Cowon J3 Impressions Thread
May 14, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #2,896 of 3,200
I wish cowon would stop rolling off the bass. It makes the sound cold and lifeless. It  makes us highly dependent upon the sound enhancements. But sometimes some of us don't want to hear a colored sound but rather a natural flat balanced sound.
Colored sound get's tiresome fast when it comes to those to like balanced sound.

Rule for cowon to do:

1. Straighten the frequency response when a load is added without adding hiss, without decreasing the signal to noise ratio, and without decreasing crosstalk.

May 14, 2012 at 11:06 AM Post #2,897 of 3,200
colored? Well I EQ the bass and I would not label it as colored. I label it as increasing the bass, adding bass.
Quote:
I wish cowon would stop rolling off the bass. It makes the sound cold and lifeless. It  makes us highly dependent upon the sound enhancements. But sometimes some of us don't want to hear a colored sound but rather a natural flat balanced sound.
Colored sound get's tiresome fast when it comes to those to like balanced sound.

Rule for cowon to do:

1. Straighten the frequency response when a load is added without adding hiss, without decreasing the signal to noise ratio, and without decreasing crosstalk.

May 14, 2012 at 1:23 PM Post #2,898 of 3,200
I found it to be difficult with the Cowon players to use the EQ and other enhancements without ending up with a colored sound....it's a very fine line with them.

May 14, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #2,899 of 3,200
Interesting I guess you found what you were looking for well I did and I love the EQ on the Cowon and what earphone are you using?
Quote:
I found it to be difficult with the Cowon players to use the EQ and other enhancements without ending up with a colored sound....it's a very fine line with them.

May 15, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #2,900 of 3,200
Quote:
Interesting I guess you found what you were looking for well I did and I love the EQ on the Cowon and what earphone are you using?

I traded my Cowons a while ago...the only headphone that I know  for sure I had then that I still have now is the Grado SR60i. Basically, the 5 band EQ and the Mach3Bass, I liked....it was the various BBE settings that sounded artificial to me.

May 15, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #2,902 of 3,200
Do u guys recommend the full body protective film? I am used to Wrapsol for my iphone.. dont like bulky cases too much.
Whats a good screen protector? or a full body screen protector if they are any good?

May 15, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #2,903 of 3,200
PS- So I discovered the problem I was talking about earlier with the channels bleeding into each other was in fact a software problem.  When I did the test, I did it using my 4 User presets knowing that it's what I'd ever be using anyway and I also thought that at least one of them had Stereo Enhance "off".  On the one I thought was off, it was actually set to "1".  Even that significantly screwed up the stereo soundstage.  Also, from my experience on IEM's, not paying too much attention to "proper soundstage", I felt as though it actually spread the sound outwards,  so if anything I thought the effect was to push the sound a little further apart, as in, it would actually take from the side with less and pan it more to the left/right.  It does the opposite.  The 3D sound option also screws this up.  It should be called Stereo Degrade instead...  On high quality headphones, it's very noticeably worse.  I have no clue why it's even there.  Thinking about it, why would you wanna even change something like that?  Makes sense for cheaper headphones I guess if it actually worked the way I imagined...

that stereo enhance I think was made for large or deskop speakers.. it does improve or widen the sounstage for speakers but not any of my gears. it does degrade the separation on my headphones/earphones like you said. but try it on speakers if you had the chance.

J3 being flat with no effects really sounds dead to me.. with boring highs and a not convincing sharpness or impact of bass. can it be the power it outputs being not that powerful enough? i dunno the right term because im still new to this. but whenever i use my E17 with it kinda fixes the problem. my Nationite N2 definitely sounds better than my J3 without anything eq/bbe/amp. N2 sounds more fuller, crispier and natural. I dont like eqs and effects i bought the j3 because of the simplicity and the hardcore battery life. I just wish it sounds better. even a hairline below the n2. I think the difference of n2 and j3 is night and day. I can immediately tell that n2 sounds way better, especially on speakers or my DT1350. I really wonder if it's the power outputed.. :/

May 15, 2012 at 5:18 AM Post #2,904 of 3,200
Quote:
that stereo enhance I think was made for large or deskop speakers.. it does improve or widen the sounstage for speakers but not any of my gears. it does degrade the separation on my headphones/earphones like you said. but try it on speakers if you had the chance.
J3 being flat with no effects really sounds dead to me.. with boring highs and a not convincing sharpness or impact of bass. can it be the power it outputs being not that powerful enough? i dunno the right term because im still new to this. but whenever i use my E17 with it kinda fixes the problem. my Nationite N2 definitely sounds better than my J3 without anything eq/bbe/amp. N2 sounds more fuller, crispier and natural. I dont like eqs and effects i bought the j3 because of the simplicity and the hardcore battery life. I just wish it sounds better. even a hairline below the n2. I think the difference of n2 and j3 is night and day. I can immediately tell that n2 sounds way better, especially on speakers or my DT1350. I really wonder if it's the power outputed.. :/

Well, the thing is that J3 is quite a powerful DAP. However, it is also known for a rather cold, dead sound to it when no BBE or EQ are applied. The strength of the J3 are those sound enhancements, IMO.

May 16, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #2,906 of 3,200
Hi all,

My Cowon J3 32gb is on the way from JetAudio and should reach me within few days. I dont want to take chances with scratching up this babe. People rave about rearth ringke , but Its my personal opinion that the rearth ringke case takes away all the sophistication of the player, its like putting a translucent condom over the player.. it covers the bottom bezel, and the sexy edges of the player.
Instead i would like to add a full body protector or even a silicon case, that can flaunt the front body bezel and the sexy edges of the player.
Has anyone tried the full body protector film? I use wrapsol over my iphone now on android, and am good at applying protector.

SGP makes good stuff, they have a full body protector film
http://www.exportprive.com/en/cowon/14611-sgp-steinheil-incredible-shield-tc-film-de-protection-pour-cowon-j3-ecran-boitier-.html
any one used this? how do they fit and feel.

Also where can i find the full body protector or the silicon case in the US. Most of the sellers on ebay or exportprive will take 15 days to ship. 
size]

May 16, 2012 at 11:45 PM Post #2,908 of 3,200
Quote:
Well not everyone is gong to want to like or find something they like on a player. This can happen even with the best players.

I think you are referring to the features of a certain player where not everyone will like. This should not include the sound it outputs. It just have to sound good flat and that's all. Not like an underpowered sound, somewhat muddy/dull and not that detailed bass impact the J3 produces. At first you think it's just good enough but if you compare it to other Nationite N2 or Ipod Touch 4g, you will be discouraged by the J3. :frowning2:

May 16, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #2,909 of 3,200
Then for you it is not ideal but to many it is and the J3 is rated number one on this forum as a portable player. I found Apple to be very under powered, flat sounding, no bass and takes a lot of work to get music into it.
Quote:
I think you are referring to the features of a certain player where not everyone will like. This should not include the sound it outputs. It just have to sound good flat and that's all. Not like an underpowered sound, somewhat muddy/dull and not that detailed bass impact the J3 produces. At first you think it's just good enough but if you compare it to other Nationite N2 or Ipod Touch 4g, you will be discouraged by the J3. :frowning2:

May 16, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #2,910 of 3,200
I continue to use my Cowons with custom earphones which I always take advantage of the EQ and other gifts the Cowon supplies. I still use the Cowons even though I have the best portable player which is the iBasso DX100.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back