Cowon Plenue D
Sep 16, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #3,451 of 4,944

How good do you think the D is mate?  DX50 level? Much better than the old j3?

I might audition it tomorrow with my Ref.1 in store.

it is a level below my shanling m3.
cheers!

Sep 16, 2016 at 12:00 PM Post #3,452 of 4,944
Sep 16, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #3,454 of 4,944
Sep 18, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #3,455 of 4,944
Expecting a PD to arrive in the next couple of days. Bought it from another Head Fier. Main selling point for me was the battery life. Second was the good sound. Looking forward to seeing if it beats my Rockboxed Xduoo X3.

Sep 19, 2016 at 8:42 PM Post #3,457 of 4,944
  I sent an email to Dignis a little while ago asking if they will be making a case for the PD. Good news, they are!

Here is a blog post about it (in Korean) dated back in January.
http://blog.naver.com/dignis/220593040916

A few photos of the prototype at that time:

So yea, here is an alternative to the official case. And the person who emailed me said they will be available for purchase in about 2 weeks (maybe).

Does anybody know if or when this is available for the US, and how much it is? I'm looking to get a case for the player, but this one is the only one where the buttons look like they will be easy to press with the case on.

Sep 19, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #3,458 of 4,944
  Does anybody know if or when this is available for the US, and how much it is? I'm looking to get a case for the player, but this one is the only one where the buttons look like they will be easy to press with the case on.

Here: http://shop2.dignis.cafe24.com/product/PAULO-COWON-PLENUE-D-CASE/123/?cate_no=54&display_group=1

Sep 19, 2016 at 10:04 PM Post #3,459 of 4,944
Hello fellow Headfi

Long time lurker here, just got myself a Plenue D about 2 weeks ago. Bought it mainly thinking it is an affordable and portable music player, didn't think too much about the sound quality as it is in the lower spectrum of the price range but boy was I wrong. This thing sounds phenomenal, absolutely love it.

Anyway, I am mainly writing to share with you guys some tempered glass i found for the Plenue D that doesn't need a forward service from Japan. I heard some other used cannon 60D/600D tempered glass which I wasn't too fond off. I got one for myself, look pretty good on the PD

IMAG0063_zps4urtqqpi.jpg

They are from the same seller but they have two different listing for the PD tempered glass. I don't know why maybe the one with "impulse to get 1 free" get you two protector for an extra $1

http://www.yoycart.com/Product/526488436236/ - the one with the "impusle to get 1 free"

http://www.yoycart.com/Product/527585016398/

Sep 21, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #3,461 of 4,944

I agree, the D was designed that at full volume to be utilized as a line out. I have tried volume at full volume with a high quality portable amp and it's great. I've also measured the headphone jack and the typical line out voltage you want is 1.0v and measured that to be around the volume set at 59. I don't see any difference between the two.

No it wasn't.  None of the early Cowon players (including the Plenue D) were ever "designed" to bypass the internal amp.  Just sending out voltage at 1.0 doesn't bypass the amp.  You are still double amping.  I'm not saying that people could notice.  However, if you ran it out to a chord mojo you will get Cowon Amp+Chord Mojo.

Sony had an old walkman (HD5) that you could use the headphone jack as a line out.  But they included a setting in the menu to do so.

To "be designed" to have a line out, the easiest ways are a menu setting option, or max volume.  Cowon could have implemented with method, as long as the result was teh same- either setting bypasses the internal headphone amp.  They didn't.  Only the newer higher end plenues have line outs. 

Sep 22, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #3,464 of 4,944
Random suggestion, but for people looking for protection for the PD while it's in their pocket, the headphone carry case that comes with the 1More triple hybrids (E1001?) that are currently getting rave reviews in the <$100 bracket fits perfectly, and is actually pretty sturdy and good looking too. Obviously not as functional as a real case, but pretty good for carrying around.

Sep 22, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #3,465 of 4,944
Got in the Plenue D a few days ago.  Formatted a 64GB card to FAT32 and copied songs over with no problems whatsoever.  Flashing up to Firmware 1.14 went flawlessly also.  I've been using this thing off and on for a few days now and the battery indicator hasn't budged.  The sound is really impressive also.  Needless to say, I'm very glad I made the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back