Cowon mp3 players vs Sumsung Galaxy and iPod
May 1, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #46 of 67

Quote:

To be honest no. If you were to even attempt to get an ipod near the DX100 level you'd spend well over $1000.00 and you still wouldn't have as good of sound. Now if you don't need something portable more so transportable you could get a good DAC and amp and just use it with your PC. That is the only way to get comparable if not better sound for slightly cheaper IMO.

If that's the case, I would definitely have to audition it myself and hear for myself what you guys have heard of the DX100. But that will wait as I might have to send my customs out for a refit. In the meantime, will have start accumulating funds now if I ever decide that the DX100 is for me. 

May 1, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #47 of 67

Quote:

If that's the case, I would definitely have to audition it myself and hear for myself what you guys have heard of the DX100. But that will wait as I might have to send my customs out for a refit. In the meantime, will have start accumulating funds now if I ever decide that the DX100 is for me. 

There are of course cheaper alternatives such as the new Rocoo BA. I can assure you it won't sound as good as the ibasso but definitely a large improvement over any mainstream DAP (ipod, Cowon, Sony). The thing with the ibasso is you have so much versatility and power for very power hungry equipment. Check out the TTVJ Rocoo BA auction they are now hosting here on headfi. You could score a good deal on one. They normally retail at $245.00.

May 1, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #48 of 67

Quote:

Jealousy is an ugly thing. 
tongue.gif

Fanboyism too 
tongue.gif

May 1, 2012 at 5:45 AM Post #50 of 67
You are correct about the DX100 if music is not the focal point in getting the DX100 then it is not worth the price. Battery life with the EQ on with the bass set at +3 playing 24 bit HD music I will get 3.5 hrs of use. I do not use applications and nor do I care for WIFI and wished it was not on the player. But the Music, the details, clearity, power and EQ is the best out there.
Quote:

But the thing that drives me away from DX100 is the below average battery life, large form factor and buggy OS. The sound is no doubt good, but can't justify the price.

May 1, 2012 at 5:47 AM Post #51 of 67

Quote:
You are correct about the DX100 if music is not the focal point in getting the DX100 then it is not worth the price. Battery life with the EQ on with the bass set at +3 playing 24 bit HD music I will get 3.5 hrs of use. I do not use applications and nor do I care for WIFI and wished it was not on the player. But the Music, the details, clearity, power and EQ is the best out there.

I got 7 hours of playback before the unit shutdown. This is with EQ disabled as it sounds the best this way to me. A very euphoric, warm, and detailed sound. It's non fatiguing yet very detailed. Not a very easy feat to make IMO.

May 1, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #54 of 67

Quote:
MY DX100 doesnt have The IBasso name on it. I am no Fan of any company only fan of good music and if a Phillips or any brand comes out with a better sounding player I will get rid of this for that.

Same. I am a fan of the quality of sound this DAP presents. I am only after improving my musical experience. If not I would have long ended my search and stuck with my Sansa Fuze and iphone4.

May 2, 2012 at 12:08 PM Post #56 of 67
Quote:
i think it is funny that the op asked about three specific brands of mainstream player, and the thread filled up with 3 pages on a 700dollar brick.

Nah, I really appreciate it actually. I'm thankful to all who take the time to post. It is a lot like the guitar world. I was using your normal $15 dollar guitar store cable and a friend brought by one from evidence audio and the clarity was amazing. Of course the cables was $100. Sadly it showed other weaknesses in my setup, like the electronics inside my guitar, speakers in my amplifier cabinet, etc. I could have just gone back to the 15 dollar cable, but I kept upgrading and I've never been happier with my guitar tone. I hope to do that with my headphone setup as time goes by. Thanks again for all the replies!

May 2, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #57 of 67
Very ture but we all have to start somewhere and in time either accept the sound and enjoy it or enjoy it and move forwards. Technology is ever moving.
Quote:
i think it is funny that the op asked about three specific brands of mainstream player, and the thread filled up with 3 pages on a 700dollar brick.

May 14, 2012 at 1:02 AM Post #58 of 67
OK, so fast forward to now and I have a Cowon J3 because...

a) I am not going months on Ibasso, I don't want buttons like HiFiMan or Colorify.
b) Every review everywhere raves on this thing, felt like a safe buy.
c) I love the OS, I know some hate it, but I can fly song to song!
d) noise free IEM use, finally! No hiss! Didn't think this was possible.

So this brings new questions!

1) On my laptop PC, using full size headphones (Senny HD380 Pro) there seems to be more punch and bass. Does this mean I need an amp or hours alone with the J3 EQ? The BBE settings are pretty extreme. Exciting for short term listening, but fatigue sets in on extended listening hours even at low volumes.

2) I guess my original question should have been, "With no EQ engaged, which DAP offers the best sound quality?" as now I am wondering how the J3 fairs again an iPod classic of touch of the latest generation?

I can confirm that when we get into sound reproduction, the J3 surpasses my Laptop and the Samsung Galaxy. Everything is so detailed and "correct" from the symbols to the singer. The separation of instruments, even with the drums is remarkable.

Sep 1, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #59 of 67
The problem with today media player (mp3) has a small storage space (160G max) and equipped with low quality built in DAC and amp.
However, the USB powered external HD with large capacity like 1Tera is so cheap right now.
Is there any portable device out there that you can use it to interface between this external HD(as storage and transport) and output devices such as amp. or headphone?
If there is, please share.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back