Cowon J3 or iPod Classic
Nov 26, 2011 at 9:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

fihidelity

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys, I'm struggling to decide between getting a Cowon J3 or an iPod Classic. If anybody could just say which they feel is better from their own experience and why, that would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Nov 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM Post #2 of 8
It depends on what you want from your player, really.
The J3 has great sound and a good amp, but no line out. So if you're planning on getting an amp for your player, maybe the J3 isn't best for you.
The J3 can have up to 64GB of flash memory (32 internal + 32 microSD). Solid state memory is faster, lighter and less prone to breaking.
If you plan on using the equalizer at all, that's one of the J3's strongest features, it's simply amazing.

The iPod's sound will depend on the generation, i think, so i can't really comment on that, but it has a line out for an amp.
It has a hard drive, so it can hold more music (despite the disadvantages stated earlier).
The equalizer is not very good.
Rockbox is available on most generations (and soon the Classic, too). If you don't know what that is, you should check it out.

Umm... i can't really think of anything else at the moment.

Nov 26, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm thinking if I get a Classic I'll go for the latest gen 160GB although I don't really need all the space, I'm not really interested in using an amp either. I've heard iPods have poor sound quality but I'm not sure if this is true. I'm currently leaning towards the J3 although it would be disappointing not being able to use iPod docking stations, cables, transmitters etc.

Nov 26, 2011 at 7:17 PM Post #4 of 8
I revile the notion of buying into a product ecosystem that gives me few options, price premiums, and insists on holding my hand for the duration of the user experience. There is no amount of jewel encrustation that can be done to make me overlook nauseatingly average audio performance. Something like a DAP has a very particular use in my day-to-day; it's something that puts music into my headphones. As a device, the J3 does that better. The only reason a person like me would even consider an iPod is for the line out, but when I factor in the cost of an amp and interconnects and the ridiculous increase in weight and size I do a double take. If I opt for a higher fidelity option, it'll probably be a Hifiman 600 series device.

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #5 of 8
Classic for simplicity, storage capacity, and clean SQ output -VS- J3 for better & larger screened video playback, excellent EQ and sound enhancements, longer battery life, lighter & more pocket-friendly.

I have a Classic w/no EQ on and I use it with a Digizoid ZO - I'm happy with my choice. BUT,...I also use a Cowon D2, Sansa clip+ (RB), Sansa Fuze (RB) and Fuze+, Sansa clipzip, and a Sony Walkman S639 (plus others, I forget what I have sometimes,...).

All good quality players have (mostly) great SQ nowadays, so it's really about what features you desire the most. I owned a Cowon J3 - it's the ONLY player I regret selling! And, I've owned more than a few players,...

Also, the Classic sounds just fine using it straight out of the HP out - only someone who hates Apple will tell you otherwise. 

May 14, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:
Classic for simplicity, storage capacity, and clean SQ output -VS- J3 for better & larger screened video playback, excellent EQ and sound enhancements, longer battery life, lighter & more pocket-friendly.

I have a Classic w/no EQ on and I use it with a Digizoid ZO - I'm happy with my choice. BUT,...I also use a Cowon D2, Sansa clip+ (RB), Sansa Fuze (RB) and Fuze+, Sansa clipzip, and a Sony Walkman S639 (plus others, I forget what I have sometimes,...).

All good quality players have (mostly) great SQ nowadays, so it's really about what features you desire the most. I owned a Cowon J3 - it's the ONLY player I regret selling! And, I've owned more than a few players,...

Also, the Classic sounds just fine using it straight out of the HP out - only someone who hates Apple will tell you otherwise. 

So if I could pin you down on this, your saying that ignoring the EQ settings and leaving them on "normal" the Ipod Classic is better than the J3 for sound quality? Could you go more in depth on this? Are we talking about an overall warmer or more neutral reproduction of the music?

I actually own a J3 and I'm impressed. I got to try many other things and it is clearly "bad ass" however the one thing I cannot get my hands on for testing is an latest generation iPod classic or touch for that matter.

May 14, 2012 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
So if I could pin you down on this, your saying that ignoring the EQ settings and leaving them on "normal" the Ipod Classic is better than the J3 for sound quality? Could you go more in depth on this? Are we talking about an overall warmer or more neutral reproduction of the music?

I actually own a J3 and I'm impressed. I got to try many other things and it is clearly "bad ass" however the one thing I cannot get my hands on for testing is an latest generation iPod classic or touch for that matter.

just go to an apple store. im the opposite, i currently have a brand new (well only have it for about a month or less and got it new straight from apple itself) ipod classic 160gbs, the newest generation, i bought it for sheer memory and thought i could use the wolfson dac on my fiio e17 if i use the line out, turns out its only a usb dac so for my ipod, its only going to be an external amp and im still using the cirrus soundcard in my ipod. im also wondering how good the soundcard is and if ill need an external dac or not. can anyone tell me something?

May 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #8 of 8

I didn't say the classic was the better sounding player. I said that these players are (mostly) equal in SQ, and they differentiate in the EQ and sound enhancement areas. I also mentioned using a Digizoid ZO as well, and that it goes well with my classic. The classic with the EQ off is pretty flat & as neutral as it can get.

My Digizoid ZO is DOA now, so I use my A867 unamped straight from the HP out. My classic is still in use, but the Sony is getting all the luv ATM.

And, I like the Cowon sound, but I also like Sony SQ as well. Even a touch is great,...it's all about what preferences are most important to you.

As for testing a classic or touch, I think if you use a J3 you'll most likely favor the J3's SQ (if you use the EQ & sound enhancements). I mostly tend to use my classic as a source, amped, and I use the EQ presets. They no longer distort or clip. Sounds quite nice,...and there's no bass roll off with a classic or touch. None on a Sony either,...

Anyways, pick your poison - all work quite nicely IMO.

PS: if you pm a person requesting an opinion in an older thread it's best to provide a link. I've been here awhile, so I found this thread by accident. I would NEVER have found your post otherwise,...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back