Cowon Plenue P1
Jul 23, 2017 at 12:06 AM Post #2,746 of 2,974
Good news. It's interesting how this is happening to some and not others? My update went without a hitch, but good that there is a easy solution. I wonder if it's a temp file or a cached update from the previous install that is doing this and a reboot clears it. Either way it's good that nothing is ruined or gets bricked. Iv'e read how on other players updates wreak havoc. Cowon has never been that way. Very good clean track record, at least for me.

I didn't mean with the firmware update process itself. That has always been perfect with zero glitches. It was some time days later using it, on one instance there was no sound. So I restarted it an it was fine. It's weird tho how it would work fine for a few days and then one out of at least a couple dozen start ups there's no sound. Hasn't happened since either.

Jul 23, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #2,747 of 2,974
Good news. It's interesting how this is happening to some and not others? My update went without a hitch, but good that there is a easy solution. I wonder if it's a temp file or a cached update from the previous install that is doing this and a reboot clears it. Either way it's good that nothing is ruined or gets bricked. Iv'e read how on other players updates wreak havoc. Cowon has never been that way. Very good clean track record, at least for me.
It really is random - since the latest firmware it has happened all of twice, and a reboot fixes it. Since it is so sporadic, its hard to say what i did before or during use that might have possibly caused it...

Jul 23, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #2,748 of 2,974
It really is random - since the latest firmware it has happened all of twice, and a reboot fixes it. Since it is so sporadic, its hard to say what i did before or during use that might have possibly caused it...

It seems very likely that it is the recent firmware update, as that was the nexus of any issue for me. Again, it has been so infrequent that it doesn't matter to reboot to me.

Jul 26, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #2,750 of 2,974
I received the P2 yesterday and immediately compared it to the P1 with Campfire Andromeda. Good news and bad news; depends how you look at it.

Settings on Both:
1. DAC filters set on: Slow since P1 does not have Super Slow like P2.
2. Volume matched; at listened at different levels from 90 to 116 with different music; Pop/Rock/Reggae/Vocals etc.
3. EQ/BBE/MP Off on both, all DSP turned off.
4. Single ended (SE) out used.
5. Set on earphone mode.
6. P1 owned for 2 years - Well broken in over 400+ hours. P2 fresh out of the box.
7. P1 Update V 2.20 latest at this time of post.
8. P2 Update V 1.11 latest at this time of post.

The Good:
- The P2 is not a HUGE difference from the P1.
- P2's major difference is two things, 1. It's sound stage is definitely wider and the midrange is definitely more forward about +2 to +3db more than the P1.
- You can get the same effect with EQ from the P1 to make the midrange forward sounding like the P2.
- Highs and lows are very closely sounding, nothing major noticed.
- Both sound smooth. P2 kind of still sounds like Burr Brown but tad more refined. P2 is musical and never tiring to listen to just like the P1. P2 maybe less analog sounding, maybe tad more realistic.
- Both act and behave the same loading etc - not surprising and that is good and welcome. Only major difference is the horizontal album browsing is pretty sensitive. Nothing like the P1. P1 was just perfect. The P2 you tilt 20-30 degrees and you are in horizontal album view. Hopefully an update will desensitize that setting. You can turn this off but I like to use it as it shows the album's larger than in any other view and you can quickly scroll thought it to find music.
- I don't feel like anything major is missing in details.
- The multi wheel is super handy though. Can be used for quick volume adjustments or switching different EQ presets.
- The P2 does give and have more ways to control playing music with the multi wheel which is awesome.
- Maybe the pairing with the Andromeda was not ideal. If you have an IEM that likes below .6 Ohm the P2 on SE is perfect.
- Plays while charging and NO noise while charging. P1 was the same.
- The text is larger to read on the EQ settings. I strained to read them on the P1.
- If you don't like EQ the P2 does sound better mids and width/sound stage.
- The P2's AKM DAC plays better with the Cowon's DSP and EQ as it does not sound as processed at higher values/settings like the P1. ie: BBE on 10 on the P1 does expand the sound but add sibilance big time as does the MP Enhance.
- Additional touch settable multi button. Not the wheel but on the screen at the bottom- very handy.
- The best is that this was all done on SE connection. I will be getting a balanced cable and see if that is where the P2 can set itself apart from the P1 (hopefully).

The Bad (?):
- If you have mid forward IEM's or headphones the P2 maybe a touch too thick/forward sounding in the midrange? Some may like this some may not.
- The DAC filters do not seem to make a HUGE difference as one would think. It's extremely hard to tell the difference if any between Super Slow and Sharp on 24bit FLAC. Maybe a dog or on higher resolution DSD it maybe more noticeable, but didn't test as most of my audio are CD rips.
- It would of been nice if the DAC filters had a more pronounced effect at different bitrates you can select?
- The screen resolution on the P2 is the same as the P1.
- If you like EQ you can make the P1 sound like the P2 midrange wise, but will need the DSP effects to get the same sound stage/width and it may sound too artificial and or processed.
- Maybe the pairing with the Andromeda was not ideal as on SE as the .6 Ohm is too low? The Andromeda is known to like and prefer 1 Ohm. If you have an IEM that likes below .6 Ohm the P2 on SE is perfect.

I will report more once I get the balanced cable for my Andromeda. Should you buy the P2 if you have the P1? If you are new to Cowon the P2 is a great place to start, money no object. It's not a blow your socks off difference though. It's subtle and for many I would recommend better IEM's if you already have a P1, money better invested and more gained I feel. If you don't have a P1 then getting one that is cheaper now, is a bargain. If you like the latest and greatest and money is no issue and you like more controls and features, a larger sound stage and mid forward, the P2 is great. Will I keep it? Yes.

Update 8/2/2017:

I can't tell which is the culprit but in using the combination of the SE on the P2 and the balanced Litz with the Andromeda it's a match made in heaven. I can't fathom audio sounding more full and realistic and 3-D like. Vocals are less harsh and fell like at times their positions are nose to nose with you and they are singing directly at you. Creepy and amazing at the same time. Instruments and musical artifacts and special effects are all detectable and can be pinpointed in their location in this imaginary field. Sibilance (if and when present due to the track recording not the P2) is not as prevalent and less harsh and a bit smother. Even poorly recorded songs have a new "sound" to them making them sound more realistic and forward and less harsh. I'm not sure which is contributing more to all this, the Cowon P2 using balanced mode or the Andromeda with a balanced cable but both play extremely well together and now all songs have a new life and effect to them.

Hope that helps.

Update 8/2/2017:

I can't tell which is the culprit but in using the combination of the balanced out on the P2 and the balanced Litz with the Andromeda it's a match made in heaven. I can't fathom audio sounding more full and realistic and 3-D like. Vocals are less harsh and fell like at times their positions are nose to nose with you and they are singing directly at you. Creepy and amazing at the same time. Instruments and musical artifacts and special effects are all detectable and can be pinpointed in their location in this imaginary field. Sibilance (if and when present due to the track recording not the P2) is not as prevalent and less harsh and a bit smother. Even poorly recorded songs have a new "sound" to them making them sound more realistic and forward and less harsh. I'm not sure which is contributing more to all this, the Cowon P2 using balanced mode or the Andromeda with a balanced cable but both play extremely well together and now all songs have a new life and effect to them.

All genre of music is now much more full and wide(r) and way much more addictive and realistic to listen to. I never thought balanced makes THAT much of a difference but apparently is does and it's a pretty drastic effect. It's almost like having a new audio tuning function of a setting like Width/BBE of 1 to 20 and it's set on 15.

This makes, at least for me want to put the P1 away which I have. Sigh, but is ok. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #2,751 of 2,974
Very useful comparison, thanks.
If only they had increased P2 capacity, it would be a no-brainer, but I refuse to pay over 1000$ for 128Gb + 1slot..

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 8:00 PM Post #2,752 of 2,974
Very useful comparison, thanks.
If only they had increase P2 capacity, it would be a no-brainer, but I refuse to pay over 1000$ for 128Gb + 1slot..

Welcome. I don't blame you nor will others. If you like Cowon DAP's the P1 is a better deal as of now for the price. :relaxed:

Update 8/2/2017:

I can't tell which is the culprit but in using the combination of the balanced out on the P2 and the balanced Litz with the Andromeda it's a match made in heaven. I can't fathom audio sounding more full and realistic and 3-D like. Vocals are less harsh and fell like at times their positions are nose to nose with you and they are singing directly at you. Creepy and amazing at the same time. Instruments and musical artifacts and special effects are all detectable and can be pinpointed in their location in this imaginary field. Sibilance (if and when present due to the track recording not the P2) is not as prevalent and less harsh and a bit smother. Even poorly recorded songs have a new "sound" to them making them sound more realistic and forward and less harsh. I'm not sure which is contributing more to all this, the Cowon P2 using balanced mode or the Andromeda with a balanced cable but both play extremely well together and now all songs have a new life and effect to them.

All genre of music is now much more full and wide(r) and way much more addictive and realistic to listen to. I never thought balanced makes THAT much of a difference but apparently is does and it's a pretty drastic effect. It's almost like having a new audio tuning function of a setting like Width/BBE of 1 to 20 and it's set on 15.

This makes, at least for me want to put the P1 away which I have. For everyone else if you are only using and or have SE headphones or IEM's the P1 is great steal I still feel. If you have or want to go balanced, the P2 is where it's at. :relaxed: The balanced alone is what was enough of a drastic change to say good bye to the P1.

Update: The P2 with more usage 5 hours last night overall 10 hours so far; I find it's extracting more and more out of music that I've owned for years. It's ability to separate, present, and layer instruments and people's voices and artifacts keeps getting better and better. The most amazing is how it extracts artifacts that were always there but masked and the takes that one further and layers and positions it in such a way that it sound so very realistic. Just amazing.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #2,755 of 2,974
Sorry i did a misstake was looking at Cowon Z2 , think cowon left android marked long ago
is still Cowon plenue 1 worth considering over Cowon Plenue M2 being the price is still high?
i dont like the design of plenue 2 for me too big.

Aug 20, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #2,757 of 2,974
Thanks, im waiting how Plenue R going to be
I wish there was a Youtube video of Plenue M2 but there is none

Do you know if the second analouge control wheels on top (not volume but the Eq wheel(
can set function to browse song list up and down instead of EQ.
The analogue control wheels are customized and can be set to different function?

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #2,758 of 2,974
Thanks, im waiting how Plenue R going to be
I wish there was a Youtube video of Plenue M2 but there is none

Do you know if the second analouge control wheels on top (not volume but the Eq wheel(
can set function to browse song list up and down instead of EQ.
The analogue control wheels are customized and can be set to different function?

Yes you can set the multiwheel for the next or previous song on the P2 is that is what you are asking? You can do all these:

Buttons - multi Wheel
1. DAC filter rolloff
You can adjust the sound by changing
the filter type of the DAC.

2. JetEffect
Turn the Multi Wheel to select a
JetEffect 7 preset.

3. PREV / NEXT
Turn the Multi Wheel to select the
previous / next song.

* You can customize the function of the Multi Wheel from ‘Settings ► System ► Multi Wheel’.
* Note that the Multi Wheel does not function when the screen is turned off.
* The selected preset, song, or playback position will be applied when the Multi Wheel is stopped.

You can also set the Menu Multi button:

Touch the Multi Button to quickly navigate to the playback, playlist,
settings, or volume control screens.

All super handy features.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #2,759 of 2,974
I received the P2 yesterday and immediately compared it to the P1 with Campfire Andromeda. Good news and bad news; depends how you look at it.

The Good:
- The P2 is not a HUGE difference from the P1.
- P2's major difference is two things, 1. It's sound stage is definitely wider and the midrange is definitely more forward about +2 to +3db more than the P1.
- You can get the same effect with EQ from the P1 to make the midrange forward sounding like the P2.
- Highs and lows are very closely sounding, nothing major noticed.
- Both sound smooth. P2 kind of still sounds like Burr Brown but tad more refined. P2 is musical and never tiring to listen to just like the P1. P2 maybe less analog sounding, maybe tad more realistic.
- Both act and behave the same loading etc - not surprising and that is good and welcome. Only major difference is the horizontal album browsing is pretty sensitive. Nothing like the P1. P1 was just perfect. The P2 you tilt 20-30 degrees and you are in horizontal album view. Hopefully an update will desensitize that setting. You can turn this off but I like to use it as it shows the album's larger than in any other view and you can quickly scroll thought it to find music.
- I don't feel like anything major is missing in details.
- The multi wheel is super handy though. Can be used for quick volume adjustments or switching different EQ presets.
- The P2 does give and have more ways to control playing music with the multi wheel which is awesome.
- Maybe the pairing with the Andromeda was not ideal. If you have an IEM that likes below .6 Ohm the P2 on SE is perfect.
- Plays while charging and NO noise while charging. P1 was the same.
- The text is larger to read on the EQ settings. I strained to read them on the P1.
- If you don't like EQ the P2 does sound better mids and width/sound stage.
- The P2's AKM DAC plays better with the Cowon's DSP and EQ as it does not sound as processed at higher values/settings like the P1. ie: BBE on 10 on the P1 does expand the sound but add sibilance big time as does the MP Enhance.
- Additional touch settable multi button. Not the wheel but on the screen at the bottom- very handy.
- The best is that this was all done on SE connection. I will be getting a balanced cable and see if that is where the P2 can set itself apart from the P1 (hopefully).

The Bad (?):
- If you have mid forward IEM's or headphones the P2 maybe a touch too thick/forward sounding in the midrange? Some may like this some may not.
- The DAC filters do not seem to make a HUGE difference as one would think. It's extremely hard to tell the difference if any between Super Slow and Sharp on 24bit FLAC. Maybe a dog or on higher resolution DSD it maybe more noticeable, but didn't test as most of my audio are CD rips.
- It would of been nice if the DAC filters had a more pronounced effect at different bitrates you can select?
- The screen resolution on the P2 is the same as the P1.
- If you like EQ you can make the P1 sound like the P2 midrange wise, but will need the DSP effects to get the same sound stage/width and it may sound too artificial and or processed.
- Maybe the pairing with the Andromeda was not ideal as on SE as the .6 Ohm is too low? The Andromeda is known to like and prefer 1 Ohm. If you have an IEM that likes below .6 Ohm the P2 on SE is perfect.

This makes, at least for me want to put the P1 away which I have. Sigh, but is ok. :relaxed:

Thanks for your review, i always liked cowon, so i just pulled the trigger! due your review, finally i can upgrade from S9 to Plenue 1.
Hard to justify the P2 when amazon/jetaudio has the P1 on 399.

Aug 24, 2017 at 5:58 AM Post #2,760 of 2,974
New firmware up Ver. 2.21

-Playing on the screen, add the touch: playlist song title output
-Changing the way the lyrics and album information display (when the lyrics icon touch lyrics)
-Play after boot on and off: fixed doesn't sound
-Fixed some FLAC files from abnormal playback

Users who are viewing this thread

Back