Cowon Plenue 2 - Taking it a step further.
Mar 1, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #91 of 1,024
I really like my P1, very small, long play time and it drives my T1!

What I worry about P2 is the use of AMOLED, I heard OLED has a short life and the green OLED dies fast. The colors will screw up in a few years. I wish they can use IPS screen instead. P2 seems like larger than P1 as well. Don't know how much it weights.

For SQ, I hope it is more resolving than DX200. Can't wait to audit one.

I'd like to try it as well. After listening to the LPG Diana Edition for a brief moment. I extremely impressed and wanted to buy something like that, but a cheaper alternative.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:18 AM Post #92 of 1,024

What I worry about P2 is the use of AMOLED, I heard OLED has a short life and the green OLED dies fast. The colors will screw up in a few years. I wish they can use IPS screen instead. P2 seems like larger than P1 as well. Don't know how much it weights.

P2 is not much bigger than P1 - 3mm wider and its even smaller than PM2. From Cowon's site P2 uses the same sized AMOLED display like in P1,PM,PM2 or PS.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #93 of 1,024
I got the D when it was released, and the UI was abysmal in performance, and a downgrade in features from previous cowon DAPs. Took 6 months for it to be patched to semi-usability, but it's still somewhat lacking to this day. Hope they learned their lesson and will put extra effort in the firmware prior to release for this one.

Mar 1, 2017 at 10:08 AM Post #94 of 1,024
I got the D when it was released, and the UI was abysmal in performance, and a downgrade in features from previous cowon DAPs. Took 6 months for it to be patched to semi-usability, but it's still somewhat lacking to this day. Hope they learned their lesson and will put extra effort in the firmware prior to release for this one.
Only the D had an average UI speed. The older P1 and M are one of the fastest UI ever made. But those cost 3X more than the D. In 2006 my Cowons UI was faster than the AK100.

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #95 of 1,024
Thank you for posting the DAP diagrams. I was too lazy to check it out. 20gram more in weight should not be significant.

Mar 1, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #96 of 1,024

Don't say such thing and Oleds problem are long time solved.
Using POLED on Lg Flex since 2014 and no problems.

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #99 of 1,024

i can't think it.
dx 200 is a top end device with great sq/price..., he is rival for plenue S.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:39 PM Post #100 of 1,024
I was not happy with the Ibasso DX100 so I am not going to be purchasing any more of their daps.  Here are some of the issues I faced:  Start up time with even a small number of files (500-1000) took several minutes.  The wifi only worked once and never again. I tired everything and I could never get it to work again.  The EQ was pretty much hopeless to use.  The screen looked like it was something from the 80s.  While the low and mid gain worked fine, the high gain setting on the amp was off balance considerably to one side.  There were not many updates and each update they they did release changed the sound quite a bit.  They dropped support of the unit (still left with many bugs) and did not / or want to fix them.   There were also corrupted files where you would have to reformat the memory card for the unit to start.  It would lock up occasionally and require a hard reboot.  That tread is filled with the same issues I am speaking of if you don't believe me.  I think I paid around $800 for the unit directly from them and they left a very bitter taste in my mouth.  If you or anyone are interested in the DX200, please read the thread of the DX100 so you will know what you are getting into.  This was years ago and perhaps the company is different now, I don't know. 

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #101 of 1,024
Did you ever replaced the battery? How long does it last? I bought years ago that player for my girlfriend and was fantastic for the time.

I have never replaced the battery.  I haven't used it in several months and lately because I have other daps, I haven't listened to it for long periods in the last few years.  When I was using it continuously, the battery would last around 40-45 hours.  The only gripe I have about it is that it used a unique USB cable.  I have purchased 2 Cowon Daps, the S9 and P1, $300, $1000.  I feel that both units are worth the money in comparison to to some of the others which I feel weren't an enjoyable experience and not worth the money spent.  

BTW, I feel the S9 has the best FM radio receiver I have ever listened to in a portable device.  It was a beautiful work of engineering for it's time.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:53 PM Post #102 of 1,024
I have the DX200 and the S. I prefer the S, by a wide margin. The DX200 is a good device, but not my preferred signature. Even with the eq, I can't get the bass up. The eq is not the best IMHO. Completely different than the eq on Cowon devices.

Mar 1, 2017 at 4:56 PM Post #103 of 1,024
I have the DX200 and the S. I prefer the S, by a wide margin. The DX200 is a good device, but not my preferred signature. Even with the eq, I can't get the bass up. The eq is not the best IMHO. Completely different than the eq on Cowon devices.

The EQ on all ESS based devices is quite lacking.  I have the Onkyo DP-X1 and it is the same deal - EQ plain sucks.  With the Cowon daps, If I want to be a bass head and have double bass (Machbass plus bass boost on a portable amp)  It will rattle the insides of my head with clear and fast / accurate bass.  It even turns headphones like the Hd650 into bass cannons and the Fostex TH900 into a bass bliss.  

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #105 of 1,024

Don't say such thing and Oleds problem are long time solved.
Using POLED on Lg Flex since 2014 and no problems.

Good to hear it. I must be wrong. I was reading a technical paper last week regarding OLED technology and from what I read, the issues are still there and that is the main reason why commercial large OLED display is still years behind IPS LED. LG uses white OLED thus no green OLED problem. They use color filters on top of white OLED. Pretty much the OLED part is acting as a light source and similar implementation as of traditional LED for colors.

Since this is not a display forum so I'll take it as a grain of salt and put it behind our mind. Let's just hope the display works great and the SQ is up to our expectation. I have high hope of balanced end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back