Cowon PLENUE M2 (Current Firmware and Manual Links in 1st post)
Nov 2, 2022 at 10:26 PM Post #542 of 545
Hi all, if anyone has PM or PM2 that they don't use for sale, let me know!
I have a new one , only used 8 times.

Feb 23, 2023 at 3:42 AM Post #544 of 545
The first Cowon Plenue M2+ :ksc75smile::L3000:

IMG_20190909_184116.jpg
IMG_20190909_222746.jpg
IMG_20190909_222713.jpg
I was always intrigued by this mod that Nayparm posted back some years ago. Towards the end of last year I decided to go ahead with it too, but with COVID problems it took until now to get hold a DAC chip and get it sorted. I found someone who was advertising Plenue 2 modifications and explained what I was after, and they did the chip swap this week - it's a one-to-one swap to change the PCM1975 to a PCM1972:
PM2 mod.jpg

I've been listening to it today. It's an interesting change. This is the 2nd time I've owned the PM2, so obviously I'm a fan :wink: but of course there's always that itch for improvement!

I found the PM2 had a great, slightly smooth, sound you could rock out to. But I could also tell there were details I was missing compared to other players, and sometimes certain elements like female vocals or more treble-y instruments could sound a tad unnatural. Having done the chip swap obviously I don't have a stock PM2 to do A-B comparisons, but given I've had it for some time I feel I can do a reasonable job from memory.

There's a noticeable improvement in detail with the PCM1972, and the overall treble performance is more natural, giving the sense of more resolution and transparency. Down low, the PM2 always felt a little emphasized in the bass, or mid-bass regions. Now it's lost that somewhat; the bass is a little less emphasized than before, but perhaps extends a bit lower. Overall perhaps a bit of a downside but easily adjusted with JetEffects.

In total it feels more revealing and transparent, and can probably be summed up as a bit more 'neutral' than before. I'm finding I prefer the slow roll-off filter, as the treble is a touch brighter or more forward overall than before. If I find a PM2 going cheap 2nd hand I might even pick up another unmodded version to compare it directly. I had a PS earlier but sold it last year, it would have been an interesting comparison too.

It's still pretty amazing that these Plenue DAPs are so useable, trouble-free and just keep cranking out good tunes. Even if I don't use it for a few weeks the battery keeps its charge, I can pick it up, switch it on, and within about 15 seconds it's ready to play tunes gaplessly with no fuss. They're like the Casio's of the audio world - a little bit dated and old school, but just keep going :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back