Cowon Plenue D
Apr 22, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #2,296 of 4,949
  how can i use the cown d as transport with chord mojo

You will have to convert the 3.5 out of the Cowon to one of the Mojo's inputs which is either Coaxial, or Optical. I don't think anything exists that is 3.5 to USB. I have seen 3.5 jack to optical that has other outputs but it's a hassle. It's something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/AutoWT-Digital-Optical-Converter-Standard/dp/B011O0N0UQ/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1461363690&sr=8-4&keywords=digital+to+analog

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:16 PM Post #2,297 of 4,949
  No, Chord mojo is a DAC+amp combo unit and it only has digital input afaik
It only accepts digital input through USB, coaxial and optical (and the DAC part is Chord's strength)
The D does NOT have digital output, you cannot connect these two devices in anyway

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #2,298 of 4,949
  Well I've spent two days of 8 hours each of non stop playing listening to music with different IEM's and songs (IEM's only, headphones maybe different results I'm sure). What I have learned about the Cowon Plenue D.

1. The BBE settings that are user adjustable, anything above 3 adds sibilance to the music. When above +3 the soundstage goes wider but it's does have an echo sound to it. When it's low +1~+3 or even off it's much more realistic and forward sounding with presence, like the artist is in front of you and focused. When above +3 it seems they are in a studio or hall making the image sound further away.
2. The Mega bass is better utilized to add bass than the EQ that is adjustable at 80Hz. 
3. The low EQ setting 80hz etc, is better suited to cut some of the muddiness at other frequencies so you gain an extra adjustment in a way of a frequence if needed.
4. The MP enhance adds sibilance also but not as much as the BBE, very very little.
5. The 3D settings, anything over 3 seems to sound to processed and fake, moderation here.
6. The reverb is useless. Leave off. They should of spent time developing more EQ settings that are user adjustable.
7. When the Plenue D is connected line out to a portable amp or any other amplified source, it does not distort it's output at 100% volume. Now that is impressive.
8. When you connect the line out to a portable amp or any other source, the battery life is greatly increased. This has always been true mostly with audio but the battery life is greatly extended on top of it's already great battery life.

Overall, the sound is wonderful and clear. Each of my IEM's that I struggled with to make sound good or better with different DAP's found a new home with the Plenue D, the IPOD goes into storage. 

I may post more impressions if any.

great advise to use 80 to cut and rely on matchbass to boost bass as this gets rid of any muddiness

Apr 22, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #2,299 of 4,949
how can i use the cown d as transport with chord mojo
That would be God sent. A small player as small as the PD to be able to attach to the Mojo will sell like crazy. Add it can EQ the Mojo aswell that would be great.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:15 PM Post #2,300 of 4,949
  Well I've spent two days of 8 hours each of non stop playing listening to music with different IEM's and songs (IEM's only, headphones maybe different results I'm sure). What I have learned about the Cowon Plenue D.

1. The BBE settings that are user adjustable, anything above 3 adds sibilance to the music. When above +3 the soundstage goes wider but it's does have an echo sound to it. When it's low +1~+3 or even off it's much more realistic and forward sounding with presence, like the artist is in front of you and focused. When above +3 it seems they are in a studio or hall making the image sound further away.
2. The Mega bass is better utilized to add bass than the EQ that is adjustable at 80Hz. 
3. The low EQ setting 80hz etc, is better suited to cut some of the muddiness at other frequencies so you gain an extra adjustment in a way of a frequence if needed.
4. The MP enhance adds sibilance also but not as much as the BBE, very very little.
5. The 3D settings, anything over 3 seems to sound to processed and fake, moderation here.
6. The reverb is useless. Leave off. They should of spent time developing more EQ settings that are user adjustable.
7. When the Plenue D is connected line out to a portable amp or any other amplified source, it does not distort it's output at 100% volume. Now that is impressive.
8. When you connect the line out to a portable amp or any other source, the battery life is greatly increased. This has always been true mostly with audio but the battery life is greatly extended on top of it's already great battery life.

Overall, the sound is wonderful and clear. Each of my IEM's that I struggled with to make sound good or better with different DAP's found a new home with the Plenue D, the IPOD goes into storage. 

I may post more impressions if any.

Exactly ! I agree with this, and have the same feelings.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:25 PM Post #2,302 of 4,949
Apr 22, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #2,304 of 4,949
Apr 22, 2016 at 8:13 PM Post #2,305 of 4,949
Thinking of an amp for my pd. the c5 increases the sonic performance?

Although the PD is great a power hungry IEM will always benefit from a pure dedicated well designed powerful amp. While the amp in the PD is great, and even if the IEM does not seem to need an amp, adding an amp will add punch and take the load off the PD's amp and extend the battery life as you are not using the PD to drive anything only pass the signal to a more dedicated source. So if you have an amp try it and see, you will gain the following if anything: 

1. More gain and control on the volume. Results in music that’s stronger, clearer, and not prone to strain or distortion at higher volumes.
2. Extended battery life and performance of the PD. ( I rather change a batter in the amp than in the PD as it does not look like it was designed to have the battery replaced, not sure yet)
3. Added punch and possible better bass response as a dedicated amp will have bigger or better caps on the signal line and battery than the tiny PD.
4. A Class A amp will sound clean and clear with more authority than a Class B amp, which is what the PD is, of course the line out is still Class B on the PD but I rather do a Class B to Class A signal than Class B to Class B.
5. You would be able to drive larger cans with a dedicated amp than the tiny PD, if you have larger cans rather than IEM's.
6. If you are driving larger cans the PD's run time will be shorter, how much not sure.
7. Amplification is heat; an amp needs room to dissipate this heat, even though the PD does not appear to give off any major heat, there must be some. With that said, I again rather have the PD be more of a signal out to an amp that is dedicated and designed to run and have heat. This in theory should make the sound better, but if it's detectable is hard to say.

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #2,306 of 4,949
Although the PD is great a power hungry IEM will always benefit from a pure dedicated well designed powerful amp. While the amp in the PD is great, and even if the IEM does not seem to need an amp, adding an amp will add punch and take the load off the PD's amp and extend the battery life as you are not using the PD to drive anything only pass the signal to a more dedicated source. So if you have an amp try it and see, you will gain the following if anything: 

1. More gain and control on the volume. R[COLOR=424242]esults in music that’s stronger, clearer, and not prone to strain or distortion at higher volumes.[/COLOR]
2. Extended battery life and performance of the PD. ( I rather change a batter in the amp than in the PD as it does not look like it was designed to have the battery replaced, not sure yet)
3. Added punch and possible better bass response as a dedicated amp will have bigger or better caps on the signal line and battery than the tiny PD.
4. A Class A amp will sound clean and clear with more authority than a Class B amp, which is what the PD is, of course the line out is still Class B on the PD but I rather do a Class B to Class A signal than Class B to Class B.
5. You would be able to drive larger cans with a dedicated amp than the tiny PD, if you have larger cans rather than IEM's.
6. If you are driving larger cans the PD's run time will be shorter, how much not sure.
7. A[COLOR=424242]mplification is heat; an amp needs room to dissipate this heat, even though the PD does not appear to give off any major heat, there must be some. With that said, I again rather have the PD be more of a signal out to an amp that is dedicated and designed to run and have heat. This in theory should make the sound better, but if it's detectable is hard to say.[/COLOR]
hmmm thanks for your detailed reply! :)
iyo what the best amp to pair with pd for vocals

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:52 PM Post #2,307 of 4,949
hmmm thanks for your detailed reply! :)
iyo what the best amp to pair with pd for vocals

So far I love it with my Ray Sammuels P-51 which is awesome for mids. I have been running it with a WISS and it's great with it also. I have an Aune B1 which is a class A. I can only imagine how it may sound with that. I can't say any amp is bad as long as it's very neutral or even slightly warm can be bad as you can easily adjust the PD to unlock a great setup.

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #2,308 of 4,949
So far I love it with my Ray Sammuels P-51 which is awesome for mids. I have been running it with a WISS and it's great with it also. I have an Aune B1 which is a class A. I can only imagine how it may sound with that. I can't say any amp is bad as long as it's very neutral or even slightly warm can be bad as you can easily adjust the PD to unlock a great setup.
thats true but thing is I am not looking to drive cans rather iems and soundstage and forwardness on pd is lacking for me

Apr 22, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #2,309 of 4,949
thats true but thing is I am not looking to drive cans rather iems and soundstage and forwardness on pd is lacking for me

Understood. Try taking out some BBE and 3D or even have the BBE and 3d off and see if you like that better. Pop is a great preset setting also as is Crystal Clear but the Crystal Clear is a tad sibilant. If you have no sibilant IEM's Pop is very good as is Headphone 2 and Crystal Clear.

Also what kind of IEM's are you using. Sometimes it's not about the source but about the IEM maybe lacking what you want with either it's limitation, tips or just fit.

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #2,310 of 4,949
Understood. Try taking out some BBE and 3D or even have the BBE and 3d off and see if you like that better. Pop is a great preset setting also as is Crystal Clear but the Crystal Clear is a tad sibilant. If you have no sibilant IEM's Pop is very good as is Headphone 2 and Crystal Clear.

Also what kind of IEM's are you using. Sometimes it's not about the source but about the IEM maybe lacking what you want with either it's limitation, tips or just fit.
see my profile on the iems i listing :p lazy to list haha some are quite sensitive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back