Cowon Plenue D
Dec 6, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #3,736 of 4,949
  FraterOiram, kfarndog, and Virzile,

Your lasts posts are all about the size of the microsd card.

With the Plenue D, Cowon has it maxed out at 128 or less.  You can use a 200Gb card, load it up with music and it will work- but not fully.  There will be albums, songs, etc that will NOT display in the UI search function.  You will be able to see the files in folder view, but they are unplayable.

Do NOT buy this player if you need more space than 128Gb, until Cowon releases a firmware fix.  Given that the player has been out about a year, it seems unlikely they will fix.

-> Limit for reading micro SD cards up to 128GB

Many users are having trouble using micro SD card with 200GB capacity. People can copy the files to the card, they appear on the PC, but do not play when the Plenue D is being used.

Cowon Technical Team Response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your interest on our product.

Please note that Plenue D supports up to 128GB SD cards.
Up to 200GB SD cards works at Plenue series excuding Plenue D.

Thank you for your understanding in advance.

Have a nice day.

Dec 6, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #3,737 of 4,949

There are two ways to put the cover on the songs:

1 - Copy the image file to the album folder you want.
2 - Use a program such as "MP3 TAG" to insert the album image into all music tracks.

PS: No matter what format of the music track (MP3, FLAC, WAV). All support cover.

Regarding the fact that files do not appear in FLAC, try to download the firmware again and copy again to Cowon Plenue D.

It was already done... but still some wont show

Dec 7, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #3,739 of 4,949
I have put music on my SD card without artwork in the tag, then edited it, adding artwork on the card and still no artwork on PD. I had to delete the files from the card, refresh database, then add the files back and refresh database. Then artwork appears.  

Dec 7, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #3,740 of 4,949
I have put music on my SD card without artwork in the tag, then edited it, adding artwork on the card and still no artwork on PD. I had to delete the files from the card, refresh database, then add the files back and refresh database. Then artwork appears.  

I went through that but it was not all music, just a few folders. If you use the Matrix browser you can see which folder is not displaying the art and go to it and address it. That was my quick way to find and fix instead of reloading everything. No refresh ever made a difference for me. Just my experience.

Dec 9, 2016 at 5:24 AM Post #3,743 of 4,949
Hey all,

So I wanted to get a new player to replace my J3. This Plenue D seemed a good deal to me, but I'm a bit disappointed. I was thinking I could finally put all my music in one device with a 128 GB SD card + 32 GB on the player. 

But sometimes the player will just stop working. I get chinese characters everywhere and the songs become unreadable. After I reboot it will ask me for the language, but still not be able to play my music. Then I have to remove the SD card, plug the player on a computer then unplug it and it will find the data again. After that I can insert the SD card again and I will have a functional player again. Last time I did that it lost all the songs info from the SD card. I checked, the songs still have their MP3 tags. So now I'm looking at this forum, and I see the forum post J kelley saying I should delete everything and copy it again on the SD card. I am doing it at the moment, but it takes quite a bit of time.
This loss of data happened for the 4th time in 6 months I had this device. This is beginning to be a bit too much of a headache...

I've been a client from cowon for more than 10 years, but it is probably the last device I bought from them.
I'm gonna get a phone with a good quality sound output (is there anything like that on the market? A phone for music enthusiast?) and probably use spotify in the future. I will still use my Plenue for at least a year or two, because I won't get rid of it after only 6 months.

Dec 9, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #3,744 of 4,949
  Hey all,

So I wanted to get a new player to replace my J3. This Plenue D seemed a good deal to me, but I'm a bit disappointed. I was thinking I could finally put all my music in one device with a 128 GB SD card + 32 GB on the player. 

But sometimes the player will just stop working. I get chinese characters everywhere and the songs become unreadable. After I reboot it will ask me for the language, but still not be able to play my music. Then I have to remove the SD card, plug the player on a computer then unplug it and it will find the data again. After that I can insert the SD card again and I will have a functional player again. Last time I did that it lost all the songs info from the SD card. I checked, the songs still have their MP3 tags. So now I'm looking at this forum, and I see the forum post J kelley saying I should delete everything and copy it again on the SD card. I am doing it at the moment, but it takes quite a bit of time.
This loss of data happened for the 4th time in 6 months I had this device. This is beginning to be a bit too much of a headache...

I've been a client from cowon for more than 10 years, but it is probably the last device I bought from them.
I'm gonna get a phone with a good quality sound output (is there anything like that on the market? A phone for music enthusiast?) and probably use spotify in the future. I will still use my Plenue for at least a year or two, because I won't get rid of it after only 6 months.

For the record, my PD has never rebooted or stopped working on its own. My recommendation to remove and recopy songs (with good tags!) was just the way I corrected tag data not showing on the screen. Maybe you could just try using the internal storage, without SD card, for a while and see if the problem still exists. If it does I would look for warranty replacement.

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #3,745 of 4,949
So my Plenue has never rebooted on its own, maybe I wasn't clear. What happens is I stop the music and put my player to sleep. Then a bit later (can be as little as 20 minutes) I wake it up from sleep and I get all the chinese characters. After that I have to do a few things to be able to use my player again.

I didn't have the problem at the beginning but it's been a while since I used the player without the SD card.
I will try this again.
Thanks for your answer.

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #3,746 of 4,949
  Hello everyone!
Recently I bought a Cowon Plenue D player (before got FiiO X1) and I've got a problem with FLAC files, the Hi-Res files doesn't appears in player, also nromal flac's like 44.1kHz/16bit won't show in many folders. I've got 1.13 firmware with is the latest one, trying to put a music via JetAudio because someone suggest that tags may be a problem and still don't get any chance to play them. Sorry for my weak english :)
Have a nice day!

rename them .fla

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #3,747 of 4,949
Hi all! Has anyone found a way to force the PD into making use of tag delimiters in the GENRE field? Thanks guys! Apart from genre handling and the stupid 128Gb limitation, it's indeed a worthy successor to my trusty old D2 :D
Since I don't think anyone mentioned it here: I have filled the LYRICS tag in a couple of albums and it's really lovely that Cowon actually uses it :)
Cheers!

Dec 10, 2016 at 9:07 AM Post #3,749 of 4,949
So my Plenue has never rebooted on its own, maybe I wasn't clear. What happens is I stop the music and put my player to sleep. Then a bit later (can be as little as 20 minutes) I wake it up from sleep and I get all the chinese characters. After that I have to do a few things to be able to use my player again.

I didn't have the problem at the beginning but it's been a while since I used the player without the SD card.
I will try this again.
Thanks for your answer.

I've had that happen to me once and I don't use an SD card at all. It fixed itself when I turned off sleep mode and just turned it off and on normally. I haven't seen it happen since

Users who are viewing this thread

Back