Cowon D2 or Zen Wireless or...
Oct 23, 2008 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

midnightwalker

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for a mp3 player that can treat my hiphop, dance, pop music.

So, it's just a small survey to support my decision
happy_face1.gif
Thanks all

Oct 23, 2008 at 2:41 AM Post #2 of 15
Either wait for the new Cowon S9, or get a Sony player. Both have (or will have) amazing SQ. The D2 is still an excellent option, but the new iAudio tech is just around the corner. FWIW I prefer the Sony sound sig a little more than my D2's, but this is just my opinion.

Oct 23, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by midnightwalker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm looking for a mp3 player that can treat my hiphop, dance, pop music.

For hiphop, dance, is clearly Sony NWZ-A82x series better than Cowon D2 (I'm not sure about the Zen) at least for me.

Oct 24, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

someone can help me out to add 1 more option Sony NWZ-A82x

tkssssssssssss

I have it & it kicks AZZ!!! The blue tooth is a dead option for me tho, I just got a better deal on it than the A729. Get 1 and you'll be amazed at the quality of the sound.
beerchug.gif

Oct 29, 2008 at 7:53 AM Post #7 of 15
zen wireless = zen xfi? well that's pretty nice for its x-fi with the latest firmware. Played numerous music and videos on it and it was an nice! I like using it to chat while i'm out but will need some getting used to the buttons

Oct 29, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #8 of 15
The X-Fi is a budget player w/horrible sd integration, and bad sound enhancements. The settings do nothing but make the music artificial, and exaggerated. Crystalize settings just add a (very bad) layer of haze to the music, claiming to give back what was lost, sound better than cd quality. X-Fi Expand is exactly what it's called, horrible 3D imaging. This player, nor the zen,can compare to the Sony players. I had the Zen, and I will judge a budget player when it's compared to a premium player, like the Sony A72X/82X series.
The same also goes for the D2, premium player, creative isn't even in the same bldg as Cowon!!!!

angry_face.gif
NEXT!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 12:27 PM Post #9 of 15
@nywytboy68

you are saying that sound enhancements are bad make the music artificial and exaggerated. You know what - you are right - but people have choice and some people actually like these effects and this is why every single dap maker gives these or similar options. People who like them would not come to this forum I am sure because they would be simple folks who want it louder, bassier and crispier only and do not care about real audio fidelity. But you can leave all these enhancers off!

ZEN players that I know have always had great sound quality.
I see no reason why this would deteriorate with this model (I do not have it, not yet). My first dap was Nomad Jukebox ZEN 3 and that also had effects. They were completely useless, but the player itself was nonetheless great.

If you do not like the extra effects - do not press that button
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 31, 2008 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 15
Behemot: I'm not saying the enhancements on the X-Fi make this player sound bad(I have a D2 and an A829 - these are MADE for enhancements), or that some shouldn't have a choice. What I'm saying is that this player, and the Zen, are both failures that creative have made. Comparing them to the D2, or the Sony players, it just doesn't compete. Besides, the poster came out w/guns a'blazin' in another thread. I'm making sure the facts are kept straight in relation to the corralation between the D2, Sony's, and the Zen/X-Fi players. These are the creative players that have turned them into a crap pusher, and the fact they refuse to even integrate the sd card into the library of these players is a joke. I have a history w/the zen32gb, this is where I'm coming from. And, I've had a few other creative player also.

Oct 31, 2008 at 11:34 PM Post #11 of 15
Crystalizer is not actually like a jet effect. Its effect is generally hardly visible [after 1.04, you can compare it with a Sony's flat sound, there wont be a huge difference], so it must not be compared with BBE - Mach3Bass or Clear Bass.

Creative players are always good sounding players, and I can say that Zen X-Fi is the best sounding player of Creative [less powerful than Zen Vision:M and Touch, but better sound signature].

I love the Sony sound. But, in fact, I can say that there is not a huge difference between these players. Yes, if you like enhancements, if you like to use an EQ and jet effects, then a Sony or a Cowon may be the best choice [Vibez is still better IMO
biggrin.gif
] but their unprocessed sounds are not "that" different [moreover; Cowon's unprocessed sound is worse than Creative in my opinion].

Creative may deserve that critisizing, because they never listen the requests of consumers, but I think their players are not worse that the other top players. Zen X-Fi has two drawbacks- SD card integration issue and no lossless support [Sony is not different]. On the other hand, I like Creative interface which, for instance, allows on the go playlisting and deleting [my A818 makes me crazy with its stupid options]...

Nov 1, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #12 of 15
when my zvm died i bought a zen , my firend had a zvm so i tested both player sq wise and um...i didnt really hear that "horrible zen sq" compared to my zvm

whats up with all the creative hating these days? they still have more to offer then those ipods...at a much lower price

Nov 1, 2008 at 10:28 AM Post #13 of 15
I'll tell you right out what I think of the Creative UI,........ I love it. It's 1 of, if the the best looking interfaces I've ever used. And the fact that the player allows playlists to be created on their players is wonderful. And yes, deleting a file directly from the player w/out having to hook it up to a computer is also 1 of the features I wish Sony would implement. Creative really hasn't listened to any customer requests either, and that's too bad, as they really are loosing fans by the minute. At least Sony is trying now, as they're allowing customization, and soon they probably will do on-the-go playlists and deleting directly from the player.

Nov 9, 2008 at 9:31 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

i've just bought a sony walkman and will compare it to cowon d2.

Also, my friend told me that the ipod with idock cable that can improve the sound to remarkable quality ...is it true?

The D2 and Sony players, IMO, have the best SQ (w/enhancements & EQ) on the market, through the HP out. If your going to use an LOD>Amp combo, that's a whole other ballgame. If your going that route, don't bother w/a comparison, it's a moot issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back