Cowon PLENUE M2 (Current Firmware and Manual Links in 1st post)
May 29, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #406 of 545
I saw that too and was tempted to order but when I saw import fee deposit of $150 + $40 for shipping to India I dropped it. How much you paid total for it?
Paid total 426.31 USD for the M2 plus leather case (35 USD) plus shipping and import fees.

I’ll see how the import fee works out, might get some of that back as customs seem a bit random here as to whether you get charged fees, and if you do it’s 15% (the cost of GST) with a 50 NZD admin fee (about 35 USD).

May 29, 2019 at 5:25 PM Post #407 of 545
Paid total 426.31 USD for the M2 plus leather case (35 USD) plus shipping and import fees.

I’ll see how the import fee works out, might get some of that back as customs seem a bit random here as to whether you get charged fees, and if you do it’s 15% (the cost of GST) with a 50 NZD admin fee (about 35 USD).
Thanks, I will be waiting for your impressions.

Jun 4, 2019 at 9:56 PM Post #408 of 545
PM2 + case arrived yesterday. I upgraded the firmware and listened for an hour or two straight out of the box.

First thoughts:

It’s actually smaller than I expected. I guess I was thinking of the R, P2 and V (the most recent Plenues I’ve owned) but the M2 is actually a bit thinner - not much from specs but noticeable in the hand. Also based on photos I expected it to feel quite chunky and metallic but it’s more delicate in person.

Sound-wise (the most important feature!) this thing is great. I just kept listening and fell asleep with it, so I guess that’s love :wink: The bass doesn’t have the soft impact that left me wanting on the P2 mk II, it’s more natural. If I was really nitpicking I’d probably want my dream Plenue to be just a little punchier or harder in the bass - the V is probably a touch more aggressive down low - and perhaps also I’d wish for a touch more black space between instruments.

But these are small quibbles imagining my end-game DAP. I saw someone mention the M2 “purrs” along, and that seems like a great description: the music progresses and just feels right, nice stereo imaging, nice sense of emotion, building dynamics come across well, good balance across the spectrum and of course the expected flawless gapless and quick Cowon UI.

It isn’t the last word on resolution or separation but there’s plenty of nice little details audible to capture your mind every now and then. Also it has something I’ve come to feel is even more important, which is a sense of coherency - where it all adds up to convey the flow of the music well. I remember writing a review of an album once where I described an album as “nothing stands out on here”. It wasn’t an insult - the drums, guitar, vocals etc. all did their job without anything too flashy screaming “look at me, look at me”, and the result was an album where it all came together and the band as a whole ensemble sounded right. That’s kind of how I feel about the M2 so far. You can hear some nice little details and high or wide instruments in the soundstage but it doesn’t distract from the flow or feel of it all.

I wonder if there’ll be any perceptible changes in sound with burn-in, but even if not I can see plenty of happy times ahead with me and M2. Well played Cowon, well played.

Jun 4, 2019 at 10:28 PM Post #409 of 545
PM2 + case arrived yesterday. I upgraded the firmware and listened for an hour or two straight out of the box.

First thoughts:

It’s actually smaller than I expected. I guess I was thinking of the R, P2 and V (the most recent Plenues I’ve owned) but the M2 is actually a bit thinner - not much from specs but noticeable in the hand. Also based on photos I expected it to feel quite chunky and metallic but it’s more delicate in person.

Sound-wise (the most important feature!) this thing is great. I just kept listening and fell asleep with it, so I guess that’s love :wink: The bass doesn’t have the soft impact that left me wanting on the P2 mk II, it’s more natural. If I was really nitpicking I’d probably want my dream Plenue to be just a little punchier or harder in the bass - the V is probably a touch more aggressive down low - and perhaps also I’d wish for a touch more black space between instruments.

But these are small quibbles imagining my end-game DAP. I saw someone mention the M2 “purrs” along, and that seems like a great description: the music progresses and just feels right, nice stereo imaging, nice sense of emotion, building dynamics come across well, good balance across the spectrum and of course the expected flawless gapless and quick Cowon UI.

It isn’t the last word on resolution or separation but there’s plenty of nice little details audible to capture your mind every now and then. Also it has something I’ve come to feel is even more important, which is a sense of coherency - where it all adds up to convey the flow of the music well. I remember writing a review of an album once where I described an album as “nothing stands out on here”. It wasn’t an insult - the drums, guitar, vocals etc. all did their job without anything too flashy screaming “look at me, look at me”, and the result was an album where it all came together and the band as a whole ensemble sounded right. That’s kind of how I feel about the M2 so far. You can hear some nice little details and high or wide instruments in the soundstage but it doesn’t distract from the flow or feel of it all.

I wonder if there’ll be any perceptible changes in sound with burn-in, but even if not I can see plenty of happy times ahead with me and M2. Well played Cowon, well played.
Well written, yes its not perfect in any one area but it is a dap I usually want to use.

Jun 25, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #410 of 545

Any updates on burn in? I am also looking at the M2 - striving to listen to the Cowon sound,

Jun 25, 2019 at 10:19 PM Post #411 of 545
Any updates on burn in? I am also looking at the M2 - striving to listen to the Cowon sound,
I’ve been using it quite a lot over the last few weeks and in all honesty haven’t noticed any changes in the sound signature - still sounds the same to me!

I guess if you’re in Singapore there’ll be a retailer somewhere you could try a Cowon player in store before buying?

Jun 25, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #412 of 545
I’ve been using it quite a lot over the last few weeks and in all honesty haven’t noticed any changes in the sound signature - still sounds the same to me!

I guess if you’re in Singapore there’ll be a retailer somewhere you could try a Cowon player in store before buying?

As its quite an old dap, I am unable to find it anywhere for audition; shops are mainly flogging off the newer stuff. Better to glean off impressions here!

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:16 AM Post #413 of 545
As its quite an old dap, I am unable to find it anywhere for audition; shops are mainly flogging off the newer stuff. Better to glean off impressions here!
Ah right. Yeah the cheap price for an older player was a factor for me getting the PM2.

Personally, I’m hoping that Cowon will release another mid-priced player as their next Plenue. They had the R a few years ago, which also had balanced output and Bluetooth, but it was relatively underpowered (1.6 Vrms balanced and 1.4Vrms single-ended). The smaller D2 has higher power but with the downside of the smaller, lower resolution screen and slightly laggy interface. I’d love them to put out another mid-fi option of a R/PM2 sized player with more power but without the high prices of the L or P2 mk II. But who knows, whenever I guess what Cowon will do next, I’m wrong :wink:

Jun 26, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #414 of 545
Ah right. Yeah the cheap price for an older player was a factor for me getting the PM2.

Personally, I’m hoping that Cowon will release another mid-priced player as their next Plenue. They had the R a few years ago, which also had balanced output and Bluetooth, but it was relatively underpowered (1.6 Vrms balanced and 1.4Vrms single-ended). The smaller D2 has higher power but with the downside of the smaller, lower resolution screen and slightly laggy interface. I’d love them to put out another mid-fi option of a R/PM2 sized player with more power but without the high prices of the L or P2 mk II. But who knows, whenever I guess what Cowon will do next, I’m wrong :wink:

Hi Chris,
Is M2 able to drive HD6XX to a reasonable level and how is the pair up?

Jun 26, 2019 at 1:26 AM Post #415 of 545
Hi Chris,
Is M2 able to drive HD6XX to a reasonable level and how is the pair up?
Unfortunately I sold my pair of HD6XXs (may have to update my head-fi profile). I only have the HD58X, which has 150 ohm resistance instead of 300. It can handle those fine.

Jun 26, 2019 at 3:05 AM Post #416 of 545
Jul 4, 2019 at 6:33 AM Post #418 of 545
Two M2s
20190704_182255.jpg
20190704_182221.jpg
20190704_182236.jpg

Jul 6, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #419 of 545
I saw that too and was tempted to order but when I saw import fee deposit of $150 + $40 for shipping to India I dropped it. How much you paid total for it?
Just thought I’d update that I paid 75 USD for import fee deposit but got 15 back in refund as the actual fees were less. Obviously I’m not sure how it would work out for India.

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:04 PM Post #420 of 545
Just thought I’d update that I paid 75 USD for import fee deposit but got 15 back in refund as the actual fees were less. Obviously I’m not sure how it would work out for India.
Thank you.
I am actually thinking of getting it from a friend in US, he will be coming in two months. I am thinking if I should wait that long or get it now paying that import fees.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back