COWON J3 + DT770 (2)80 needs an amp?!
May 21, 2013 at 5:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kurd

Head-Fier
Hi guys, I really need your help on this one! and fast too cus I think these pair of headphones are going to be sold quickly! 
He's selling dt 770 280 ohms for 100 euros, he bought them 2 days ago for 145 euros.. so I wanna buy em but I am not sure whether my cowon J3 can run them fine without an amp. I also can get the 80 ohms version for 100 euros, so which one should I take? Or should I leave them both and choose for the 32 ohms? OR just take the Beyerdynamic COP? 
If anyone has experience with this, please share this information with me! Because I've got a great deal on my hands, but I don't wanna buy the headphones if I can't run them on my j3. 

May 22, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #4 of 9
beyerdynamic dt770's dont exist in 280 ohm impedance, they exist in 80, 250, and 32 ohm impedance's, the 80 ohm model is the bassiest, and 250 is slightly less so, i havent heard the 32 ohm model or the COP.

May 22, 2013 at 10:42 PM Post #5 of 9
They are the most comfortable cans I own, even moreso than my Denons, which are also renowned for comfort.  I look forward to putting them on, even though I have some cans with higher sound quality.  Cowons are quite powerful music players (much moreso than say, an iPod), and with the 80-ohm version you may not even need an amp.  I run my 250-ohm DT-770 through my Cowon X7 unamped a fair amount and it doesn't really lack anything (of course it improves with amplification, but pretty much all headphones do anyway).  They are excellent for any electronica that isn't too fast and punchy.  Genres like drum and bass can feel a little slow and uninvolved on them, and they don't have the mid-bass force of some of their competitors, but their sub-bass is extremely powerful.  The cord is long (the 250-ohm is coiled, but a little bulky, and the 80-ohm is just long), bur there are ways to deal with it.  They are closed, have excellent isolation compared to most full-size cans, and leak very little.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/596410/are-the-dt-770s-right-for-me

J3 and X7 has 29mW vs 30mW basically the same output power.

2 minute search...

May 23, 2013 at 4:21 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:
beyerdynamic dt770's dont exist in 280 ohm impedance, they exist in 80, 250, and 32 ohm impedance's, the 80 ohm model is the bassiest, and 250 is slightly less so, i havent heard the 32 ohm model or the COP.

Sorry! I was thinking of the 80 ohms while I was talking about the 250 ohms.. but thanks for your reply
Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/596410/are-the-dt-770s-right-for-me

J3 and X7 has 29mW vs 30mW basically the same output power.

2 minute search...

I really searched the forums and only thread I found was another person with exact same question. But thanks a lot for finding that thread for me, i guess I could use the 250 ohms unamped, thanks! 

May 23, 2013 at 4:59 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
Sorry! I was thinking of the 80 ohms while I was talking about the 250 ohms.. but thanks for your reply
I really searched the forums and only thread I found was another person with exact same question. But thanks a lot for finding that thread for me, i guess I could use the 250 ohms unamped, thanks! 

Your welcome, the forum search isn't really good in my opinion, do a google search instead, although I am skeptical on how good the 250ohm version sounds (quality wise) on a j3. My sony HM1c nearly gets up to 30 on my j3.

If you quickly look at the first few results of this google search:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=dt770+250+or+80&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

I don't think it's a good idea to get the 250ohm version unless you plan to mainly use it at home with a more powerful amp.

May 23, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Your welcome, the forum search isn't really good in my opinion, do a google search instead, although I am skeptical on how good the 250ohm version sounds (quality wise) on a j3. My sony HM1c nearly gets up to 30 on my j3.

If you quickly look at the first few results of this google search:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=dt770+250+or+80&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb

I don't think it's a good idea to get the 250ohm version unless you plan to mainly use it at home with a more powerful amp.

Will the 80 ohms work better then? because they're like only max 20 euros more. 

May 23, 2013 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
Will the 80 ohms work better then? because they're like only max 20 euros more. 

I strongly suggest you do some reading, it'll take you 10 min, and give you a much better picture than just taking one opinion (and don't have these headphones). Perhaps you'll find useful information steering you to another headphone that may suit you better.

I only stepped in because you seem to have problems searching.

If I only had the choice of the two and I don't plan on using them with a decent amp much, then 80ohm will be my choice, since you don't want the volume levels (displayed on the player) to be at its extremes where there is likely distortion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back