Cowon Plenue D
Apr 16, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #2,237 of 4,949
I received the Official Brown Cowon Plenue D case this morning.

Pros :-

Looks Good
Well padded
Rigidity

Cons :-

You have to remove the DAP to access the Micro SD slot.
I can't use the side scroller with the case (Not a huge deal for me though).
Side buttons can be awkard if you have nails.
Does not fit perfect (but it's okay, It's snug, not loose)
Blue stitching (If that bothers you, you may want to google OCD
tongue_smile.gif
)

If the cons don't bother you, it's not a bad case for £26, basically it will do what it's supposed to, although £20 would be a fairer price IMO.  I'll probably get a Dignis one for Mrs T if the price comes down (a lot) as she likes funky colours
rolleyes.gif

As ever, just one mans opinion.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #2,243 of 4,949
Now it's between the iBasso DX80 and the PD.
confused_face_2.gif

I keep hearing you must use the EQ, BBE ect if you want good sound with the PD. Is this technically true or simply subjective minority preference?  Has the sound improved since the X5L days?
Is the PD battery easily removable?

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:56 AM Post #2,244 of 4,949
confused_face_2.gif

I keep hearing you must use the EQ, BBE ect if you want good sound with the PD. Is this technically true or simply subjective minority preference?  Has the sound improved since the X5L days?

That is up to you to EQ or not to. About the battery that's the least of my concern on my book. It certainly last pretty long on a single charge. So I don't expect the battery cycle to run low fast (I'm talking about long term) .

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:17 AM Post #2,245 of 4,949

I would say it's true that the sound vastly improves when tinkering with EQ and BBE within any Cowon device. To not mess with these DSP's places the sound no more enticing than a Sansa Clip, smartphone or any other device really. It doesn't necessarily translate to being 'abuse my DSPs!' to get something good, even small changes can make definite and apparent changes.

I have owned the X5, D2, C2, i9, i9+ and they all sounded the same. There are varying opinions here suggesting that the sound is better on the PD, then some owners saying it is not that different from some previous offerings. I would expect the PD to drive certain headphones better due to it's internals, and also provide less hiss, as some previous Cowon's did hiss quite a bit imo. But all in all I would go into it expecting a similar experience and not a drastic improvement.

Don't know about the battery, but remember it is rated for 100hrs new, so in 5yrs time yer still prolly getting 50hrs etc, by the time the battery needs replaced either civilisation has collapsed and you can no longer ebay for a spare battery, or... something new and better will be on the scene and you'll fancy that instead.

That is up to you to EQ or not to. About the battery that's the least of my concern on my book. It certainly last pretty long on a single charge. So I don't expect the battery cycle to run low fast (I'm talking about long term) .

Not really imo. Buying a Cowon, especially a PD is akin to owning a lamborghini and never taking it to a race track or actually deriving any of the benefits it has over yer average car.

Look... I own a Alien Shozy, it has no EQ, it has no screen and is wildly claimed (rightly so) to have excellent sound quality. It is quite unique sound signature to me, things are engaging, spacious dare i say it... 'organic', but it's kinda true. Instrument separation and detail seems to be more apparent, you get a sense of where things are in the room etc, it's very enjoyable and a completely different experience to that of listening to a Sansa or Cowon without any DSPs active.
Thing is... when you become proficient in tinkering with DSPs then you can start to replicate a signature that also sounds great. In short, I can also turn a Cowon's sound signature to being more engaging, spacious and detailed as well, and whilst perhaps not a complete copy of Shozy, it is still vastly improved upon what it has when nothing is 'on'.

So yeh, if you want to own the PD and want to hear it perform to it's fuller potential then yer going to have to master DSP. If you don't it's a bit of a face palm tbh. 

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #2,246 of 4,949

So yeh, if you want to own the PD and want to hear it perform to it's fuller potential then yer going to have to master DSP. If you don't it's a bit of a face palm tbh. 

I'm just saying it is up to Despotes, to eq or not to. But certainly it is fun flickering with the DSP just to replicate SQ that you like. 
rolleyes.gif
 It's more like a portion of the PD price itself was paid for their amazing DSP feature imo.

Apr 17, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #2,247 of 4,949
confused_face_2.gif

check the dx80 thread i have answered your query
cheers
beerchug.gif

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #2,250 of 4,949
Would like to see a comparison of Cowon Plenue D vs Cowon M2?

As a long time S9 users, I would like to upgrade which I should be chosing?
Besides price ranges, any differences between two?

Opinions welcomed :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back