Couple of quick Sansa Clip questions
Nov 4, 2008 at 9:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kazakore

100+ Head-Fier
Well I had almost convinced myself to splash out and get a Cowon D2 but have since decided I know what I'm like with my equipment and I will end up breaking it (especially the fragile touchscreen) if it's not stolen off me for stupidly flashing it about while wasted in the wrong neighbourhood.

That coupled with the fact I'm surviving with the amount of music on a 2GB card in my phone for my everyday commutes is making me consider the SanDisk Sansa Clip. Will consider something such as the D2 when I next go away for some extended time but for everyday usage I'm thinking this will do me.

It will be a shame to loose Ogg Vorbis and AAC support but probably over 90% of my collection is mp3 so think I can live with it.

A large proportion of the music I listen to on the move is friends DJ mixes and the majority of these do not have any tags so browsing by file structure is still important so first question is whether the Sansa Clip allows you to do this.

Secondly is checking that all models are of the same quality. Thought when I last looked it was only available in 1 and 2Gb version and am not looking at a 4GB model. Do they all have the same sound quality and ability to drive low impedance headphones (even though I'll mostly be using my HD25 I will probably grab a pair of inexpensive earphones such as the Sennheiser CX range at some point.)

Thanks again to everybody on this site who has helped me with questions past and future.

Nov 4, 2008 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 10
Hmm Ogg wasn't mentioned on any of the vendors descriptions I checked, which is usually ripped straight from the manufacturers site. Only a small portion of my stuff is Ogg anyway...

How is it for browsing/playing non-tagged media?

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazakore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm Ogg wasn't mentioned on any of the vendors descriptions I checked, which is usually ripped straight from the manufacturers site. Only a small portion of my stuff is Ogg anyway...

OGG support appeared with a firmware update, after hearing user feedbacks... I'm surprised, too, that Sansa didn't update their Clip specs on their website.....

Quote:

How is it for browsing/playing non-tagged media?

I don't think the Clip can browse by folder structure... People have been requesting it in the official forum... and since Sansa seems to listen to user feedbacks, we'll see......

Nov 4, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think the Clip can browse by folder structure... People have been requesting it in the official forum... and since Sansa seems to listen to user feedbacks, we'll see......

That's a shame. I hope they do as a large number of my music mixes aren't tagged and I'm too lazy to go through them all just to make it easier to play them on the move...

Nov 5, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kazakore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a shame. I hope they do as a large number of my music mixes aren't tagged and I'm too lazy to go through them all just to make it easier to play them on the move...

You could use one of the tagging programs to batch process them so the filenames and folder structure becomes tags.

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:22 AM Post #7 of 10
"That's a shame. I hope they do as a large number of my music mixes aren't tagged and I'm too lazy to go through them all just to make it easier to play them on the move..."

I use Winamp to make my own Tags for tracks like dj mixes . If you try this, just go to file/view file info. Just type in the title and band. That's all you'll really need.
The Clip may be very low on software features, but it's so practical because of it's portability that it's almost perfect. It's almost like there's nothing on the end of the headphone wire!

Nov 5, 2008 at 8:56 AM Post #8 of 10
It's so light I only use the first part connector of my Denon's to connect then just clip it to my shirt/backpack.

As far as playback I am at mp3 320kbps and it plays this pretty well. It drives the Denon C551s with ease (custom ear tips help isolation also).

pink

Nov 10, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acurat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"That's a shame. I hope they do as a large number of my music mixes aren't tagged and I'm too lazy to go through them all just to make it easier to play them on the move..."

I use Winamp to make my own Tags for tracks like dj mixes . If you try this, just go to file/view file info. Just type in the title and band. That's all you'll really need.
The Clip may be very low on software features, but it's so practical because of it's portability that it's almost perfect. It's almost like there's nothing on the end of the headphone wire!

Yeah I know. Most the music I listen to on the move is new to me so haven't yet gone through it and adjusted filenames or tags or anything, or even decided if I want to keep it or if it will go in the recycle bin after listening. As long as it shows filename if there are no tags I can live with it. That's what my phone (which I currently use) does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back