cowon j3 or ipod touch 4th gen please help me !
Sep 7, 2010 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

wazzupi

Headphoneus Supremus
Watercooler Travel Team
Pulling out the Head-Fi muscle
I own a headstage arrow 2g+re0/re1/ath-es10 Im looking for a new portable source I am very interested in the j3 or new touch But my main concern is SQ. I know very little of Ipod touches and I know what to expect from the J3 and overall should be better but here is my problem I would have to pay out of pocket for the J3 and the ipod touch I can get for free. That's where my dilemma begins, I know the J3 is going to be worth it as a mp3 player vs the ipod touch but maybe for the future its worth keeping the ipod touch >_< when the camera connection kit works XD*hoping* just wondering if anyone knows if the ipod touch with the camera connection kit would be on par on SQ alone to the j3 *people that have heard the ipad with the kit is it worth it ?*.

Sep 7, 2010 at 2:37 AM Post #2 of 20
I have ipod nano / iphone 3g / ipad.  I knew what i was getting when I was buying them.  

However, I really hate hate, HATE itune and its management.

Next "music" player will be non - apple.

Sep 7, 2010 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 20
oOO I'm waiting on the samsung yp-m1 to come out in U.S. because best buy sells samsung mp3 players. pretty much the same thing as the cowon j3 but looks to have more features more format support and a better video player. and I'll be able to get it for free best buy warranty is awesome btw XD my mp3 player isn't repairable so they have to give me a comparable mp3 player which would be the m1 when it comes out XD.

Sep 23, 2010 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 20
I have the new ipod touch and if you really want sound quality then apple is definitely not the way to go. They still haven't really learnt from their mistakes and the sq has remained pretty much the same (maybe a tiny bit better) but nothing on the cowon.

Sep 24, 2010 at 2:29 AM Post #7 of 20
If you like to play games and have other apps other than audio then Ipod is the way to go. For the sound quality, cowon J3 with all the extra sound effects will beat any Ipod out there. I found that Ipod touch 4th gen has improved sound from it's predecessor and the EQ does work and doesn't distort the music at all. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #10 of 20
Indeed, but so too are posts that say: "player A is so much better than player B". There is no meat at all in those posts. What is better? How is it better than Player B? 

Why go through this stupid rhymery every time? Establish the rules: what you think SQ is and then lay it out. Don't say better - that is a worthless term. Better tasting means nothing. Spicier might mean something, but only with reference to another taste.

If you're going to discuss SQ, find metrics to compare, then go at it. I doubt the conversation will stay level long though, as opinion spouting is like s*it whipping - it's fun, but stinky and pointless. I'd like to see some real reasons why the J3 might be better than the iPod touch.

I can give you a couple for and against each - each measurable, each repeatable, each easily discernible, but I doubt anyone else in this thread can - I've lost hope in HF as a community of informed people. 

Sep 24, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #11 of 20
I've got the latest 4G Touch, and Cowon J3, and even a Samsung M1. 

The J3 and M1 have their own advantages, yet neither will do email, weather, web browsing, apps, etc., like a Touch will.   Of the two media players (a Touch is a PDA/Pocket PC) the J3 is more complete as a music device.  The M1 is a little better with video files. A Touch won't come close to the depth of control the J3 allows over your music.  User EQ, etc..   I'd consider the Touch a good third place though. You get microSD-HC expansion with the J3 and M1, but not the Touch.  You have to use iTunes with a Touch, but can use a range of other apps or simple drag-n-drop with the other two.

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 20
You still going to spend $3000 on your setup Wazzupi? If you get the dac thingy for your portable music device, I would go with the Apple product. It has more uses, and will sound the same as anything if an external Dac is used. Forgive me if your not the one with the "$3000 to spend on portrig" thread.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #15 of 20
lol that is me and I already purchased the jh-3a+16 looking for a source I am aware of the benefits and future benefits ipods will carry so I am on the ipod touch 4g , But I am also interested in gettiing a Iriver 140 that is for sell >_< I might just get the iriver 140+ ipod touch 4g and compare the difference maybe wait for a lod type of device that will decrypt the LO on the ipod to have pure digital out which would be amazing. XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back