Couple of questions, coming from full-size user.
Oct 26, 2010 at 8:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

matthewh133

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey everyone, just wondering if I could get some recommendations on a portable rig. I am coming from a full-size mostly background, using the HD650, AD900 etc.. but I need something for when I am out on my runs/exercising/shopping etc. I am looking at spending around $300 max. I also realize that while outside and going through shopping centers sound quality might not be the most important thing, so if you have a cheaper IEM that will do a great job feel free to suggest it. I am also looking at getting the predator to match with my IEMs, and will be running it through an iPod. Is the predator a worthy investment for out-and-about use with a pair of $300 IEMs?

My short list I have put together from research includes:

- Earsonics SM3
 - Westone 3

My music tastes include mainly indie rock/rock/acoustic/ambient/post-rock/death metal. I like Grado-esque guitars, with a nice sparkly treble and a thumping, but not muddy kick drum coming through my rock music. A good soundstage is also something I enjoy. Thanks a lot for any recommendations and assistance. It is greatly appreciated!

Oct 26, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #3 of 13
I am not really considering the IE8 as its bass sounds way too overbearing and into the mids for my liking. I also do not like the sound of recessed mids or highs. I do not listen to most bass heavy music, I just like a slamming kick drum.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:30 PM Post #8 of 13
Did some more research and it seems the TF10 may be a bit uncomfortable for use when running, and the cable is heavier. I am leaning more towards the SM3 and Westone 3. What do you guys think of these two for what I have suggested that I want from my sound?

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #9 of 13
The TF10 may be uncomfortable depending on your ears. I was never able to get a good enough fit where they wouldn't hurt when they were in my ears. The housings are large and one of the worst ergonomics I've seen.

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:50 PM Post #10 of 13
Personally, I feel that if you're going to be running or engaging in other physical activity with your IEMs, you want a good ergonomic shape and an over the ear fit. That leaves the W3, sm3, or JH5 from your list. Definitely stay away from the triple.fi. Looking at them, one would be forgiven for thinking the designer had never seen a human ear before.
rolleyes.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 11:57 PM Post #11 of 13

Quote:
Personally, I feel that if you're going to be running or engaging in other physical activity with your IEMs, you want a good ergonomic shape and an over the ear fit. That leaves the W3, sm3, or JH5 from your list. Definitely stay away from the triple.fi. Looking at them, one would be forgiven for thinking the designer had never seen a human ear before.
rolleyes.gif

Yeah I pretty much decided the TF10 was out now.. seems too uncomfortable, and I want to forget I am wearing them.

Oct 27, 2010 at 12:59 AM Post #12 of 13
In my opinion, unmodded SM3 is lacking some edge in the high mids. Some head-fiers replace the stock paper-like filters of SM3 and tweak the sound to their liking with other materials like foam. Do some search on the locked SM3 thread will show you precious information on this ^^

Although out of your budget, based on what I read (as I don't own one), I suggest looking into SE535 as well. If I were you, I would spend the money for SE535 than on an amp
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
But that is just me.

Oct 27, 2010 at 5:25 PM Post #13 of 13
DBA-02 should work based on your sound preference.

Quote:
I am not really considering the IE8 as its bass sounds way too overbearing and into the mids for my liking. I also do not like the sound of recessed mids or highs. I do not listen to most bass heavy music, I just like a slamming kick drum.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back