Cowon J3, iPhone 4 and HTC Desire
Aug 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

SammyH

New Head-Fier
Apologies for the rather strange (and possibly off-topic) thread title, but please bear with me.

Up until now I've used my iPhone 3G as my portable source. However now that my contract with my provider has run out, its upgrade time!

Now I've given myself these 3 possible options:

1) Upgrade to an iPhone 4, use that as my main portable source.

2) Upgrade to HTC Desire, buy a Cowon J3 and use that as main portable source.

3) Upgrade to HTC Desire, and use it as my main portable source

Essentially, I'm after a device with lots of space for the flac/wav files, and that one that also sounds very good as a source. Initially my first instinct was to upgrade to a 32gb iPhone 4 and hope that it'll suit all my needs.

However I got the impression that iPods/iPhones in general were not great when it came to SQ, so I thought I'd just the ditch the iphone in favour of the desire, and pick up a Cowon J3 for my music (and probably videos)

Then, there's also the choice of picking up the Desire, getting a 32gb SDHC card and using THAT as my only source.

So I'm just wondering, in terms of sound quality is there really much difference between the Iphone and Cowon J3 (or even the HTC desire?) If so would I be better of sacrificing the practicality of having a phone and music source as one (iphone) and instead picking up a phone and seperate music source (desire + j3)

Sorry if I've proposed the question confusingly, I appreciate your help and advice.

Aug 19, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 5
I have a HTC Desire and use a S:Flo2/iPod Classic/Cowon D2+ separately. I do put some music on my phone, but I don't consider it to be my primary source because it doesn't sound 'that' great. I prefer the Desire SQ over the D2+ SQ, but the S:flo2 is the best of my sources.

Apparently the HTC Desire uses hardcoded Dolby sound enhancement or something along that line - so if you don't like your sound enhancements...stay away.

Android phones are awesome too...because you can hold the phone any way you like! :D

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Option 2. No brainer. Break the Apple umbilical.

Aug 21, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #5 of 5
I think should update to iPhone 4, but pay attention to battery life. If you work/talk much, will not have enough battery to enjoy music. You will also not need to spend time on new platform, just find good match headphone for iPhone 4. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back