Cowon Plenue P1
Aug 24, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #2,765 of 2,974
@AndrewPL - Thanks for the heads-up, and thanks to Cowon for supporting this player long after they "have to". This kind of support goes a long way, and has earned a loyal customer in me. I am proud to support companies that stand behind their gear.
no problem :) Cowon is my fav company in portable audio, I've noticed that they released a new firmware for Plenue M as well so they do care for users with older devices :)

Oct 2, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #2,766 of 2,974
Hello guys, can anyone tell me regarding (plenue 1 vs fiio X5III) , is there difference in sonics and sound quality between the two? which is a little brighter or have a better detail retrieval (even if its slight difference)? (with no EQing and all on flat default settings) , i am really torn between the two and i can't test any of them since in my country there is no store that sells HIFI players.
my favorite music genre is Metal/Rock , using Flac files , also i am not a bass head or a treble head (you can say i like mids or vocals to shine more :) ) but of course i like good bass.

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #2,767 of 2,974
Hello guys, can anyone tell me regarding (plenue 1 vs fiio X5III) , is there difference in sonics and sound quality between the two? which is a little brighter or have a better detail retrieval (even if its slight difference)? (with no EQing and all on flat default settings) , i am really torn between the two and i can't test any of them since in my country there is no store that sells HIFI players.
my favorite music genre is Metal/Rock , using Flac files , also i am not a bass head or a treble head (you can say i like mids or vocals to shine more :) ) but of course i like good bass.

You realise that asking this question on a Plenue 1 topic will only lead to one response. I'll try to be as neutral as possible but realistically the P1 is significantly better as a music replay device - it sounds better, has a fantastic eq function and can drive most headphones. The benefits of the Fiio relate to its wifi and bluetooth capabilities ( and storage if you're into that sort of thing). The Fiio ui is primitive compared to the Cowon - really combersome and not at all intuitive, its card reading and start-up processes are much slower.

As I said at the beginning, what other response would you expect on this topic page...

Regards,

Giles

Oct 2, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #2,768 of 2,974

At 399 cowon plenue 1 is the best deal and best device if you care about sound quality and storage.
Plus i have not seen better EQ in any other device as the BBE system from cowon.

The plenue 1 is a premium device from late 2014, the packaging, the finish and leather case are great, and while it lacks bluetooth, wifi streaming, it has a great UI and premium sound, while this device is 3 years old it has 1 of the better dacs ever....plus It has 128Gb internal memory + 1 MIcro SD slot.
This Device used to have a MSRP of 1249 USD and used to cost 1-2 months ago $699, just a few weeks ago is on sale at 399 due the release of cowon plenue 2.

The Fiio X5 Mark III is a mid tier newer device from early 2016 with only 32Gb, his real cowon competitor is the Cowon Plenue D, it has bluetooth and wifi streaming which the plenue 1 lacks.
This device has been always on 399 and the UI is so so.
Sound Quality is good but not in par vs Plenue.

So... if you decide to buy the plenue 1, remember to update it to last firmware release.
UI > P1
Sound Quality > PI
EQ > PI
Storage > P1
wifi Streaming > X5
Bluetooth > X5
Premium Feel > P1

Oct 3, 2017 at 3:20 AM Post #2,769 of 2,974
You realise that asking this question on a Plenue 1 topic will only lead to one response. I'll try to be as neutral as possible but realistically the P1 is significantly better as a music replay device - it sounds better, has a fantastic eq function and can drive most headphones. The benefits of the Fiio relate to its wifi and bluetooth capabilities ( and storage if you're into that sort of thing). The Fiio ui is primitive compared to the Cowon - really combersome and not at all intuitive, its card reading and start-up processes are much slower.

As I said at the beginning, what other response would you expect on this topic page...

Regards,

Giles

Thanks for your response since i already have the Plenue D (which i love and its default audio without EQ is way better than my dragonfly black dac and my note 5, but the problem is more than 50% of the effects in bbe and presets feels artificial , even it don't distort the sound like other players ). since the most important aspect of audio to me is the instruments timber.
the only enhancements that don't feel artificial to me are the BBE , BBE mp but they make its sound thinner sacrificing the instruments timber .

For example, when i switch EQ from normal to BBE MP , it instant feels fun and the audio come to life but after short listening time when i turn back to normal i lose the added clarity and detail but i realize that the sound gained its real timbre back (instruments and drums feel more realistic). i realized how thinner that audio was with the BBE or any other BBE related enhancement .

now that you mentioned that Plenue D is competitor to Fiio x5III i am now more inclined towards Plenue 1 :)

The question here is activation BBE enchantment on Plenue 1 make the audio thinner or lose timber too? (i already know that the plenue 1 will be superior sound to the D ofc)

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2017 at 6:29 PM Post #2,771 of 2,974
Oct 4, 2017 at 5:46 PM Post #2,772 of 2,974

I was considering the x5iii when it came out to replace my P1. Did several side by side listening with the P1 and Fiio. The Fiio is loaded with far more features, but I must like the Burr Brown chip in the P1 as it still bests other well-regarded players to my ears. The JetEffect is fantastic as well. If the $399 price tag Andrew mentioned is true, that is one of the best values out there right now. 128gb, plus a 256gb mSD brings lots of goodness to your ears.

Oct 6, 2017 at 3:35 AM Post #2,773 of 2,974
Jumped on this deal on Amazon even with import duty to the UK it is a great deal,had just bought the Fiiox5iii but disappointed,sound is ok but very sluggish when connected to wifi and using spotify ect.Hopefully the sq on the cowan will trump it.

Oct 6, 2017 at 8:08 PM Post #2,775 of 2,974
This price drop is very tempting. I am a Cowon fanboy and been rocking the Plenue D for the past year. I listen through my Custom IEMs exclusively. What tempts me with the P1 is JetEffects 7 ( as opposed to 5), but what deters me is the battery life when compared to D. Anyone owning both care to chime in? Is the P1 a lot better sounding than the D?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back