Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2012 at 11:15 AM Post #2,941 of 3,200
Is there any way to adjust the minimum volume? I usually listen for a little bit in bed but the lowest volume is still too loud with my aud5x

Jun 15, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #2,943 of 3,200
would lowering all bands effect the sq at all? i thought of that but thought it would make it sound weird. was hoping not having to add any inline or amp.  hmm.

Jun 16, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #2,944 of 3,200
Listened to XTC's Skylarking (MFSL remaster) from my J3 through my DJ100s and I was thoroughly impressed - I can't imagine how it'd sound if I had a set of full-size cans that are a tier above the DJ100s...these pair up fantastically imo.

Jun 16, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2,945 of 3,200
Quote:
Listened to XTC's Skylarking (MFSL remaster) from my J3 through my DJ100s and I was thoroughly impressed - I can't imagine how it'd sound if I had a set of full-size cans that are a tier above the DJ100s...these pair up fantastically imo.

Well, I tried a couple of D5000 and had to crank the volume up to about 37-38 to get to normal listening levels, despite the D5000's being notorious for "easy drivin' ". I thought it was a little weird, to be honest. Then again, maybe not. The sound was okay though, so I mean, it drove them okay - just not very loud.

I haven't tried my D2000's straight out of the J3, to be honest.

The thing is, that no matter which portable you use, most of them will be designed for use with IEMs and portable supra-aurals. Higher end full-size cans .. they may work, then again, they may not work. I suppose I should try the Pro 900 and D2000 straight out of the J3 and report back, right?

Jun 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #2,946 of 3,200
Sure, why not? I'd be interested in hearing the results and I'm sure others would, too. What's the impedance of those D5000s?

Jun 17, 2012 at 3:21 AM Post #2,947 of 3,200
Quote:
Sure, why not? I'd be interested in hearing the results and I'm sure others would, too. What's the impedance of those D5000s?

25 Ohms I think. The D2000 and the D5000 are essentially supposed to be the same headphones apart from different cups and cables. Having tested the D2000 with a few songs at home with few, if any, outside obstacles such as noise and so on, I can say that the J3 drives these headphones just fine. Getting the normal, rather enjoyable, listening volume is easier here at home as opposed to doing it in store. The DX000 series from Denon ARE closed back - but sound like they're open, and isolate as such as well. So, they're pretty sensitive to outside noise.

Now, the drivability of these headphones is, as said, notorious; they're known for being really easy to drive. I did test both with and without the E11 in the chain to see what audible differences I could spot. Pretty much none. The bass seemed a little (we're talking about a difference of abysmal significance) looser without the E11, making the D2000 just a tiny little bit confused if I listen to a little faster drums in "punk". The slightly looser bass-drums might also be a product of EQ settings - to be quite honest, I have no desires (nor technical tools to know when I've hit the hot spot) to start searching for an EQ-setting that would exactly replicate the sound of J3+Viva2+E11.

Now, since we are all audiophiles, we just can't associate ourselves with such musical terrorism. Nor can we listen to heart attack inducing fast paced LSD/XTC music like techno. If we would, we would find that the J3 has no problems at all at portraying a very good sonical imagery of complex synthesizer patterns and drum machines made to make you take drugs and start living your wildest promiscuous fantasies.

I also tried some flacs, like this tidbit of pathetic attempt of creating "music". I have no idea why anyone would listen to this devils crap, but in case someone attempted they would hear a clean output with no audible distortion or anything.

Since no one listens to that crap, I should just say that Diana Krall and Luciano Pavarotti sounds natural with a flavor of 3D imaging and a squint of sonic roll-on in their higher respective lower parts of the voice coil induced frequency range. In fact, this player is so good that it makes audio books sound musical.

It drives them just fine. 33 for normal listening volume, and 35 for when you want to rock out a little more. Small, if any, sonic differences between having an extra amp in the chain.

Jun 19, 2012 at 10:17 PM Post #2,948 of 3,200
Quote:
No problem.
If you do try doing the EQ without the amp, I'm curious what you'll come up with so let me know if you can
biggrin.gif
. Even though I don't have those headphones, based on the many other headphones I've made EQ for, I think I'll have the general idea on what you may need to further do. One thing that really makes a difference in the sense that you say your amp does is boosting all the frequencies to a significant extent, like averaging +3 - +5. A/B between two user presets and adjust the volume accordingly when switching. That's a good way to see if you're going in the right direction.

Hmm, the EQ of the J3 is really powerful I think. It really does good things to my GR06. But on my DT1350 it's different. I already like its sound signature and I think I don't want to alter anything. What I want to hear is what I hear from it when using the E17 as DAC on my laptop, or even using E17 to the J3. It tightens bass response, very noticeable on metal songs with fast double bass drums (i.e. Chimaira - Everything You Love, The Faceless - Leica) and more importantly (which I cannot explain what's really happening here), the sudden quiet parts of the song is more quiet and much well expressed than just a J3 alone. Not so noticeable but the overall sound seems like effortless for the phones reproduce. :) Unlike with the J3 alone, some instruments seems like dull or just playing just for the sake of not playing.. lol If you know what I mean.. Sadly I can achieve the almost same great sound with my little Nationite N2 alone (which I tried to amp and was not impressed by the result, I think this is one of the DAPs that really do not benefit from amping through HP). Sorry for ultra late reply, having a hard time accessing this site lately.

Jun 19, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #2,949 of 3,200
Quote:

Hmm, the EQ of the J3 is really powerful I think. It really does good things to my GR06. But on my DT1350 it's different. I already like its sound signature and I think I don't want to alter anything. What I want to hear is what I hear from it when using the E17 as DAC on my laptop, or even using E17 to the J3. It tightens bass response, very noticeable on metal songs with fast double bass drums (i.e. Chimaira - Everything You Love, The Faceless - Leica) and more importantly (which I cannot explain what's really happening here), the sudden quiet parts of the song is more quiet and much well expressed than just a J3 alone. Not so noticeable but the overall sound seems like effortless for the phones reproduce. :) Unlike with the J3 alone, some instruments seems like dull or just playing just for the sake of not playing.. lol If you know what I mean.. Sadly I can achieve the almost same great sound with my little Nationite N2 alone (which I tried to amp and was not impressed by the result, I think this is one of the DAPs that really do not benefit from amping through HP). Sorry for ultra late reply, having a hard time accessing this site lately.

How about using the equalizer? my J3 is pretty the same with my sansa clip but when i use a custom eq setting i made the sound is quite enjoyable. More dynamic range and more clear sound.

Jun 20, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #2,950 of 3,200
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by autoexec /img/forum/go_quote.gif

How about using the equalizer? my J3 is pretty the same with my sansa clip but when i use a custom eq setting i made the sound is quite enjoyable. More dynamic range and more clear sound.

Jun 20, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #2,952 of 3,200
Quote:
Hehe.. i read all your post besides the first most important sentence
deadhorse.gif

Heheh, maybe you were listening to something really good while reading? :p I really love my J3 though and the EQ is very good for my GR06. I'm still interested about that channel bleeding issue though..

Jun 21, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #2,953 of 3,200
I have to play around with the eq more - i have a bunch of mfsl-mastered albums in flac and they're awfully bright in the highs, a bit hot for my tastes...i want to retain the detail, but lose the fatiguing effect it has...

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #2,954 of 3,200
It just sucks that playing 320Kbps mp3 on the N2 has much better overall SQ than playing FLAC to the J3. Battery and storage is wasted. It's just so noticeable with my new GR07 and I almost can't stand it anymore. Just love the sleek look of a player and Kizune's AUCIs. And the hardware based EQ maybe, but I really hardly use EQ. I just don't like selling my things.

Edit: I thought to include this for people that might question me. 320Kbps is generated by converting the FLAC that's in the J3. And also of course, I've been comparing the same music. The difference is just really obvious and I can't stand it... o_o

Jul 5, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #2,955 of 3,200
Quote:
It just sucks that playing 320Kbps mp3 on the N2 has much better overall SQ than playing FLAC to the J3. Battery and storage is wasted. It's just so noticeable with my new GR07 and I almost can't stand it anymore. Just love the sleek look of a player and Kizune's AUCIs. And the hardware based EQ maybe, but I really hardly use EQ. I just don't like selling my things.

Edit: I thought to include this for people that might question me. 320Kbps is generated by converting the FLAC that's in the J3. And also of course, I've been comparing the same music. The difference is just really obvious and I can't stand it... o_o

I have a Cowon S9, I've retired it for a Clip+ / E11 combo, because to my ears the Clip+ pairing sounds better. I have tried so many times to organize the EQ and enhancements giving it so, so many chances, it gets to a point you've bumped all the BBE up so much it sounds artificial. So you're not alone my friend. All my tracks played the same between each player at 320bps. One would think it simply doesn't make sense that a Cowon player could sound worse, but to my ears it does.

It sounds flatter, there's less clarity and bass roll off is very disappointing, it also lacks impact and dynamics, very unmusical. I thought it was my TF10 and GRO7 that were faulty however soon as I change over to the combo back in comes the sub-bass that is absolutely needed in my dubstep tracks.  I'm in no way trying to bomb the thread, it's what my ears tell me, and I know decent sound when I hear it. If this is the sound audiophiles need to become accustom too, I'm afraid, we have a missing link. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back