled.

Apr 10, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #2,920 of 2,974
Weird , I was worried this would happen with my four Cowon daps. I put a 400 gig sd card in my: PM2 , PS and PL daps and all are working well. The 400 gig sd card is filled up to 320 gigs and internal memory is 90% filled.
Yeah, I am also wondering, why this is the case. My findings, the official statements and documentation are contradictory.

Maybe the your players have different specifications regarding file/folder limit. I am happy for you that all works well.

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #2,921 of 2,974
Hi guys,

I bought this a few years ago and still love it. I have recently bought some Mr Speakers mad dogs (I know but iv always wanted them!) & I feel like the P1 kinda drives it ok but it's not quite there. I'm thinking of getting a desktop / portable amp to hook the P1 up to. Looking at this thread, there seems to be an issue with the "line out" where it's not actually a line out & there is distortion at vol 140. I love the sound of the P1 & have found the ifi xdsd / xcan to kind of fit the bill. With xcan, line out is required. With xdsd, my P1 becomes a transport and nothing more. Is there still a problem with line out on the latest firmware?

If so, can anyone recommend a good desktop / portable amp or desktop / portable amp dac? Im from the UK if that helps. People have spoken about Schiit. Is that still a good option in 2020?

Thanks guys :)

Jun 13, 2020 at 2:54 PM Post #2,922 of 2,974
Hi guys,

I bought this a few years ago and still love it. I have recently bought some Mr Speakers mad dogs (I know but iv always wanted them!) & I feel like the P1 kinda drives it ok but it's not quite there. I'm thinking of getting a desktop / portable amp to hook the P1 up to. Looking at this thread, there seems to be an issue with the "line out" where it's not actually a line out & there is distortion at vol 140. I love the sound of the P1 & have found the ifi xdsd / xcan to kind of fit the bill. With xcan, line out is required. With xdsd, my P1 becomes a transport and nothing more. Is there still a problem with line out on the latest firmware?

If so, can anyone recommend a good desktop / portable amp or desktop / portable amp dac? Im from the UK if that helps. People have spoken about Schiit. Is that still a good option in 2020?

Easy , Romi Audio based in Hong Kong. They have an portable 5 watt class A amp. Total upgrade.

Jun 16, 2020 at 3:17 AM Post #2,923 of 2,974
Hi guys,

The lineout has been an issue since day one - the better option is, as you suggested with the xdcd, to use the optical out and just use the P1 as a transport. This is what I do running into the P1 into a Naim Dac-V1 driving the Mad dogs successor, the Aeon Closed. Works well and if you want you can still switch the dsp settings on and off.
The problem is going to be the Mad Dogs - they require a lot of grunt to drive properly. If you want to go down this path, then something like the Mojo may suit If you want portable alternately the small Schiit stack or a small Fostex may be fine for a desktop. I’m assuming you don’t want to spend too much. Audition is really recommended...

regards,
Giles

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:56 AM Post #2,924 of 2,974
Oh the other thing with the P1 lending itself to a desktop setup is that the battery life has a tendancy to drop off a cliff after a period. After many years of service, i get maybe 3 hours use before the darling goes dead - down from 10 in its prime. Its now tethered to power point. Something to think about...

Jun 16, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #2,925 of 2,974
Oh the other thing with the P1 lending itself to a desktop setup is that the battery life has a tendancy to drop off a cliff after a period. After many years of service, i get maybe 3 hours use before the darling goes dead - down from 10 in its prime. Its now tethered to power point. Something to think about...
20191024_174707.jpg

PM2 and added a battery pack. Getting 20 hrs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back