Cowon J3 or C2?
Jul 26, 2011 at 11:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

ggops

New Head-Fier
Im having a dilemma as what what pmp is better for me. I know i can get cheaper players such as sansa clip+ and such however the vast choices of EQ settings that cowon offers reallly appeals to me. I really dont need video and other applications because i have an Iphone, so which would be better for me. Im just looking for sound quality and eq selections. what is better for me? the expensive J3 or the c2 which is cheaper or suggest any other player that has a decent price tag with the equal or better sound quality and eq settings. i prefer presets over custom eq settings, and i prefer very sparkly treble with quick punchy bass. I will be using the RE2 with a Fiio e5. 

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #3 of 25

Quote:
Im having a dilemma as what what pmp is better for me. I know i can get cheaper players such as sansa clip+ and such however the vast choices of EQ settings that cowon offers reallly appeals to me. I really dont need video and other applications because i have an Iphone, so which would be better for me. Im just looking for sound quality and eq selections. what is better for me? the expensive J3 or the c2 which is cheaper or suggest any other player that has a decent price tag with the equal or better sound quality and eq settings. i prefer presets over custom eq settings, and i prefer very sparkly treble with quick punchy bass. I will be using the RE2 with a Fiio e5. 

I would suggest you save your money and get a Fuze or a Clip.

Jul 27, 2011 at 6:53 AM Post #4 of 25
a fuze or a clip??  why?..  the clip is a very good player soundwise,no question about it,but it doesn't come near to the j3 (or the c2) in all other aspects.  and the j3 is not falling from the clip in terms of sound also. 
I say go for the j3, because it has better battery life and more space.  the c2 doesn't have a 32 gb model.   the j3 is really the best player cowon had made so far.   the other best player imo is the x7 because it is just a monster!  160gb of storage and everlasting battery bought me straight away.  the only drawback is that it is huge and it is also HDD and not flash memory which i prefer.

but in terms of storage the j3 is also great, if you rip all your music in mp3 (v0 for me) and get the 32gb version,shove in sd card of 16 or 32 gb and you will have plenty of space for you library.  i personally don't need more than that and the SQ is great.      
the c2 is smaller than the j3 but the size is a small price to pay for a 64 hours battery life and 64gb of storage imo.
but anyway,i am sure the c2 is also great because it also got some serious battery (better than the legendary d2/d2+) and it is even smaller.       this was never an issue for me personally,but the j3 user interface is considered cowon's best so far,and it also got even better  processor from the previous s9.

AH...and i forgot all about the EQ enhancements of cowon :)  they are the best!  i have experimented with them a little.   right now i listen in "normal" mode i.e FLAT.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 25
  •  I really dont need video and other applications because i have an Iphone
  •  Im just looking for sound quality and eq selections
  •  suggest any other player that has a decent price tag with the equal or better sound quality and eq settings
  • i prefer presets over custom eq settings

These are the reasons why I recommended him to buy a Clip or Fuze

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:38 AM Post #6 of 25

Quote:
  •  I really dont need video and other applications because i have an Iphone
  •  Im just looking for sound quality and eq selections
  •  suggest any other player that has a decent price tag with the equal or better sound quality and eq settings
  • i prefer presets over custom eq settings

These are the reasons why I recommended him to buy a Clip or Fuze

legendary..your recommendations are toally legitimit :)  I unserstand you completely because i also have a sansa clip of my own.  i also had an ipod classic as well and also other previous cowon players.    the cowon cost more because you also get more!  SQ is the same imo and you have much more options (sound and UI).    ofcourse the tiniy clip size is a winner in this aspect,that's why i use it primarely for running.  but besides of that i don't think the clip or the fuse got something that the j3 doesn't have.  just the opposite.  and all cowon players have presets as well as custom EQ options.  in those aspects cowon is truly the winner...the eq tweaks and options are endless.      the j3 also sounds wonderfull in flat mode imo, right now i am listening with my denon AHD5000 which is even a little hard to drive without a dedicated amp and the sound is really great coming out of the j3.
one of the main reasons to go for a cowon and epecially the j3 is the battery.  with all the repect for sansa players,their battery will not last even one day.  not even talking about driving a hard to push headphones like the denon D5000 etc.

Jul 27, 2011 at 7:46 AM Post #7 of 25

Quote:
legendary..your recommendations are toally legitimit :)  I unserstand you completely because i also have a sansa clip of my own.  i also had an ipod classic as well and also other previous cowon players.    the cowon cost more because you also get more!  SQ is the same imo and you have much more options (sound and UI).    ofcourse the tiniy clip size is a winner in this aspect,that's why i use it primarely for running.  but besides of that i don't think the clip or the fuse got something that the j3 doesn't have.  just the opposite.  and all cowon players have presets as well as custom EQ options.  in those aspects cowon is truly the winner...the eq tweaks and options are endless.      the j3 also sounds wonderfull in flat mode imo, right now i am listening with my denon AHD5000 which is even a little hard to drive without a dedicated amp and the sound is really great coming out of the j3.
one of the main reasons to go for a cowon and epecially the j3 is the battery.  with all the repect for sansa players,their battery will not last even one day.  not even talking about driving a hard to push headphones like the denon D5000 etc.

Nice~
biggrin.gif

I'm actually thinking of getting the Cowon J3 myself, but I'm torn between the J3 and Fiio's upcoming X3 DAP 
cool.gif

Also, having used the Sansa, I can say that I would NOT recommend it to most of my friends - for the mere sake of battery life, but it is a good -plug and play- player for the price.

In all honesty, I only recommend the Sansa Clip because most of the people I know would not spend money to purchase a J3 - when they can purchase an IPhone and 'think' that they have a player of equal SQ proportions. 

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #8 of 25
Thanks for the help. I was looking at the sansa and almost bought it cause i realized i could rockbox it however, i dont really enjoy tweaking the eq settings and would much rather just use the preset ones, and the cowon pmps had the best reviews for eq settings. what i would like to know is looking past the User interface, would the c2 or any of the lower end cowon models have the same SQ and EQ settings as the J3 because as good as the interface is, I really dont need it for anything else. I will not be using it for video or anything else. so would i be making a mistake if i choose to buy the c2  or even the lower end s9 over the J3? 

Jul 27, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #9 of 25
you can't go wrong with cowon imo.  in terms of sound and EQ settings ,all the players from S9 and after are the same.  the only differences are the battery life and storage space, UI and other options such as buttons etc.  but they all have gapless playback by the way :)  even output power is more or less the same in them all.  so if the battery of the c2 and space is enough for you you can certainly go for it in a peacefull heart.  i recommended the j3 because it has it all..  the c2's battery is also very good and 16gb version with another 16 or even 32 gb sd card will also be very good...if this is enough for you.  for me, the 32gb internal space of the j3 plus another 8 gb sd card is enough for now,and if i want more space in the future i can get a 16 gb memory card or just another 8 gb one and replace them.  

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #10 of 25
Second recommendation for the J3 (if you don't get a Clip). I'm in Korea right now and ran into these two (C2 and J3) side-by-side.

First reaction to C2: Eww.. that think is clunky as heck.  Felt cheaper, more fragile than the J3. The diminutive screen size is a major turn-off. The interface is confusing like no other. 
J3: Nice tactile feel, still felt kinda cheapish with the plastic back but secure. Also hella light. Interface is actually semi-passable for a person who's never used it. 
eek.gif

It's just that the J3 costs a lot more than a C2.

JB

EDIT: Added the the necessary "felt". Happy guys? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:12 AM Post #11 of 25
I tottaly agree with plonter..
You should get a J3 if you want a solid build player with great sound quality,storage,never ending battery life and many other things..
You can install also kizune's uci's and make it even more fun when browsing..

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:14 AM Post #12 of 25

Quote:
J3: Nice tactile feel, still kinda cheapish with the plastic back but secure. Also hella light. Interface is actually semi-passable for a person who's never used it. 
eek.gif

It's just that the J3 costs a lot more than a C2.

JB

J3 cheapish??
That's a new one?
Are you drunk maybe?

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:19 AM Post #13 of 25
Not sure why the C2's UI is considered horrible.  I just got mine, and although it is different than the J3, I appreciate that it has its own original take on interaction. You get two choices of icons, and the second is nearly identical to those used on the J3. I remember when I got my J3, and had to spend time figuring its UI out as well.  Dig a little in the C2's apps and you'll discover all the same features.  Get past a little figuring out and you have a device that sounds as good as the J3 but for half the price.

Jul 27, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #15 of 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back