Cowon Plenue P1
Jul 7, 2017 at 12:53 PM Post #2,731 of 2,974
Yeah, that description comes pretty close (although ZXR provides even more details) imo. Luckily there are quite some Andro reviews out there, but you probably already checked them out.
Btw, I also think Andro has very good low for a BA.

The ZXR is way past my budget. I'm seeing the Hermes VI same price range and wonder how it would compare to the Andromeda. I have a head ache now.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #2,732 of 2,974
Just had a horrible scare. Got my P1 out after not using it for a few months and upgraded the firmware to 2.20. Plugged in my EE Zeus XIV-R customs and hit play. Awful loud scratching in time with the bass. Tried HD700 headphones and it was still there (huge relief - not the XIV). Tried a few Jet Effect settings for fun - noise still present on all settings except Club and Hip Hop. Tried a reboot and all is back to normal. Very Weird.

Jul 7, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #2,734 of 2,974
Just had a horrible scare. Got my P1 out after not using it for a few months and upgraded the firmware to 2.20. Plugged in my EE Zeus XIV-R customs and hit play. Awful loud scratching in time with the bass. Tried HD700 headphones and it was still there (huge relief - not the XIV). Tried a few Jet Effect settings for fun - noise still present on all settings except Club and Hip Hop. Tried a reboot and all is back to normal. Very Weird.

I've had the same happen to mine a few times.
Today i had no sound at all, but was cured by a reboot.

Jul 7, 2017 at 6:46 PM Post #2,736 of 2,974
It is normal, your P1 got upset of your lack of attention to it.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:43 PM Post #2,738 of 2,974
What is the optical cable to use on a SPDIF line in? Where to get one? I want to try the optical out of the P1 to connect to an IFi SPDIF coaxial in.

Thank you.
You do realize that an optical cable can only go into an optical input, coaxial cables and inputs are very different things. An optical cable will not feed a signal into a coaxial jack.There are the odd converter or two available, but i'd be loathe to use those. Which particular IFI product are you using?

If you are using optical to optical then something with a 3.5mm plug (or an adapter) for the P1 end should work well. DAC end will probably need to be a standard toslink termination. Your electronic shop of choice should stock sufficient options. I currently run a Celestra optical cable (cheap and cheerful at $23) from the P1 to a Naim Dac V-1 for work (closed IT system so music has to be on a discrete device). Works well - listening to it right now with a pair of HD650s as transducers.

regards,

Giles

Jul 12, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #2,739 of 2,974
You do realize that an optical cable can only go into an optical input, coaxial cables and inputs are very different things. An optical cable will not feed a signal into a coaxial jack.There are the odd converter or two available, but i'd be loathe to use those. Which particular IFI product are you using?

If you are using optical to optical then something with a 3.5mm plug (or an adapter) for the P1 end should work well. DAC end will probably need to be a standard toslink termination. Your electronic shop of choice should stock sufficient options. I currently run a Celestra optical cable (cheap and cheerful at $23) from the P1 to a Naim Dac V-1 for work (closed IT system so music has to be on a discrete device). Works well - listening to it right now with a pair of HD650s as transducers.

regards,

Giles

The P1 is stated to have an optical out so which is the mini 3.5mm TOSLINK. The Micro iDSD BL has an "intellegent SPDIF Coaxial" optical in via the Coax looking connection. It was confusing at first as it looks like a coaxial connection but inside the connection there is a digital line to accept a 3.5mm TOSLINK which I as not aware of and thought I needed a 3.5mm TOSLINK to a Coax connection. After doing some research would work. I figured it out that you don't need a TOSLINK to Coaxial type cable, instead just a 3.5mm TOSLINK to a 3.5mm TOSLINK and they will connect.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2017 at 7:24 PM Post #2,740 of 2,974
The P1 is stated to have an optical out so which is the mini 3.5mm TOSLINK. The Micro iDSD BL has an "intellegent SPDIF Coaxial" optical in via the Coax looking connection. It was confusing at first as it looks like a coaxial connection but inside the connection there is a digital line to accept a 3.5mm TOSLINK which I as not aware of and thought I needed a 3.5mm TOSLINK to a Coax connection. After doing some research would work. I figured it out that you don't need a TOSLINK to Coaxial type cable, instead just a 3.5mm TOSLINK to a 3.5mm TOSLINK and they will connect.

Thanks.
In that case the FIIO L12 - comes in both an 80cm and 7cm size with 3.5mm terminations at both ends - is probably right up your alley.

regards,

Giles

Jul 20, 2017 at 3:53 PM Post #2,742 of 2,974
Just got a P1, fantastic but have experienced no sound and distortion at music peaks which sounds like static crackle - as for others a reboot
sorts it out. Have these things always happened - before buying I read the whole thread and the glitches seem to have been a recent thing - does
there appearance coincide with the recent firmware update?

Jul 21, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #2,743 of 2,974
Just got a P1, fantastic but have experienced no sound and distortion at music peaks which sounds like static crackle - as for others a reboot
sorts it out. Have these things always happened - before buying I read the whole thread and the glitches seem to have been a recent thing - does
there appearance coincide with the recent firmware update?

If it's the update and not the player then go back to the previous version installed. If it's still doing it then it's the player not the update.

Jul 22, 2017 at 8:39 PM Post #2,744 of 2,974
I had an instance of no sound with the latest firmware, reboot fixed.

Jul 22, 2017 at 11:49 PM Post #2,745 of 2,974
I had an instance of no sound with the latest firmware, reboot fixed.

Good news. It's interesting how this is happening to some and not others? My update went without a hitch, but good that there is a easy solution. I wonder if it's a temp file or a cached update from the previous install that is doing this and a reboot clears it. Either way it's good that nothing is ruined or gets bricked. Iv'e read how on other players updates wreak havoc. Cowon has never been that way. Very good clean track record, at least for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back