Cowon Plenue D
Dec 22, 2016 at 5:34 PM Post #3,796 of 4,944
What kind of formats do you guys usually upload onto your PD?

Most of my collection is in FLAC but I do have a couple of mp3's on here. I'm debating on converting all of my FLAC files into a lossy format in order to get the most out of the battery but am feeling rather lazy lately (I blame the holidays 
biggrin.gif
).

Dec 22, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #3,797 of 4,944
I have mostly FLAC (5,000) and about 200 AAC files.  For conversion from FLAC to lossy I would use dBpoweramp and do a batch convert, probably to around 256 or 320k AAC.   If you are feeling lazy, then the great thing about a tool like dBpoweramp's batch conversion is that it can take only a minute to set it up, and then you just let it run while you get on with other stuff.  It can fully utilise a multi-core processor as well.  For best performance, use different physical disk drives for the source files and destination folders.

Dec 23, 2016 at 11:41 PM Post #3,799 of 4,944
Has anyone gotten external playlists to work on this device?

By that I mean playlist files generated by some application on a computer attached to the player via usb.

I just got a Plenue D from Amazon ($199) -- love almost everything about it (sound signature, output, eq, battery life, price) but the playlist thing is a big issue.

Thanks

Dec 24, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #3,800 of 4,944
I've created playlists using MP3tag, I believe.

Edit: Yep, I just created a playlist with MP3tag to confirm.

What I do:
1) Connect micro SD card to computer via memory card reader (connecting the player via USB should work similarly)
2) Open micro SD card in Finder (I'm on Mac - Windows Explorer if you're on Windows)
3) Drag files into MP3tag
4) Files > Playlist
5) Browse to the location on your player/card where you want to save the playlist, name it, and then save it as a .m3u8 file. Once you save it to your player/card, you can't move it as it'll break the playlist. Another option is to save it to your desktop, then you can drag the playlist file anywhere to your player/card.

Dec 24, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #3,801 of 4,944
Thanks for the quick response.  I did get it to work, but only 'mostly'
redface.gif

The 'mostly' is that I can only get it to see tracks on the same device as the playlist.  That is, a playlist located in internal storage only shows tracks stored there.  Conversely a playlist stored on the card only shows tracks stored there.

I tried turning the 'use relative file locations' on and off -- didn't fix it.  When using relative locations, I get a file which has the following:

#EXTINF:195,Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology)
F:\cardMusic\Marvin Gaye\0208. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On  [1971]\06. Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology).mp3
#EXTINF:195,10,000 Maniacs - Trouble Me
Music\10,000 Maniacs\Trouble Me(00001).mp3

when the playlist is saved to internal storage, and this:

cardMusic\Marvin Gaye\0208. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On  [1971]\06. Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology).mp3
E:\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Trouble Me(00001).mp3

when the playlist is saved to the card, or this:

F:\cardMusic\Marvin Gaye\0208. Marvin Gaye - What's Going On  [1971]\06. Marvin Gaye - Mercy Mercy Me (The Ecology).mp3
E:\Music\10,000 Maniacs\Trouble Me(00001).mp3

when the playlist is saved to the c: drive. 

I suspect that your Mac saves these playlists with 'Fully Qualified Names' for the filespecs.  My problem is that I don't know the syntax for referring to the two devices in a file spec that will be recognized on the player.

Any chance you could look at a playlist that plays files from both internal and external storage on your device and post a couple of filespec examples (one that points to internal storage, and one that points to a track on the card) ?  You might have to turn 'relative file locations' off to get a complete example set. It's probable that when you save the playlist from mp3tag to your computer, the file specs are complete, not relative, no matter what.

BTW, unicode vs ASCII doesn't seem to matter (.m3u vs .m3u8), but 'write extended information' is required.

Thanks

Quote:
  I've created playlists using MP3tag, I believe.

Edit: Yep, I just created a playlist with MP3tag to confirm.

What I do:
1) Connect micro SD card to computer via memory card reader (connecting the player via USB should work similarly)
2) Open micro SD card in Finder (I'm on Mac - Windows Explorer if you're on Windows)
3) Drag files into MP3tag
4) Files > Playlist
5) Browse to the location on your player/card where you want to save the playlist, name it, and then save it as a .m3u8 file. Once you save it to your player/card, you can't move it as it'll break the playlist. Another option is to save it to your desktop, then you can drag the playlist file anywhere to your player/card.

Dec 25, 2016 at 2:34 AM Post #3,802 of 4,944
Somebody had asked about that same thing some time ago and I still haven't been able to figure it out. I'm going to try something tomorrow, but I have a feeling that it isn't possible to do that.

Dec 27, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #3,804 of 4,944
New firmware for Plenue D 1.17 on the official Cowon site

http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard/zboard.php?id=C08&page=1&sn1=&divpage=1&bmenu=support&sn=on&ss=off&sc=off&keyword=COWON&select_arrange=subject&bmenu=support&desc=desc&no=582&bmenu=support

:cool:

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #3,805 of 4,944
I have mostly mp3 and aac at 320 kbs.  I have A-B'd lossless and this bit rate lossy and can't tell the difference so I went with the longer battery life.  You may not get the advertised 100 hours but it is way over 50 with lossy files.  Exactly what I was hoping for in a portable player.

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,806 of 4,944
I haven't had a player where I need to manually update the firmware so I have a couple of questions:

It came with v1.1, do I have to update each subsequent version or can I go right to the newest?

Is there an update that I should install over the others?

Any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Dec 27, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #3,807 of 4,944
I haven't had a player where I need to manually update the firmware so I have a couple of questions:

It came with v1.1, do I have to update each subsequent version or can I go right to the newest?

Is there an update that I should install over the others?

Any to avoid?

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #3,809 of 4,944
Hi all. I just got a second PD and it came with firmware v1.15 installed. Thought that was interesting because the last update I did on the other one was 1.14.  And now it jumped to 1.17 with no .15 or .16 on the website? Anyhow, when this one turns on there's a new Plenue logo that shows up and then, every time, I have to wait a bit for an "Updating Database" screen to finish loading.  I'm hoping the new update changes that, but I'm also wondering if this is normal behavior?  I don't have to wait a long time, but I'd like to be able to just turn it on and have it work, you know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back